Hi, not sure what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattg67

Going in on 8th August, for ceramic right thr, bit nervous but not sure what to expect. Had many hip ops when younger but cant really recall recovery times, am 44 now pretty fit and just wondering if I can expect to be up and about on feet with crutches within a week or am i being completely unrealistic?

Somewhat. They will have you out of bed that afternoon if a morning surgery, if afternoon, first thing the next morning! Added to that, they will not discharge you (usually on day 3or 4) unless you can get yourself into and out of bed, toilet and wash yourself and manage a flight if stairs up and down!

Are you having your surgery in Nottingham Uni hospital? By Andy Manktelow by any chance? :wink:

You should read in the hip section of the library for more information.
But these will make a good starter for ten!
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Hi, Matt....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you joined us. I hope you read the links Jo provided. It will also help you to read threads in the recovery forum to get an idea of what to expect. It can take some time to recover from joint replacement surgery, so you need to be prepared to take things slow. We usually recommend that folks not try to go back to work for at least 10-12 weeks. You will be mobile during this time, but just not up to normal strength and ready to assume the damands of daily living and job.

Please post any questions or concerns you might have. We're here for you!

Hi Matt,
You joined the forum at the right time, as you stil have a few weeks to prepare yourself with the information on this forum. It is normal to feel nervous, but "knowledge is power", so go for it!
Do you know what approach your surgeon wi take? You wil see there are slightly different restrictions for anterior versus posterior approach. You can probably call the doctor's ofice and get this information from the nurse, as it seems each surgeon has his preferred way.
Welcome to the forum and warm wishes to you!
Elle

just wondering if I can expect to be up and about on feet with crutches within a week or am i being completely unrealistic?

Well I was up and around the next day and left the hospital on two crutches. The 4th day I was on one crutch and walking unaided at 5 weeks. Of course everyone heals differently. But you are young and fit. I'll bet you said through this. Read the articles Jo recommended. Then do come back and ask any questions. We are here to help!

You will be up and moving before you know it! They are quite aggressive with getting people out of bed and moving shortly after surgery. I bet you will heal great--you are young and fit--good combo going into surgery.

Dorothy

Hi Matt

I was out after four days on two walking sticks but everyone's recovery is diffirent, best of luk on the 8th of August

Billy

Matt

I am a fair bit older and was up onncrutches right away. Not that I went very far for the first few weeks. Around the house for most of 2 weeks, outside pretty regularly at 3 weeks. Maybe half block or so. It goes pretty fast after that. At 10 weeks I am walking 2 miles plus daily.

I think you will be moving around sooner than you ever dreamed. Maybe able to do more than you should. One of our members always reminds others that recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. So take it easy. Rest. Eat well. Exercise moderately and only as the doc directs. Your shiny new hip will allow you pain free fun again. Let it heal......

All the best to you
Suki

Hi everyone, thanks for replies. Josephine I'm going into The Royal Derby and Mr Abuzakuk is the consultant. Not sure which approach, will find out and come back to you. Thanks all :)

Hi Matt,
You will be so glad you found this site. I refer many friends [I'm at the age when many are needing hips and knees, LOL].

I got a plastic/metal combo late Oct '11. No complications other than the H decided to give me my blood back; count was low and I had donated to myself so it was there for them to use.
I was standing up taking a few baby steps within 2 hours [AM surgery]; wiggling my toes, pointing my foot whenever I thought of it in post-op. I used the breathing thigamagig for about 3-4 days [prevents fluid in the lungs].
Surgery Th AM, out on Sun AM - was even able to make my way up the diner ramp b'fast that morning!
I did everything they told me to do [pre-op diet to post-op PT, food, meds, bed exercises ... no crossing my legs were a biggie for me]. I had much success; I too am fit and in good health.

My progress: Was able to work from home with a pretty clear head in about 3 weeks, showered in 4, drove in 5.5 weeks [right leg so I had to wait the full wait period]. I played on the rug with my grand daughter at Christmas and walked my dog in 8 weeks [winter ice and my very aggressive Schnauzer needed more time than typical; took no chances]. I did have a setback about 10 weeks out. I overdid my PT and got a serious strain in my quad. Don't get caught up in trying to accellerate the healing process and overdo your PT! I'd say give yourself 6-8 weeks to feel pretty darn good though you will need months to heal so pay attention to the guidance your doc gives you for the whole first year and stay tuned in here for support.

My best first weeks advice: Do your meds and keep moving! Forget addiction and forget holistic for these first weeks. Low/no pain allows you to do the PT that is needed to get that new part moving. Movement is a very important part of your recoup.
I posted a lot during my earely days including a list of what I used to get around the house; even Josephine thought it a goodie. Do a search of my name for those posts if you like [thegiftlady]. I included a web reference to a Hospital for Special Surgery document that was very helpful too.
... Ever hear of the GOLFER's REACH? For me, it was a lifesaver while I was in my precautions weeks. Read about it.

It's 9 months post-op next week and I feel terrific. Crossing my legs is still not a great thing to do and I do get a reminder from time to time that I have to pay attention to this part of my body but I think it's God's way of holding me back from hurting myself :).

Thinking about my other hip a lot these days. No pain yet but my doc says I'll need a second. Thinking of having it done before my husband retires next year and our insurance changes / ObamaCare [OC] takes over our country. Though I had an almost perfect surgery/recoup I've learned with this surgery that I am left footed and I had my right hip done so I'm worried that my left hip will be a little more difficult. Probably just an empty fear.

Hope this helps. You have a little time. Like someone else said, read all you can in here. It will help a lot; no two surgeries are the same - even on the same person!
Good luck.

Thanks Joanne, sounds like yours has gone well then! I read a couple of posts left about recovery and think I've been way too optimistic, was hoping to get down gym within 7-10 days to use showers, steam and sauna rooms. I had also hoped to be able to do some upper body work to relieve the boredom too, maybe I will reconsider reading these!

Thanks Joanne, sounds like yours has gone well then! I read a couple of posts left about recovery and think I've been way too optimistic, was hoping to get down gym within 7-10 days to use showers, steam and sauna rooms. I had also hoped to be able to do some upper body work to relieve the boredom too, maybe I will reconsider reading these!

Hey Matt,
Definitely be optomistic, but DO NOT rush it. You will hate yourself! Healing is a process ... like building those muscles, LOL!
IDEA: You can bring weights to bed and work on your arms ... after you pass the blob-from-surgery-and-meds stage! Now that might help pass the time.
I chose buying a tablet and using it to read, read this forum, entertain myself, etc. I got the Xoom; has a 10 hour batt life. Amazing how the time flew by with that toy!
What's your surgery date? Put in your signature so posters can send you kudos after.

Matt like most of the people have said already everyones recovery is different but anything is possible because i was up out of bed the next morning and discharged in three days, keep your head up buddy i wish you all the best ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks