THR Hi, Yearly update

Hi still in the land of the living ! Like to wish you all a belated Happy new year :wave:. Can't believe it is coming up to a year since my first op you begin to forget just how bad things were before I am so grateful for what having these 2 new hips has done for me it is truly life changing. Those of you who may recall the insect bite:badspidy: that turned into an ulcer after second op in May finally resolved in about November I think that was more hassle than anything to do with either hip recovery ! I am now back in the gym and pool getting some weight off and building fitness and strength back up, I have a little bit of an ache on my right side but think I have overdone the swimming recently have an annual check with surgeon on Friday . For those who remember my 2018 was a rather traumatic year in more ways than hip replacement and it finished itself off in true form with other half deciding she wants a divorce, I have so many unanswered questions but have now gone through a lot of realisations and discovered a lot of unfortunate truths and want to move forward and rebuild that part of my life sometimes you hust have to let go and move ahead what a year it has been !!! :sigh:. I hope all old friends out there are well will try and do a bit of catching up and all the best to all you new hippies for a speedy and successful recovery :SUNsmile:

Hi Martin,
It's so nice to see your update. You've had an extremely rough year and I'm very sorry to read the news about your marriage. I sincerely hope it all works out for the best and that you find peace and happiness once all is resolved.

Unbelievable that the bug bite caused you that much trouble. It's good to hear it's finally cleared up. It has to feel so great and fulfilling to be swimming, working out and targeting some lbs you want to lose. All positive.

Good luck with your one year post op visit. You have fiends here, please don't forget it, we care. Stop by anytime, we love to hear how you're doing. Wishing you only the best as you move forward.
@mcopt

@mcopt - it's so good to hear from you, Martin. I was hoping you'd stop in soon with the one year coming up on the first. If I recall, we were looking for a haz mat suit for you about this time last year to protect you from that nasty flu bug!

So sorry to hear about the divorce. That's always tough but even more so when there's a young one involved. I don't know if it was part of it, but health issues can either reveal the cracks in a relationship or mend the cracks. Maybe you should plan a trip or outing that you would enjoy but you wouldn't have done before because it wasn't her cup of tea - especially if it's something that wouldn't be possible without your new hips!

I'm glad the radioactive spider bite finally cleared up. That must have been annoying as heck!

I've had my own issues with the second hip - more annoying than anything - but am hopefully putting those behind me after a tendon surgery a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to a much improved 2019! Keep in touch!

Martin---haven't met you before on the Forum---my surgery was in August and I somehow missed your mishaps in 2018. I will need to go back through your thread and read about your year. I'm sorry you have had such a rough time physically, and personally----but hopeful this new year brings you some peace and understanding, and a chance to reset and start again:)

Based on what I have read in the last couple posts on your thread, I am gathering that a spider bite set you back somehow? As I said, I'll go back and read about it. But it reminded me of a crazy experience I had several years ago, where a rose thorn prick on my thumb during fall clean up led to a severe 4 month infection, along with the inability to use my right hand, a cast, and multiple antibiotics that led to cdificil and eventually triggered an autoimmune response, which I still am dealing with. It was bizarre---took me many months to make my way through it---such a fluke experience. :gaah:

Sounds like you had something similar happen. Life!!!! And yet, I have no complaints....I have been incredibly fortunate on all accounts, and hope you will be as well!

Hello Martin,
@mcopt, I was very happy to read a new post from you this morning, but so sorry your second half wants a divorce. What a pity. I've always enjoyed your sense of humour and cheerful posts here in bonesmart. I was also pleased with the encouragement you gave me when I had my cataract operated last autumn and described the process to me. It was as you described it. I only need reading glasses and no glasses for driving, sport, computer work, everyday life.
I also wish you peace and happiness now that your hip and your insect bite are better. Have you still got a motorbike? My husband sold his years ago. In those days, we often had motorbike rides together with me on the back (I don't have a motorbike license). We enjoyed motorbikes along the Rhine river for example, and even went to England together on it. My first daughter has still got her motorbike. Do carry on posting here and let us know how your 1-year anniversary hip checkup went.
Best wishes - Constanze

@mcopt Thanks for stopping by with an update! Sounds like 2018 was just not your year. Hope 2019 brings you peace and happiness. Don't be a stranger!

:wave:@mcopt
You have been missed.:yes:

Hate to hear you have so many things to deal with on top of hip replacement recovery. Life can feel very unfair sometimes.
Glad to know your hips are doing well...getting through life's struggles AND dealing with bad hips...insufferable.
Hope the New Year brings you health and happiness!:)

Hey @mcopt - I am so sorry for your rough year. What a great thing, though, to have both operations behind you.

Being 5 1/2 and 4 months out respectively, I have realized pretty recently what a major gift I gave myself by getting both hips done in 2018. The change in my energy level has been profound. I still wake up with one or both hips aching, but it is absolutely nothing like the burning arthritis pain that was so exhausting and depressing and was not going to get any better on its own. Being able to walk normally and at a brisk pace is such a gift. Great news that you are spending quality time in the pool and at the gym.

I wish you a wonderful 2019!

Happy one year hippiversary on hip #2!

Happy One Year Anniversary!
I hope 2019 brings you peace and happiness.
@mcopt

One Year:wowspring:Hope all is well with you friend.
Dealing with life with good hips beats the alternative for sure.

Hope this year brings you continued good health and new happiness!:SUNsmile:

Hi @mcopt lovely to see you on the forum but so sorry to hear that your year ended so badly! I think 2018 was probably my worst year ever and am very hopeful 2019 is better so I wish the same for you my friend.

:scary:Hi it's been a while . I have just had my 2 year anniversary of my first (right) new hip.
Just like to say hi to all my friends on here and thanks for all the support I found from this forum before and after my 2 hip replacements it truly made such a difference to have so much help support and quite a bit of fun along my journey thank you x.
My hips and the rest of me seem to be doing great fully active again swimming gym work cycling and out across Europe on my motorcycle still working sorting eyes out I will be eternally grateful to my surgeon Mike Cronin who performed such a brilliant SuperPath procedure on both hips it has given me my life back.
I hope everyone is keeping ok and their new hips are doing what they should thanks again for this forum I hope many more find as much help and support from it as I did :wave:

Hi @mcopt
It's good to read your 2-year update.

I've merged it into your existing thread, as it's really a continuing story.
Best wishes.

Thanks things seem a little different since I last posted so need to get used to the forum again

@mcopt
Oh, so happy you popped back on to let us know how happy your hips are!
The site has indeed had an upgrade and I'm glad Celle "put you in your place":heehee: so your story can have this happy chapter in it.
Happy 2 year for Righty! Glad you are living life and having fun.:egypdance::hog:

I think about how horrid my hips were 3 years ago, and how truly grateful I am when I can go throw my legs over my ATV and ride without pain.
Walking is smooth as silk and sleeping is bliss!
How lucky we are.
My BIL just got Harley #2.
Bought a RoadKing formerly police bike and named her Black Betty (other one is Scarlett)
As soon as he signed the papers, his truck tore up and his well pump quit.:loll:

Hello Martin!
What a treat to see your name in the line up this morning! It's so nice when old friends stop by. It's been awhile and you've crossed my mind at times through reminders on the forum and then I've hoped you were doing well. You've also brought, Bevlah, to mind in stopping by. I may need to see if I can get an update from her. I'm sure, SaraK, will also enjoy your reading your post. We did all have some laughs together through your surgeries and recoveries.

Happy Two Year Anniversary! Whew, time flies. You seem to be doing so well and thankfully back engaging in all of the things you enjoy. May 2020 bring you good health, much happiness and abundant love. Stay safe on your bike and stop by for Lefty's two year. We will look forward to hearing from you again. Until then, all the best! :wave:
@mcopt

Hello Martin, @mcopt
So nice you're back again. Enjoy swimming, cycling and your motorbike. My husband also had a motorbike- a Pan European from Honda - we actually went to England on it once. But he sold it now.

I enjoy work and sport with my new hip and my newly acquired eyesight (after this cataract op). Driving without glasses is brilliant - and seeing sharp under water and above the water while swimming in a lake, too. Actually did a half Ironman in summer 2018.

But 2019 was terrible. I fractured my left tibia head last October after falling over with my bicycle on the way to work. Simply cycled way too fast. So back to square 1. And - oh my goodness - this recovery took 3 complete months (while after my left hip replacement it took me only 6 weeks to get back to normal).

But let's hope this will be a new good decade. I'm back to swimming, cycling, and running. And on Monday we'll fly to Brisbane, Australia, to see our daughter who has moved there.

Enjoy yourself and - all the best - Constanze

Hello, Martin! I just checked in after not being on for a couple weeks and was pleased to see your post! I was thinking about you the other day and wondered how you were doing. Glad to see such a wonderful update!

Take care and hope to hear more from you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom