BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Hi y'all

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Gringo, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gringo

Gringo senior

Thanks.

She actually has not been complaining much about her back in some weeks. She has this set of exercises she does every day, and I think with the steroid injection, it is helping.

By the way, I sent out emails to a number of reference names I got from various "medical tourism" sites, and I have received answers from several people now who had their knees replaced in either Costa Rica or Mexico. I decided to forget about India. By the time you figure in the air fares it's just as cheap to go to Central America and it's a whole lot closer to home.

Got this one this morning:

"It has now been two years since my knee replacement in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I am now 52 years old and have had a wonderful experience without pain. Here is some information for you.

My doctor was Dr. Max Grieg. He is a German doctor who lives in Puerto Vallarta. He speaks fluent German, Spanish and English and is a terrific guy. Google his name and you should get his website. My cost two years ago was roughly $12,600.00 (US$). This included the surgery, 3 day hospital stay, prosthesis (Zimmer), 6 days of rehab and medications. Since I was unable to fly back to the states right away, I made it a little two week vacation and had a terrific experience. This does not include flight and hotel.

My advice to you is to have a company like MedToGo set up the whole thing for you. They not only have qualified doctors like Dr Grieg in Puerto Vallarta in their network but also several other doctors and cities in Mexico that you may be interested in. Talk to Bobby Page at the company. He handles everything and is a great guy. Their website is www.medtogo.com. I hope it works out for you. Thanks for writing.

Mark Sawko
    "

I know most of the people here have med insurance that covers all this in their home country, but I thought I would mention my investigations into this for those who have insurance problems.

Costa Rica, around $ 10.5K.
    Mexico, around $ 12.5K.

Thats real good stuff to know if you are paying for it yourself.

2. tooyoungforthis

tooyoungforthis senior

United States United States
    Gringo, I know that you are a smart guy and you have been doing your homework in finding a great place that will fix your knee.Please just be carefull and I am happy that your not going to India.

3. Gringo

Gringo senior

Saying that there are other places just as good as the USA is not putting down the USA.

It's living with the reality that the medical situation in the USA is totally screwed up. It should not cost $ 50,000 for a one hour surgery. Thats outrageous.

I've seen the world too. Many times over. And the way I saw it was not the same way as a tourist in Club Med for a week sees it, or someone from a navy ship in a navy port. And I can think of lots of really great places to live outside the US.

And unless I am mistaken, the last several times I went to an Emergency Room in either Massachusetts or New Jersey, I was taken care of by an Indian or Pakistani doctor.

Go figure.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tend to agree with you, Gringo. Some of the best hospitals known are in so-called third world countries. Only tragedy is, the local population doesn't generally have access to them.

5. Gringo

Gringo senior

Here's an email I got from someone who had a TKR in Costa Rica. He is another expat, who lives there and decided to get his knee replaced there rather than do what I did, fly back to the USA.

"...the knee replacement it is the best thing I have ever done. The Clinica Biblica is the best hospital in Central America The doctor who did the operation is Dr Oscar Oeding, the discovery Channel and Learning channel have done specials on him and the hospital. Our Friend Jaime Cabezas is the Director of Clinica Biblica. The cost as we have insurance in Costa Rica was about $1250 total. I was driving the car in 17 days, it is a 4 ½ hr drive through the mountains to San Jose without any pain. I have had 10 other knee operations for Baseball and hockey related injuries and this I must say is the best doctor I have ever had. Also the follow up and care from everyone at the hospital beats any North American place by a long shot.

I hope you do not mind but I have copied Dr. O on this as we have referred many folks to him and you will really enjoy speaking with him. His Number in Costa Rica is 011-506-2522-1000 ext 2306 or call direct to his assistant at 011-506-2522-1000 ext 2374 His email is ooeding@clinicabiblica.com

I had a total knee replacement, as he also does partial but after the mri and once he got in found that a total was required, Dr. O said he so of thought I would need a total from the mri but would know better once he got in. He had measured my knee and both sent , a partial and total so he was prepared. I had been praying for a total rather than a partial. I cannot remember the name of the implant right this moment but I know it is the best one on the market, I think it was the English one but not sure. I think if you were to pay for it outright yourself it is between 5 and 10000 right now everything included. Not sure just guessing a this point. You can mention Jeff and Helen sent you. "

another happy customer. As for the infection issue, I figure once you are in that operating suite, what's on the other side of those walls doesn't really have anything to do with it.

And although I didn't know it at the time, about fifteen minutes after they cut me open to start there was a power outage in Houston. My TKR was done partially by emergency generator.

6. Gringo

Gringo senior

I think I have decided not to go to India, not because of the quality of their healthcare, but because of costs and logistics.

And I spent almost three months on one of the toughest jobs in my life in Pakistan. In the foothills of the Himalayas, up the Indus River, some 60 miles and a few centuries up from Rawalpindi. I was surveying the bottom of the Tarbela Dam resevoir, finding, measuring, and mapping sinkholes in the alluvial fill, or 'blanket' meant to seal the bottom of the resevoir. I lost 30 lbs on a diet of canned tuna and hard boiled eggs and tomatoes. And bread, usually. Very effective weight loss program. Not by choice.

We carried car batteries up steep hillsides balanced on coiled towels on our heads, one hand balancing the battery, the other hand touching the hillside. We had cobras, and mongoose.
    We hired guards to sit, armed, and keep the hillsmen from stealing the batteries. We needed them for range/range navigation systems we were using on the reservoir. I could tell you some Pakistan stories.

They wanted me back for another couple of months, and offered me a program manager position for a year, and I threatened to leave the company over it. I didn't go back. I don't plan to. I am not Pakistani material. But I am okay with that. I have satisifed all my curiousity about the Middle East.

Oh well, I didn't make a very good Yankee, either.

Now, it's tropical island gringo dude? this, I can handle.

And I am three times as active as I was four months ago with this new knee. Three months TODAY!

7. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Gringo, you ARE the poster child for TKRs for sure!!! It's so great to see you doing this well. Keep it up, guy!!!

8. loggon

loggon big-cheese

gringo

Have not had a chance to talk with my daughter in law about Costa Rica. Forgot to mention she is way high up in one of the largest
    Hospital corps. She is in charge of several out surgery clinics here in Texas, so she would know.

You are doing your home work and that is important.

I got my feathers a little ruffled at one of your statements about the US, but I know you did not mean it the way I first took it.

You are just doing what you need to do. I am sure you can find
    great medical doctors and hospitals in most Countries whether 1st or 3rd world countries. After all folks need knees and hips all over the world and they can't all come to the US, UK or Canada. And those folks do very well.

Please do fight the insurance company thought because they are doing you wrong.

I am also from Texas and I have seen good and bad medical treatment from Mexico. But I have seen the same from here and other Countries.

Bottom line you need your knee taken care of and you are doing the best job in trying to get it done. So I hope you lots of luck and I know you will be just fine, no matter where you get it done.

Just keep us posted and you know all our prayers are with you.

9. Gringo

Gringo senior

10. Josephine

Folks - I have deleted a number of what I considered to be contentious posts and edited a couple of others.

I don't like seeing you all up in arms like this and waving flags. It's not necessary and opens the door for flames and such and I don't want to be put in a position where I have to put in a protocol for infractions and bans. But trust me, I will if I have to!

Debate by all means, but please keep it friendly and low key.

Remember .... this forum is a flame free zone!!

atbn0_google_com_images_777f584d1ef8d5d4d785fdc71351081f._.jpg

11. Doug

Doug alpha

I learned many years ago....Don't mess with the head nurse!!!! You go girl!!!

12. Josephine

Thank you, Doug!

13. Judles

Judles alpha

JO! You know each of us has the ultimate respect for YOU.....some offspring just DON'T listen! But......such is real life, right??? :). Enjoy your day! Hope you are feeling good today!!! :)

14. Gringo

Gringo senior

I actually have not checked in here since yesterday, when I made a post that I now see has been deleted. So, I have no clue what other posts followed it. I can imagine, though.

BUT back on what I thought was the topic, I continue to get encouraging news from people who have travelled to Mexico and Costa Rica for surgeries. People seem REALLY pleased with this Hospital Clinica Biblica in San Jose. Sounds like first class accomodations and service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.