THR Hi! Post THR recovery

Hey up hipsters , my very latest worry so I’ll mither the experts, March 1=st op thr and as gone as good as I had wished , but Mrs o wilky is getting worried that I should be walking better unaided ( I walk with an elbow crutch )

When I walk without the stick I waddle so my research as lead me too Trendelenburg gait !! ( I know ) any info available regarding exercises I should be doing to prevent this.

thxs everyone and good luck

Hi JohnWilky, I’m not an expert, but I can tell you my experience! It was difficult and I had to make a true effort to walk again. I had the waddle too for a while.

Here’s what worked for me: I took my walker outside (not a cane or crutch, it had to be the walker) and practiced heel-to-toe walking as far as I could everyday. First it was just to the neighbors’ house and back and I finally made it to the end of the block after about 10 days. I could feel the muscles working when I would use my operated leg and I would start focusing on working those muscles intentionally as I walked.

I found that every day or two, I would wake up and be more steady on my feet. I really believe that if I had not taken my walker out and practiced the intentional heel-to-toe walking each day, I would still be waddling and using an aid today!

I hope this helps some! :)

Cheers M , I do try as far as possible to concentrate on heel to toe walking , I will persevere with that for a while ,I’m only 13 week , the literature I have read on Trendelenburg is dunna try any too stressful exercises until you can support yourself by balancing on the gammy leg.
Any further advice greatly accepted.
Have a grand day everyone and best. Of luck.

Keep using the forearm crutch as long as you have that trendelenburg gait to help with your heel to toe gait. Otherwise you are just learning to walk with a trendelenburg gait.
You can do exercises in standing at your kitchen counter, hip out to the side, and hip out to the back. Do both sides 5 to 10x, with good form.

I totally agree with heel/toe walking. Many new hippies take months to get their gait corrected. It's tough to break old habits. But please tell your wife you need to stick with the crutch or a cane until the limp is gone.

Here's an illustration of heel/toe walking. Do this slowly and mindfully - planting the heel and then rolling forward.

1619184824963-jpeg.83076

Hiya John, me again. I’m just a week behind you, just past 13 weeks, and still using a walking stick. After you mentioned the Trendelenburg gait I realised that is my issue too. I’ve done a bit of research and worked out that my problem is weak adductor/gluteal muscles. The literature says that we need to strengthen and re-learn how to engage these muscles before we will have sufficient strength to keep our pelvis level while weight bearing on the operated side and trying to bring the good leg through. I have to admit that I stopped doing sideway and behind leg raises around 5-6 weeks as I didn’t realise why these exercises were so important. So for the last 4 days I’ve been doing them a few times a day and already I’ve seen an improvement. So as @Pumpkin said above, just do the leg raises regularly with good form and I’m sure that in a few weeks you (and me) will see an improvement in gait.

Re the heel to toe walking, I noticed that the foot of my operated side was striking and pushing off from the flesh near the outside toes, whereas my good foot uses the flesh below the big and second toes for strength so I’m also trying to focus on making sure both feet are striking and pushing off with the same area of my foot. That was hard to describe properly, I hope it makes sense. Anyway, keep us posted.

Just over 14 weeks , so I thought I would bore you all with my shall we say experience, just been for an hours brisk walk , still need elbow crutch would struggle without , not too much , but I would be pushing it.

As most hipsters know I do very little without checking Bonesmart first so my latest mither, post walk and after relaxing with a well earned cup of tea , after rising from sitting , I,m finding that new hip area is stiff and very achy for the first few steps, until I get it going again , would you say that’s normal.

Just had an unexpected appointment with Parkinson’s Physio who says I should be able to stand unsupported on new hip leg before doing any serious exercises , which I can’t do without pain atm , advised some side abductors and forward and rear foot tapping to strengthen the muscles around new hip.

Any hipster with experience and advice of exercises that can strengthen the area indeed accelerate that progress.

good luck to all the latest-new hipsters , I,m sure you’ll be a asking similar questions to me , without my contradictions .

im getting there.

The stiffness / tightness you experience after sitting, and odd first steps before it feels as though all has settled into place is common and often referred to as stutter steps. This should ease with time.

I’m not sure of any exercises to recommend at this point only because we mainly advise walking as the only exercise really needed in early recovery. Given the advice above from your Parkinson’s Physio, I’ll tag in @Pumpkin and @Jaycey to see if one of them has an opinion or additional suggestions on what you’ve been advised.

Thanks for updating, John. It seems you’re getting stronger / steadier with each passing month.

All the best as you continue to heal.

Thank you Layla , I would be interested what Pumpkin and Jacey has to say.The Parky PT was nice and certainly didn’t disagree with the Bonesmart advice, she is keen for me to join a PD warrior exercises group ( looks good) but with obvious respect for my new hip , as part of my limited treatment for Parkys.

The exercise class will be by Zoom link for the time being and I will definitely be careful not to push any exercise which effects my new hip.

Thanks for your response and good luck everyone.

The exercises your PT gave you are a good place to start. Walking with a good heel toe toe gait will also strengthen your hip muscles, use a cane if you limp to promote good form.
pastedGraphic.png

Is your PT using the BIG Program for Parkinson's?

Cheers P , yes the PT was specific for Parkys , although she did give me some helpful advice for my hip.I think ( if bone smarties agree ) I will participate in the exercises.With care if anything bothers new hip.

N.b I am more or less walking around the house and stairs unaided , although it’s still a little uncomfortable and I waddle a bit , is that ok? If I’m going any distance I still use elbow crutch.

FC posted ‘ you will know when you don’t need the stick ,when you forget it ‘ and that has happened a couple of occasions.

Bit more like usual Manchester weather today damp and miserable ( bit like moi) expressing good luck to all our recents ,slowly does it !

I will participate in the exercises. With care if anything bothers new hip.

Wise choice, JW.

I would try to use the crutch, or a cane while you’re still limping. I know we‘ve mentioned heel-toe several times, but I found heel-toe was something I really had to concentrate on. I developed a sloppy gait as my hip deteriorated and found I had to be really mindful in practicing a heel-toe gait each time I walked. It felt weird and unnatural to me, but in practicing it I felt I was walking straighter, taller, more in control.

I often fell back into my old lazy way and only realized when someone would ask me…”are you limping?“ Um, no, didn’t think so, but I guess I was. Early on into my recovery, if I was tired I realized I sometimes limped. As they say, old habits die hard.

Hi John
I replied to you post on my thread saying that I could send you some of the exercises that my physio has set me for strengthening. They're very gentle but have been very effective so I'm happy to send them to you to have a look at if you would like.
Wishing you all the best,
Joanne

FC posted ‘ you will know when you don’t need the stick ,when you forget it ‘ and that has happened a couple of occasions.
Slowly but surely @JohnWilky! Sounds like you are on the right road. I’ve missed you in the social room. Surely your watching the Euro Cup!

Any hipster with experience and advice of exercises that can strengthen the area indeed accelerate that progress.
Afraid there is no way to accelerate this process. Pre-op all the muscles atrophy as your gait changes trying to stay off a sore hip. The heel/toe walking is actually the best way to gradually get those muscles strong again. Sounds like you are making good progress on this as you are already leaving the crutch behind.

Side abduction is also good but be warned - many new hips complain loudly about this one. Easy does it and if it hurts - stop and try again another day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts