THR Hi! Post THR recovery

No worries @JohnWilky :friends:
The trauma from the surgery IS painful and I was so worried to walk about on my new hips....I cried when they took out my catheter because I realized I had to walk to the bathroom. But that new hip is strong... YOU are just understandably weak.
It took a bit for me to get some confidence in my new hip and though painful, was a good hip now. Once recovered, also no longer a pain!
Constipation was a problem for me also...the anesthesia and pain meds really did a number on me too.:nah:
Plus, I had little appetite so try to drink alot even though it requires bathroom trips. Staying hydrated and moving about will help things get going, hopefully.
Do let your care team know you are having trouble on that front.
Virtual hugs for healing.

It won't hurt to ask if they could please get you an ice pack. I really don't understand why that is not a protocol for all THR post op, but it was only when I got home and my Bonesmart family encouraged me to be chilling that I discovered how great it felt.
I had double trouble with both hips replaced simultaneously.
I was so ready to be out of pain, and the first days post op, I had a dread come over me "What did I do!?"
Normal to feel this way and to be anxious but these first days are shocking to our bodies and our psyches.

I was ever so grateful to have the advice and help from those who know.
Please don't fall into comparing your recovery with others....we each have unique bodies and circumstances surrounding our need for THR.
My thoughts are...you are going to do great once this first tough few weeks go by.
Keep the faith, friend.

I've never been offered ice after any of my hip surgeries here in the UK. Managed to get it once (on request) after my TKR! Worth a try though.
Hope you have a better day today @JohnWilky.

@JohnWilky me having thr Monday as well I have yet to have a bowel movement and have been eating good foods and keeping hydrated. So you’re not alone! I would 100% try and do everything in your power to get ice there! I’ve been icing almost nonstop and it’s actually better than the pain meds I feel!

It makes a sad old man a lot better

Don’t be sad, you’re soon going to be feeling a lot better than you have in a long time.
And as for “old” nah! You’re as young as you ever will be. Look at it that way and enjoy!

I would 100% try and do everything in your power to get ice there! I’ve been icing almost nonstop and it’s actually better than the pain meds I feel!

I second this. Beg, whine, whatever it takes if you’re going to be there all day and night again. I iced almost non-stop and like Humbleservant it worked on the pain for me enough that I only ever needed four Oxy. I understand everyone‘s recovery is different but I attribute a lot of my pain relief to ice. Ice is a Little Miracle Worker :ice: If you can’t get ice there, make sure to order online or find someone to get you some gel packs for when you’re back at home. I suggest at least two so you always have one ready to go in the freezer.

A week will fly by, you will have established a routine and be feeling better than you do now.

Wishing you lots of comfort.

Day 5 in the big brother house, feeling a lot better today Fri 5 Match , hiccups seem to have gone ( I was very worried ) much to the amusement of the family think it was an anxiety thing and that I’ve still not been for a bowel movement , well I’ve been several times but no action as yet ( was given a lax last night ) but still nothing as yet.

Hip pain is minimal ( still on paracetamol) main problem is getting the right technique to get the bad leg in bed , can’t lift on its own have to support it , then use arms to lift and twist finding it almost impossible. How was the experience of getting Jin and out of bed ?

Waiting for the physios to assist me to use stairs and hopefully they will kick me out then, and the long recovery journey starts.

Asked about the icing to physios and surgeon and both didn’t recommend, in fact physio said that heat was better on bad leg because it’s warm and tight.

in fact physio said that heat was better on bad leg because it’s warm and tight.
This is where physios get it wrong. You are not in training, you are healing. Heat on sore muscles is fine. But you are treating major trauma and a wound. Heat will only enhance the swelling. Ice will reduce it - thus easing pain.

Jaycey is right, the physio is wrong.
Heat for sore muscles is for later in recovery if you feel it is helpful. Heat will increase blood flow to the area and can cause more bleeding.

Using ice as a treatment for surgical wounds, known as cryotherapy, is not new. The cold reduces pain by reducing inflammation and swelling, which lets more oxygen flow to cells, he said. At the same time, it slows down the metabolism of a cell so that less oxygen is needed.
It is a great pain reliever and is a new hippy's best friend.:ice:

I agree, I agree, so much I said it twice. Try it and see if you like it. C’mon...jump on the ice bandwagon, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. :ice: Aaah, such a relief! :)
Have a great day, JW. Are you going home today?

Accessing the bed -
Two ideas, the first is placing a trash bag on the bed, eliminating any friction, making it easy to scooch into position, then slip out from underneath once you’re in place. This also works in the car helping you swivel to forward facing (windshield) position. I used it on the way home from my surgery site. Worked like a charm.
Second idea is using a belt, even one from a bathrobe to lift your leg onto the bed, or wherever else your leg needs a little coaching to behave in these early days.

Best Wishes and safe travels home if today is the day.

Getting in bed when you can't lift the leg can be a trick. My bed is pretty high so I could back up to it and sit and then use my arms to pull myself backwards far enough that my knees were on the bed. I could then pivot to get into position. I would push my operated leg with my non operated leg as I pivoted in. Some have used a belt or some type of strap to lift the leg but I never did.

It took me a few days to get the leg lifting thing working- tiny movements with the non-op leg to get myself ready for the “swing and lift”. Laying back in the bed helped before the lift. Peeing a lot gave me good practice. Good for you on no pain. I’ve cut down on the Oxy but still need it to be mobile. Keep us updated with your journey!

Hi again @JohnWilky ,
You can help to lift your bad leg into bed by putting the foot of your good leg behind your bad leg's ankle and using your good leg to help lift it.

Also, a belt , a dressing gown cord, or something similar (I even used an old dog's lead) can be useful. Just put it behind your ankle and use your arms to lift the log leg onto the bed. Ask your physios to show you how.

I hope the poop fairy visits you soon. It's those pain medications that slow down your digestive tract.
I had a shoulder replacement a few weeks ago and the nurse had to give me an enema. Not much fun, but a great relief afterwards!

Can’t tel you how reassuring it is to have almost instant replies to the patients worries , I,m gunna buy you all a pint when lockdown is over ,thxs again everyone, hold on to your seats this is going to be a long one.

Day 6 and I,m home well at my daughters at her insistence far better than our home ,Mrs O Wilky picked me up from the brilliant Oakland’s Hospital Salford , the worry of our drive with her driving along the motorway ( amazed she navigated the 30 minute journey she has done a million times ) far outweighed that of getting in the car , which I managed easily.

On discharge I was given paracetamol, codine,blood thinning self injecting meds x 3 ,plus 30 days tablet form , and lacratose laxative ⛽️ I’ll come to that in minor detail later.The pain was 5 / 10 so no complaints , it’s generally around the knee and groin area .

Now for the biggy ( I realise there will be many ) and becoming I real problem for all of us who have to listen to me ( the family ) constipation , wind and more concerning , HICCUPS !!!! Not just hiccups breath taking diaphragm spasms , the like you may ( I have ) get when you drink a freshly opened fizzzy drink.

I made the hospital aware of the issue, and the lovely very caring nurses said it was a natural reaction consequence of the surgery, the lovely young Physion suggested I was overreacting and worrying and should try to relax .

It can be just a short burp burp , but others can last a breath taking 5 secs or so , and these occur every half hour or so but sometimes can have a break of a couple of hours. Generally brought on by drinking ( sipping ) water or eating just something lite.
I have worked out that the position of diaphragm is probably the cause , now when I get a spasm I stand ( not easy ) or straighten to relieve the symptoms.

It’s even worse in bed , probably because your prone and of course quieter so you can almost predict when the slop plop plop gasp gasp attack is en route.

It’s awful, really really awful , I am just hoping that I can pay a visit and that will create the space to allow things have settled down to get with the main problem my new hip.

Any help in this area will be greatly received,and please ask your friends family if they have experienced this , and what can relive / repair it. I know Bonesmart hipsters will come up with a solution , they always do or have.

Thanks for reading and I can see a few eyes looking to the heavens , but it is definitely pausing my hip recovery which is a shame. I have a little more about ICE and leg positioning ,pain relief but save that for another post.

Have a great day everyone ,slop! gasp gloopp !gasp !hiccup ! Breath ! Gasp ! SWEAR

Oh, poor John. Chronic case of hiccups certainly can't be fun.:nah:
We actually had a member who had a thread about the issue
You can find it here along with some member's suggestions. Just click on this blue link.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/help-for-persistent-hiccups.36542/

I do hope that the constipation issue resolves soon...maybe that will help the hiccups/gas issues subside.
It was many days on stool softeners and laxatives before I was able to get going.
One if the suggestions on the above thread was drinking a glass of water upside down.
Never understood this one though I've heard of it.:unsure:
Sounds like a good way to get choked so do take the advice with a grain of salt.

:fingersx: it goes away TODAY!

There are many different theories from folks about what rids one of hiccups.
Some out there are...
  • Sip ice-cold water slowly or gargle with very cold water.
  • Hold your breath for a short time, breath out, then do it again three or four times, and do this every 20 minutes.
  • While you swallow, place gentle pressure on your nose.
  • Place gentle pressure on your diaphragm.
  • Bite on a lemon.
  • Swallow some granulated sugar.
  • Take a tiny amount of vinegar, just enough to taste.
  • Breathe in and out of a paper bag, but never a plastic bag and never covering your head with the bag. (Of course!) :skep:
  • Lean forward so that you gently compress your chest.
  • Gently pull on the tongue.:shrug:
  • Rub the eyeballs.:chinstroke:
Many of these tips have been passed down through generations. They may be effective, but there is little research to support their use

Thank you i read the thread from H regarding his ordeal , but mine would slightly different in as much it’s more of a spasm not just an everyday hiccup, let’s see if anything happens on the thread , have to say not been too bad this morning , I need to shift my blooming bowels I believe that would do the trick .

Question 2 , on operated leg is it common for it to be swollen and slightly warm to touch.

3 how do you lie in bed first weeks.

4 how long should compression stockings be left on for .

Thanks everyone have a great day

s it common for it to be swollen and slightly warm to touch
Yes. Only days out of major surgery. Ice any swollen areas.
how do you lie in bed first weeks.
Did your surgeon give you any restrictions? What approach did you have THR approaches or incisions
how long should compression stockings be left on for
This is usually specified by the surgeon. Did you receive any post op instructions when you were discharged?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks