• BLUE TOOLBAR CHANGES! We've made some minor adjustments to the categories in the blue tool bar at the top of your screen. You may notice some links in a different drop-down menu, but everything is still there.
ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

Hi y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
G

Gringo

senior
Well, I did it. Surgery was Monday late afternoon. I was released from the hospital at noon today (Thursday). So from pre-op to release was a little less than three days.

Ain't hydrocodone wonderful.

stives

graduate
Been waiting to hear from you all week. That is a very brief post!

Where are you now? How did it go? How do you feel? What happens next?

Lots of questions - I'll expect some answers. However, we're hours ahead of you and I'm just off to bed, so I'll log on tomorrow and hope you've done some posting.

Glad it's all over for you - do you have to have the second knee done, or were they both done?

Val

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Hey, Gringo!!!! Great to read your post and know you are into recovery mode. So how are you feeling???? No pain, I would guess with the drugs. There's something to be said for letting the mind take a little vacation after such a traumatic event as surgery. Enjoy it! Now the real work begins!

Texas

alpha
Gringo I am so happy for you. You will be fine from here on out ( hope not to many bad ones) but your strong and will make it. Dont over do it..................Stives how you are feeling well. You should see your Dr soon right? I hope you are doing well. just keep on going forward ....Kim

Judles

alpha
Country
YAY, Gringo! So glad you're on the other side! We can't wait to hear your take on things! Rest up! And enjoy your Tex-Mex!!!! :)

OP
OP
G

Gringo

senior
Mrs. took some photos of me walking on it, but the camera was mis-set to Macro mode and they are all blurry.

What's the story with these white stockings? Did y'all all have to wear them? I feel like I need a matching tutu or something.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Lots of people are fortunate enough to have the TEDS hose. They are compression hose and help prevent blood clots. Some docs feel if you're up and around enough you don't need them, but many others advise them for a while. I wore mine for 2 weeks after surgery.....hated them!!! I think it would be much worse for a guy, though....hairly legs and all. Of course, you probably know by now they are murder to get on once you take them off.

Surfsister

senior
I didn't wear the stockings at all. Since I was getting up and moving around while I was still in the hospital and it was obvious to one and all that I had no intention of sitting still during my recovery, I was told I didn't need them. I'd rather have worn the white stockings than give myself the twice daily injections of blood thinners.

Judles

alpha
Country
Phew!!! I was really lucky!!! No TEDS or shots!!!! :). Took Coumadin for a few weeks and had to have my blood monitored! :)

calling_all_angels

big-cheese
Country
Gringo,
So happy to hear from you. I was starting to worry about you!!! After you said the
hospital was wired for laptops and you were taking yours, and then not hearing from
you scared me alittle!!!! LOL But I am so glad to hear that you are now on the
otherside!!!! Let the recovery start!
^i^
RTKR on Jan 14 2009
LTKR on March 6 2009

stives

graduate
How about a photo of the white stockings and the tutu? LOL!

I've got to wear mine for six weeks, but I'm happy about that 'cos I've always got cold feet anyway. I must admit I'm wearing dark socks over the top, and trousers, so no-one can see them (the white stockings, I mean).

Are you walking around? I'm not using any aids around the house, but have two crutches for when I go out. I have to go and have my 33 staples out later today - hope the nurse is better than the one who did it last time, 'cos it was rather painful!

Have you been told what the OS has done? Did they find enough bits and pieces to sort you worst knee out?

When will you be able to go home?

Did La Gringo get her back problems looked at?

OP
OP
G

Gringo

senior
I asked about the details of the surgery yesterday, and was told I should ask the Physician's Assistant, as he was involved and I have a better chance of getting an answer from him than I do from the surgeon. I did not see my OS yesterday, but he was off fixing more knees all day.

The new knee is strange. It was a little shorter than the other leg, and now it's a little bit longer. So I definitely list to the right when I am standing up. I am hobbling around using a walker so far, and one of those stiff loop things to lift the leg up onto flat surfaces, etc.

I have been having bizarre, albeit entertaining dreams, and the pain meds that worked well before the surgery now make me very nauseous. So bad that I don't even want to take them. I have no appetite at all.

Other than that, things are choogling along.

stives

graduate
Good to hear from you. That nausea is horrible, isn't it. I suffered with it when I had my first TKR, but second time round I asked the doc for an injection to help with it - and it worked. Maybe the docs can do something to help you, 'cos it's definitely not nice.

What on earth have you been dreaming about? Hope it was good things!

I've just had my 33 staples out, and had to reward myself with chocolate cake and afternoon tea. Don't suppose that would appeal to you if you've no appetite.

Keep posted - hope to hear that you are feeling a bit better soon. We told you it was hard work, didn't we - you'll soon be feeling better, delighted with the new knee, and keen to get back on the boat.

I'm not using any aids walking around the house now, and my new knee already feels strong - brilliant!

Surfsister

senior
Great news that you're up and around, Gringo. I've got nothing good to say about the pain meds. I got myself off of them as soon as I could. I wasn't eating while I was on them. I felt horrible. Now I'm off them, taking Aleve twice a day and having a half a glass of wine at night.

I found the first few days after surgery were the least entertaining. Now, 11 days on, I'm not feeling much pain and I'm moving about with a cane. I don't even use the cane much when I'm in the house.

Keep taking the pain meds. If possible, take them with a little something (like food or milk) in your stomach. I was told that would help with the nausea.

OP
OP
G

Gringo

senior
Having been a teenager in the 60's, I pretty much figured I would never meet a pain pill I didn't like, but I think I have. It's not just the nausea and total lack of appetite, but I feel bizarre. Depressed, and just generally bad. I know it's the hydrocodone. I was running an off and on again fever in the hospital and they told me to take the codeine/tylenol for that, but those seem to affect me the same way. Strange, they didn't do this before the surgery.

The memory of the pain I went through in the recovery room before they finally just knocked me out again is fading a bit, in my mind at least. I don't think my wife is going to forget it so easily,but then she just witnessed it, and didn't experience it. Oh well, it's over with.

Texas

alpha
My Dr gave me suppository for the Nausea , they work great. Today my hubby asked what I wanted to eat, I said eggs, bacon and a side of suppositoy...lol

OP
OP
G

Gringo

senior
Oh, I forgot to count the staples when we were changing the dressing last night. I just looked at a photo and it looks like there are something like 28 of them. They come out Monday after next. I have a very basic light bandage on the incision, which the hospital nurse said I should just use until it seals up and stops leaking. Then there are two puncture wounds, one of which was the drain. I don't know what the other one was for. My OS is not a wealth of information. He did stop by twice, but basically all he said was that I had a really bad knee, and that he had to do a lot of work on it, and another time that I had a lot of surgery compared to some others. As far as the nuts and bolts of all that, I don't really know what specifically he had to do that was extra.

I do know that I now have a Stryker Triathalon knee in there, and it's stable! And I list to the starboard when standing up to pee now. Guess I better start adjusting for a new windage.

Oh, the CPM. I had read here that some people hated it. I did not hate it at all. I cranked it up to 90 degrees and -10 the first morning after surgery. I had it at 100 degrees before they took it away from me yesterday. It was relaxing. I could have fallen asleep with it. So for those who are just starting down this trail, I would say not to fear the CPM machine. Heck, I wish I had one here at the hotel. It gave me no pain at all.

Wednesday night after they pulled the catheter out I was sneaking off to the bathroom in the hospital alone, without calling the nurse, just to do it. They had me listed as a "fall risk" on the paperwork, since I had two bad knees to start with, and told me I was not to get up unassisted. Ha! Us old rebels don't put up with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
PAR 61
Recent bookmarks