Hibiclens Five Days Ahead?!

babette12

Country
United States United States
Learned at my pre-op appt. that I need to wash daily with Hibiclens for 5 days before surgery! Has anyone else had to do this? Seems like a lot of days.

Wow. No washing instructions at all for me.

It's quiet common to have to shower with an antiseptic lotion before surgery. The number of days depends on your surgeon's protocol.

I didn’t mind all the antibacterial showers 4 days before surgery. Just the 4:30am shower the morning of surgery! I had to wash my hair as well. That was not a pleasant morning! :tantrum::tantrum2:

I had to do it for a week! It's no problem. Just use the stuff instead of your usual shower gel.

Besides which, it's better than risking an infection, surely?

Same here. I used it for a week. And I was asked to shower with it both the night before surgery AND the morning of. Which I did. Anything to lower the risk of infection.

Every hospital and surgeon is different. and many procedures vary from hospital to hospital. As a matter of fact, some things are changing so rapidly that one of the nurses in the pre-surgery area jokingly replied to my question about this weird blowing warm disposable "blanket" on my gurney, that that was supposed to help keep germs down (I think that was her explanation) so they were using them...then she added with a grin, "this week anyway". I asked her how they keep up with all the changes lately, and she said it's not too hard as long as she doesn't take more than a couple of days off. She was joking, but I think there was some truth to her joke. I've had a lot of surgery and some things have been noticeably different each time. (For instance, just a couple of years ago the usual stay at my hospital after a TKR was 3-4 days, now most patients go home the same day)

Yes, 5 days before surgery Hebiclens.

I've had to use Dial gold soap (hate the stuff) for two weeks and then shower tonight, wipe down with those anti-bacterial cloths an hour later, wear clean jammies and sleep in a clean bed tonight. Get up tomorrow and then wipe down with cloths before leaving for the hospital. It's funny clean nightclothes and bedding were stressed but nothing about clean clothes the morning of surgery.

Yes just two days for me. Seems like most things all Drs have their own way of doing things

Here I have had three major surgeries in 5 years and husband one. Four different hospitals, 2 NHS. one State and one Private. All admit you the day before and you are showered with medicated soap the day of surgery. The shortest length of hospitalisation was four days for my Lumpectomy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom