THR Hi! Post THR recovery

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
March 1st THR left side posterior (I think ) latest update .
Much more mobile every week but still unable to completely leave elbow crutch when walking any distance , walking with the help ( probably should get one of those alpine walking sticks )stick is very easy and comfortable no pain ,maybe a little discomfort.
Stutter step still a problem , quite uncomfortable for first few steps , what is it ? Why does it still hurt ? No great problem tbf discussed before suppose a little impatient after 16 weeks or so.
Practicing the heel toe gait , hopefully correctly .
Sleeping very well even on operation side.
Some weeks quicker than others , still feel vulnerable when doing anything more active .
Feeling well overall contemplating rejoins gym soon .
Good luck everyone

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
John, I wonder if you’d benefit from the One Step Program…It evaluates and helps with gait...We have a special promotion that is expiring soon. Please read the info below and let us know if you’re interested, right here on your thread. If so, I can connect you with Jamie from Admin. to assist with any questions you may have.

Have a great rest of the week!
@JohnWilky

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@JohnWilky ....I'm glad you contacted us about your registration for OneStep. We were flooded with registrations from our email and I'm slowly working my way through them. We exceeded the limited number of participants in our promotion and we're working with OneStep to determine what will happen to those who are on our "wait" list.

I checked and you are on the "wait" list, so your sign-up form was received and recorded. We took the registrations on a first-come, first-served basis.

As soon as I know how this will be handled, I'll let you know. I'm sorry for any confusion, but happy that you are interested in the OneStep program.

poetsna1

Country
Hi JohnWilky-
I have quite a limp without support, too. At pt I was asked to watch myself walk in a mirror and saw that I still tend to swing my leg out funny like I did before surgery - so I have to concentrate to walk properly. It is a bit more painful walking properly without assistance and I can’t do it very far. I switched to trekking poles for my walks which keep me moving smoothly - also they keep me from tripping when I start to drag at the end. I noticed recently that I get in a “movement groove” where I maintain proper gait for a few minutes after I put the poles down. Maybe that’s how the next phase starts?

Anyway, it helped me to hear that another March THR is also limping along — thank you!
Hi,
This is Sylvia from Chicago, IL! I'll be 10 weeks post op in 2 days and I've also noticed that sometimes I'm moving along splendidly and then I begin to limp. I'm walking inside without a cane but bring it outside for support as I'm also walking my dog who tends to pull and can throw off my balance.
I had the feeling of the surgical leg feeling a lot longer than my other leg and though it's not as noticable as before it still seems longer.
Has anyone had this issue?
Thanks for listening. I've been reading the posts for weeks and really appreciated the support but this is my first post
Be well!

poetsna1

Country
Just over 14 weeks , so I thought I would bore you all with my shall we say experience, just been for an hours brisk walk , still need elbow crutch would struggle without , not too much , but I would be pushing it.

As most hipsters know I do very little without checking Bonesmart first so my latest mither, post walk and after relaxing with a well earned cup of tea , after rising from sitting , I,m finding that new hip area is stiff and very achy for the first few steps, until I get it going again , would you say that’s normal.

Just had an unexpected appointment with Parkinson’s Physio who says I should be able to stand unsupported on new hip leg before doing any serious exercises , which I can’t do without pain atm , advised some side abductors and forward and rear foot tapping to strengthen the muscles around new hip.

Any hipster with experience and advice of exercises that can strengthen the area indeed accelerate that progress.

good luck to all the latest-new hipsters , I,m sure you’ll be a asking similar questions to me , without my contradictions .

im getting there.
Hi John,

I too have a struggle with my first few steps after sitting. Thanks for sharing, I'll be looking for advice as well

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

senior
Country
Hey folks ,still on stutter step , just spent last weekend City walking ( London ) up and down those stairs and escalators on the underground ,note aided by elbow crutch ,so a real test ! But limp not improved and stutter step seems worse .Thoughts.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hi JW,
I‘m sure you get tired of reading - “but you’re only (fill in the blank) months post op and this recovery can take a year, even longer for some”. Or, being reminded to practice heel-toe walking. The only thing I can suggest is a meeting with your surgeon, or the consultant, which I believe is the way you do it in the UK, to see what his thoughts may be. It may offer some insight / reassurance.

I’m also wondering if your Parkinson’s could be playing into any of this, have you considered asking your Primary doctor about that? When you mention stutter steps, are you meaning that initial hesitation usually followed by a few awkward steps upon rising to walk, that you usually walk off fairly quickly?

One last question, wondering if the activity of walking all over London made these symptoms worse that day, or the next day?

I hope your evening is a peaceful one.
@JohnWilky

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

senior
Country
Cheers L , apologies for constantly harping on about it, suppose I'm just hoping a fresh hippy comes in with some miracle exercises.As for support here in UK ,well absolutely none Hip wise ,similar Parkinson's wise. Although I have to say my initial diagnosis for both ailments was excellent and my hip op was the best of the best in treatment and initial care. I will continue with walking as suggested and promise I'll stop moaning .Good Luck everyone.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Aww JW, please don’t view your expressions of concern on the forum as moaning.
We certainly don’t see it that way. Staying in touch here as you have, is not only welcomed, but encouraged. You‘re right in feeling that someone may come along with some tips you find beneficial.

I‘m really sorry you’re not satisfied with the attention you receive from your health care providers. You deserve better and I hope communication improves in that regard. Please know that we’re here for you always. Fingers crossed we can still get you connected with the One Step program.
Take good care and enjoy the week! :)
@JohnWilky

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

senior
Country
Hello fellow Hipsters an update for me surgery March 1st 2021 , so 6 month approximately. Walking totally without cane / elbow crutch , exercising a little more than just walking without any pain , allowing the feeling to guide me as advised by Bonesmart experts.
Still getting what I call ‘ stutter step ‘ pain when standing after a long period of sitting , have been advised to start stretching exercises to strengthen/ loosen the hip area.
Sleeping absolutely fine and no other problems to mention.
From my experience take the advice given by Bonesmart to the letter, it’s worked almost exactly as advised for me .
Thanks everyone on Bonesmart , just the best forum I have ever had the need / pleasure to use,
I have also been diagnosed early stage Parkinson’s and cannot find anything near or as good Bonesmart unfortunately for the condition .
Good luck everyone and many many thxs to all concerned with the platform.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@JohnWilky Thanks for the update! That stutter step will soon ease. It just takes time.

All the best to you. Check back when you can. We love to hear our members success stories.

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Good to hear from you @JohnWilky! Sounds like you are doing well and United is off to a pretty good start too.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
What a great update, JW. It’s so nice to hear from you. Thanks for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart. You were a joy to support and I enjoyed your comic relief. I wish you the best in finding a fulfilling group to engage with relating to Parkinson’s and prayers your path is smooth.

Stop back again to say Hi sometime and let us know how you’re doing. Until then, all the best!
@JohnWilky

Ebioic

Country
Barbados Barbados
@JohnWilky hoping these might help:

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

senior
Country
Thanks all my hippy bros for your continuous support despite me asking more or less the same questions nowadays .
For the new recruits I’m a March 1 st 2021( I gunna count the days , hang on ) 223 days phew ! In .
Joining gym tomorrow, but will promise not to do too much, let the pain ( aches ) guide me . Can’t run yet ,also walking with a slight limp , stretching does help , still suffering some Stutter Step , sleeping well on both sides, got and maintain the pillow habit between the knees.Managing the stairs fine .Still in what I can call any pain , remarkably just uncomfortable at times.
Gym is more for the Parkys really, attempting to get some cardio into the regime.
Do other hipsters have regular check ups ? I ve had 1 (4 weeks in ) I,m taking that if I have nothing to complain about just carry on regardless.
Any advice , pointers to what I can do safely gym wise post 7 month.

A little premature Bayern unlike your team Utd have been bobbins the last few games , although I was in attendance for the first two games , an achievement mixing along with 76,000 others up & down steps etc with confidence.

Thank E for the Parkys refs I,ll check them out .Btw excuse the spelling mistakes not as stable as I use to be haha, good news is I’ve joined a band , playing the Tambourine, boom boom .
Have a good week all and if new post op , patience and Bonesmart will get you through.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Do other hipsters have regular check ups ?
It's a different world these days with the pandemic. Many of our members have not had follow-ups or have had video calls. I had checks at 6 months and one year out. Then I was discharged back to my GP. Yes, just carry on.

Great that you are going to get into a gym. Just be very careful and listen to that hip. Start using any equipment with no resistance for just a few minutes. If you feel good the next day then you can start to do more. It's going to take awhile before you get to the cardio level. Slow and steady. I was doing a circuit of equipment with little or no resistance at 3 months out and built up the pre-op levels within another 3 months.
good news is I’ve joined a band , playing the Tambourine, boom boom .
Love it! Enjoy!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Alway so nice to hear from you, JW. I’m happy to read you’re doing well.
For the new recruits I’m a March 1 st 2021
:heehee: This is the humor I miss.
Do other hipsters have regular check ups ?
Mine post op appts were at three weeks, three months, then one year anniversary.
I haven’t been back since. :fingersx:
I trust you’ll take it easy at the gym. Share an update after you‘ve been going for awhile. Will look forward to hearing how it works out for you.
Woohoo on joining the band too.:happyfeet:
Take good care!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carolyn67
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom