THR Hi! Post THR recovery

Arnie here, just one week into joining the gym and I’m ripped !!! Caroline getting worried, I'll need all the strength I can muster to fight off all the young talent, very gentle weight exercises leg press, glutes, upper body (no weights, top slot) 30 mins cardio every day, sauna, steam & swim Friday, feeling a little a achy naturally, still get stutter step but not as bad. March 1 op so 7 month in hope it's a little encouraging to other hippys, still can't run though. Good luck all

You’re certainly a character, Big Bad Arnold. :wink: You must keep, Caroline, laughing.
Glad you’re taking it easy and enjoying your time at the gym. Wonderful to hear youre noticing some improvement with the stutter steps. May it only get better.
Thanks for stopping by, JW. I always enjoy reading your updates. :)
@JohnWilky

Arnie again , with another question and I suspect I know the answer already. Continuing with my gym & swim sessions which have consisted of warm up , stretches then 30 min bike / walking treadmill , warm 5 min CT, followed by some very limited leg weights and upper body stuff. What’s wrong with that I hear ? Well you see I have been feeling a little too sore , with a recurrence of my stutter step , not as bad , but noticeable.
Also feeling very mechanical around the new hip area when walking , with a feeling like I have no bounce in new hip , like the shock absorber has gone . So I had a rest weekend 4 days , but post resumption yesterday feeling quite sore today . Think I will leave legs alone for a while and concentrate on upper body and pool walking .
I have been reading ( oh no I hear you all say ) about DOMS , so I will ‘ curb my enthusiasm’
Any sensible suggestions .
reminder Mar 1 2021 THR . Posterior approach , progressive recovery .

Last edited:
Rather than hit the gym, have you tried cross country walking?

The reason being it's much lower impact, walking across earth and grass is much gentler on both skeleton and muscles, and the ground undulations mean you have much more variability in each step. Walking on tracks should also improve your 'bounce', without causing the hard impacts that that may be making you tense up when working out indoors or on machines. Just choose your routes for distance and gradients or flat as appropriate for your fitness.

Well you see I have been feeling a little too sore
So I had a rest weekend 4 days , but post resumption yesterday feeling quite sore today

Your body is speaking…and very clearly I might add, Arnie. :wink:
”PAIN IS YOUR BODY ASKING FOR CHANGE”
Excuse my shouting up above, but I want to make sure you understand what your wise body is telling you. :) Other than that…you seem to be doing great. Keep it up and stay in touch.

Hi @JohnWilky :wave:
I read a couple of posts of yours over on Spoz’s thread and thought I’d bring the conversation over here as part of your recovery record. No apologies for what you referred to as mithering. Your contributions here are valuable and appreciated. You’ve been an encouragement to many and we thank you for that. We also appreciate your kind words in regard to BoneSmart.

While I’m not a medical professional, I don’t find it surprising that you may have a slower recovery than some due to early Parkinson’s. It does sound like you’re making great progress though and I’m sorry you recently dealt with the repercussions of pushing it somewhat with the exercise. Finding the perfect balance may take some trial and error, but if you‘re able to work in concert with the advice of your surgeon, or consultant, your Primary Care Physician and a trusted PT, hopefully through their advice you‘ll land in that sweet spot that works for you. Wondering if you’re scheduled for a visit with the surgeon at your one year anniversary and if so, whether you’d consider moving up the appointment for some professional feedback on your questions involving your progress, exercise or any therapy that may be advantageous for you?

You inquired on Spoz’s thread whether there is a difference between pain and aches that you should be able to recognize. My answer would be that if there is a general ache or fatigue you can attribute to your recent exercise or activity, that is somewhat normal, but pain that is escalating, or lingering necessitating the need for pain relievers may need to be investigated. I think your best option is to continue to go slow, allowing your body to guide you. I don’t understand the need for “vigorous“ exercise given your situation, but rather a steady / comfortable enough pace that benefits your physical and cardio health. Remember…full recovery can take an entire year and many notice and enjoy improvement into their second and even third year after their THR.
A wonderful rest of the week to you!

Thanks L, you know a month doesn’t go without a post so hear goes latest.
March 1 this year so 9 month ‘ where I am ‘
Had no complications since day one , not on any meds , didn’t need painkillers after a couple of week.Had no visit to see surgeon was discharged after 6 week .
Now visiting the gym 3/4 times per week , warm includes 5 mins on CT then treadmill 5 mins , then bike 5 mins .
10 mins stretching ,
Back to treadmill for vigorous ( HITTs ) 30 minute walking , tough but satisfying.
Warm down 10 mins .
Weights for 3 x15 reps legs and upper body .
Swimming twice a week .
Static bike is not as comfortable as it was at first , so not too much.
Can’t say I’m feeling any pain , more a noticeable uncomfortable ache when walking.Stills feels mechanical .
Still having to ‘ get things going again, stutter step ‘ on rising of getting in/ out car.
Can’t run yet but have tried some short steps.
Can still feel it when walking/ strolling ( 2 mile)
No swelling , scar hardly noticeable ,sleeping fine although still use pillows between knees , more for comfort.
On Bonesmart advice ,I take it easy if I get too achy .
It’s taken longer than I thought ,wish Bonesmart would have told me it would taken a year …..
Otherwise considering I,m feeling well , gym has helped enormously esp with the Shakin Steven’s .
It’s fun trying to hold back the sands of time.
Good luck everyone

wish Bonesmart would have told me it would taken a year

Or even longer for some and with early PD, you may be one of those that continue to notice improvement into the second and even third year post op. You have a good record of your recovery here and I hope you will continue sharing updates so we can follow your progress to improved strength and stability. You’re doing great, JW!

@JohnWilkey.. I never could run again after my first 1999 hip surgery. In fact it’s still doing well. Fast walking on solid even level ground helps with a good heel to toe gait along with new shoes good arches …not the old ones with worn out to old gait before surgery. Also practice stomach muscles tightness with breathing techniques helps support those bones with a good core strength for back and hips.

Well… it sounds like your doing well. Just a reminder your still in long term healing mode. Get a message or two a week for calming and relaxing. Works wonders on the mind, body and spirit. Great for healing .

Latest ……. Upped the walking into slow jogging on treadmill , amazing how much I sweat ( amazing) and how difficult it is to get back into a rhythm. Finding it very difficult although definitely improving in other areas , putting socks almost normal , plus lesser stutter step. But oh boy finding that ‘running’ tricky , both legs and lungs !! Also naturally achy / stiff post training .
Mar 1 2021 surgery and surprised by how long it’s taken , ccepted Bsmart advice that it takes a year ! But I though I was superman ! Not so as it turns out .

good luck everyone , I’m living proof it’s gets better gradually slowly and carefully . All the vest Hippys

Hey hey JW,
Its always a pleasure to see your updates and hear about your progress. Happy to read you‘re mastering socks and the stutter step is lessening. It seems you’re doing well and the coming months and even into the next year should bring more success. I hope you have a happy holiday season with all of those you love and hold dear.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
@JohnWilky

Hi @JohnWilky :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

I’m living proof it’s gets better gradually slowly and carefully

Me too!:banana-santa:
Keep on slow and steady.... Life without hip pain sure is Sweet!
Hope your holidays are happy and bright!:wreath:

Happy New Year all and good luck.That's enough about everyone else now more about me! Just recovered from the dreaded Covid over Xmas, I'm feeling a real set back Hip wise, very stiff and achy on walking, real shame as I was progressing in the gym. Would that be to be expected feel I'm starting all over again, hopefully up the ante now I'm (we) Covid free!!

Happy New Year, JW! :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

enough about everyone else now more about me!
:rotfl: You are a hoot!

I’m so sorry you had to deal with Covid, and during the holidays no less. Awful! My husband had it also, but his began at the beginning of the month so he was feeling well by the holidays, except for a lingering cough…which is easing daily.

I guess I don’t find it surprising that you’re feeling like your progress stalled. Your immune system has been fighting off illness and I’m sure you’re not feeling too energized after suffering symptoms which I’m assuming included body aches and fatigue. As you know, I’m not a medical professional, but one would guess it may effect your PD also. I’m sure it is discouraging, but thankfully you’re slowly recovering. Take it easy and try to be patient giving yourself some TLC as you continue to bounce back fully. I’m glad the worst is over.
Wishing you good health, peace and joy in the New Year! Thanks for stopping by. :)

I have taken it easy L, body saying ‘Listen to Layla’ so sticking to walking, did do however a lengthy 5km jaunt over local uneven ground, bit achy but managed pretty well. But, always a but, met a friend who was playing walking football and recipient of new hip sone time ago and he was surprised how long my recovery is taking, he felt good to go 15 week! (I’m 1st Mar 2021, 10 month ) Both of similar age and
build / lifestyle and I always considered me a fitter lad! I tried walking footy just before Xmas (was probably carrying virus) and was a million miles off! Am I likely to continue a slow recovery road or can I expect a sudden improvement soon? Hope so!
Daft questions I know, but what changes.
Good luck everyone.

Both of similar age and build / lifestyle and I always considered me a fitter lad !

I understand it’s easy to compare recoveries, JW, but it can lead to disappointment when you hear someone else was further along than you at a certain point. It seems you’re experiencing steady progress and even though it’s not as fast as you’d like, you’re still noticing improvement I’m guessing. It will be slow, not sudden at this point. People do notice progress into their second year and even the third year. So even though you’re not where you want to be, hang in there and enjoy the progress you’ve made and life without the pain of a deteriorating hip.

Having the ability to participate in a 5k sounds like you’re doing pretty well to me. Possibly you’re right that you weren’t feeling on your game while playing walking football right before you came down with Covid. You can always try again at some point. Hang in there and enjoy what you’re able to. You’re a good guy and you seem to enjoy life.
Cheers to you :cheers: and a happy, healthy 2022!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom