THR Hi, Yearly update

Sounds like accidents are common, we're in good company, Martin :heehee:
I'll bet many wet the bed and just aren't admitting it :wink: Bevlah hit the nail on the head!

Hope you're going home soon, if you haven't already.
Wishing you a great day and a peaceful relaxing week at home.
@mcopt

Second physio session done managed the stairs on crutches will be having a third night in as it was a late operation last time I was done by 10am so home on third day but all being well home on Monday mind you not complaining I am the only patient in the hospital so have all the nurses at the end of my buzzer! You do forget how tired this makes you during the first days and weeks you should never underestimate the trauma the body has to go through, still with 8 nurses to myself I am sure I will survive :wink:

Aww, poor Martin with 8 women tending to his every beck and call :heehee:
This will be good practice to get you back into the swing of dealing with 8, or more
of us when you return home :rotfl:

Please try really, really hard to enjoy the bevy of babes catering to your every whim.:loll:
C'mon...I know you can do it!

We've missed you, this should be fun! Hope your day is great!
@mcopt

Wave @mcop. —

Enjoy the nurses attention. We are on the similar paths of double hips in short time frame. Not my idea of fun, but necessary.
You’ll be riding your bike in no time!

We’ll have to keep updating our progress.
Happy Sunday to you and rest well.

@Kikki

Glad you're doing well! 8 nurses? Oh, my! I hope they're preparing you for the onslaught from us! You say they can outrun you? Have you tested this theory?

@SaraK yeah don't stand a chance running but crutches are very good at tripping up :rotfl:
@Kikki no not a fun few months but trying to be positive and just looking forward to getting a life back planning some rides to give me something to aim at I don't know which is easier knowing what to expect or being unaware of what its like will let you know in a few days all the best for a great recovery this time :SUNsmile:

:wave: Hope you are getting ready to be out of that hospital and home...
I'm glad you are in good spirits and yes, even small tasks are SO exhausting as I remember:thud:
Sending healing thoughts your way

Got back home yesterday around midday nice to be back but you feel a little vulnerable for half a day or so after all the care in the hospital had reasonable nights sleep and new hip felt ok this morning managed a short walk up the road to the local church and sat in the sunshine for a bit the weather is lovely here at the moment also managed a short very light spin bike ride both hips felt brilliant will slowly increase the time everyday surgeon said it was a good thing to do but will obviously listen to my legs not going to ruin things after going through all this you do forget how quickly tiredness can creep up on you in the early days so a little nap in the sun now I think:sleep: before another 30 minutes fast spin biking ....only joking @Mojo333 :snork:

Only joking? Does that mean it's really going to be 60 minutes? Glad you're feeling able to take a stroll and sit in the sun!

Are you on that high, where you're feeling so thankful surgery is behind you and that ghastly familiar pain is finally gone? Life seems so full of promise and you feel like you have another chance? I recall that feeling
so well. I've told a story how one month post op I walked into a grocery store early one morning, unassisted and in no pain! The sky was clear and blue, the weather was beautiful, birds chirping and I felt ALL was right with the world. I was emotional and I thanked God. I told myself I'd put that moment in my memory bank, never to be forgotten. Then to top it off I leisurely walked through the grocery store instead of heavily leaning in the cart, grabbing only what I needed in a hurried fashion to get back to the relief of my car. Ugh!

We're lucky, we're blessed. This surgery is an opportunity at a second chance. It's wonderful that you now have both surgeries behind you, Martin. After all you've been through over the past few months, I hope the second half of 2018 brings you only peace and happiness.

:nah:Oh my stars, mcopt. Honestly, can you just not!
One of the things I've learned that is not helpful when dealing with others..whether my children, work constituents, or people in general...is using the phrase "I told you so"

I am considering making an exception to this rule should you cause yourself unnecessary aggravations (if you even dare to own up SO WE CAN ALL learn)

@Layla totally agree with your sentiments we are so fortunate having been given this opportunity at normal life again regardless of the difficulties of getting there.
@Mojo333 I promise that through no fault of my own will you have to say I told you so to me, these new hips are hard won how you coped having both at the same time I don't think I can comprehend no even with 4000miles and a big puddle between us your voice rings loud and clear I will be sensible :SUNsmile:

:thankyou: need you to be OK

And I can find you!:skep:

Hope all is well with you today.
Matching incisions?
One of mine is a bit longer.
They took pictures individually at my one year appointment then pulled them together to line up pelvic bones to show me all was even so no LLD.
Wonder if they will do that when they see you for first post op xrays?

These hips may get you to the top of the mountain...if you do choose to wear them out like that.
But I can definitely say NO PAIN riding even on wide ATV seat.
I could NOT do that at all eventually before my surgery.
Life will be grand, just take it easy.

@Mojo333 surgeon reckons they are a matching pair they are going to send me a set of post op x rays. Bit of a worry last night I developed a slight fever and temperature I noticed 3 bright red patches on my right(first op) lower leg was concerned it was insect bites or possibly DVT I went to my doctor first thing this morning she confirmed it was bites the little pests must have got me whilst sitting in the garden in shorts yesterday she has put me on a short course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side don't want infections affecting the new hips . Now if I had been wearing TEDs like last time the little critters couldn't have got me !

I'm sorry, Martin.
I'm sure that was scary until it was confirmed as bug bites.
We go through so much to get to the point you're at and the thought of
suffering a set back is extremely unpleasant.
Hope you're able to catch up on any sleep you may have lost last evening.
Best wishes for a peaceful day!
@mcopt

Well week 1 of hip 2 completed far less tired today than previous days new joint feels good little bit of swelling and bruising around the wound but not too much managing on one crutch and drove perfectly comfortably (there was a reason to do it) getting in and out of car easier than pre op . Thats the good news ! The 3 insect bites that I had on my right leg (first hip) were still very angry with some swelling around my ankle and not improving at all despite 2 days of antibiotics. I decided to visit a private GP locally his background is in dermatology he was concerned explained they are worse because of blood thinners and had doubled the dose and duration of antibiotics he warned if it continues to get worse over the next few days I would have to have IV antibiotics the big worry here is this developing into cellulitis with the possibility of the bacteria affrecting the new joints with devastating consequences I really don't want more surgery yet so l am keeping a close watch he has drawn a dotted line around each bite and if the redness spreads past this go straight to hospital I am just hoping the higher dose works. So all you hippies with new or not so new joints please be aware of being bitten especially at this time of year with loads of bugs about and lots of bare legs in the sunshine watch any bite if it flares up at all get to see a doctor asap (the reason I had to drive was to get myself to doctors and pick up meds was on my own today) will keep you updated :badspidy::spider:

I'm so sorry to read this. Recovery is enough in itself but now you need to keep a watchful eye on this.
Prayers there is no negative change, only improvement. It's good you were aware and proactive.
I'll bet it pays off. Thanks for taking the time to warn others to be mindful.

It sounds as though you're doing well aside from the bites. May it only get better.
I hope your weekend is peaceful and relaxing. Keep in touch!
@mcopt

@mcopt keeping everything crossed (apart from my legs of course!) That it will be ok for you. Enjoy the wedding tomorrow

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88