TKR Hi! New Here - My RTKR Recovery Thread

Hi there :wave:
Great update on wonderful progress made to date! Thank you for sharing. I think your assumption on Righty acting up over taking on a bit of double duty is spot on. I'm sorry it sounds like you landed in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) or at the very least a drive thru visit after PT and grocery shopping yesterday. :wink: With any luck the meds, elevation and ice did the trick and you had some restorative rest overnight. I hope you enjoy the day tomorrow, without pain. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
@VegasGirl

Just have a question as to which knee should be considered the “good” knee when doing the stairs since the non—operative knee is in need of replacement and the new knee feels pretty good. Don’t want to do the wrong thing and mess it up. Also, are there guidelines as to when the toilet seat riser should no longer be needed? Thanks for any input.

There is really no right or wrong, just do what feels best to you. Whichever knee does the steps the best use that one. But, remember that you will probably need to ice them both after going up and down stairs. This is a normal reaction.

After I had my first knee done, my second knee was also in pretty bad shape. However, I used the non-op knee as the "good" knee until I felt like the new operated knee was feeling good and had surpassed the non-op knee. I think this will all vary for every person.

Good morning! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend!
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks PO for Lefty! Things are progressing well. Incision looks good and ROM is coming along nicely. When she measured it Friday it was 120 - 0.

The worst part right now is that achiness while sleeping. And after reading through my earlier posts, it seems that will last a few more weeks. I'm only taking Tylenol during the day (unless it's a really rough day) But I still need something stronger at night. I take one right before bed and I get about 4 good hours of sleep. Once the meds wear off it's a struggle the rest of the night. I try not to take a 2nd pill because I have a limited amount and my OS won't refill it. Hopefully, it won't last too much longer. Once I'm up and moving around it feels so much better. I have tightness, but none of that aching and no pain in the knee.

Righty is at a little over 3.5 months. I do still have some stiffness but no aching at night, except that the scar is still a bit sensitive, so with all the repositioning at night it gets a bit sore overnight.

Glad to hear I’m not the only one with trouble sleeping. It is so frustrating not being able to get legs in a comfortable position. I hope it ends soon. Sorry for your discomfort.

@Whoodee looks like we are only a couple of weeks apart with our left knees. I hope you can also find some good sleep soon!

Hi All. I never like to do this, but I've come here to whine. :sorry: As you all know, complaining most people about how you feel or if you are hurting just accomplishes nothing. The usual comments are "But it's been a month since you're surgery. Surely you are feeling good now!" At least hubby gets it since he had his hi replaced just before my knees.

Anyway, it's just been a rough day. I didn't sleep much last night. I did have PT yesterday, but nothing that I would consider pushing it. All very gently, but of course it does still have an effect on your muscles. And today I am just hurting more than I have in the last week or so. The weather has drastically changed so that may play a part. I've been taking my Tylenol on schedule, but it's not cutting it. I'm trying to save my better meds for at night because my OS will not do a refill. Remembering how the first knee went, these next 2-3 weeks should show a nice change, I hope!

Anyway, thanks for listening!

Whining is allowed! :wink: I am sorry you had a rough day. Not getting enough sleep probably had you at a disadvantage right out of the gate. Hopefully with some rest and ice you'll feel better tomorrow. Through a little research I learned a change in weather can be felt by some in the form of discomfort.
It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery. Interesting, isn't it?
I hope you sleep well tonight and tomorrow is a brighter day! :SUNsmile:
@VegasGirl

Thank you, @Layla ! I'm thinking the pressure change has to be playing a part because even righty is acting up more than usual, and she's much further along. And yes, I have felt pains in many of my joints with the weather for years not. I was hoping having an artificial joint would change that, but I guess not! LOL

What I wouldn't give right now to sleep for 6 uninterrupted hours, or even 5!

I’m with you, VegasGirl. All my joints are worse with the wet weather. I’m with you, too, on the uninterrupted sleep. I can’t remember when I last had a solid night‘s sleep. Wonder if I ever will. It helps to know I’m not alone.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you slept well last night and today is a good day for you. :)
@VegasGirl

Thank you @Layla ! Sleep was a little better last night and I'm not hurting as much today, so progress! One day at a time!

Well, today was MUCH better. Still the usual tightness and discomfort at times, but not the pain like yesterday! Tomorrow is PT again so hopefully, it won't repeat on Saturday. I will ask to really just do light stretching tomorrow, I think.

I will ask to really just do light stretching tomorrow,
Good idea! Taking it easy during tomorrow's session will hopefully guarantee a good weekend for you. :fingersx:
Glad to hear today was much better. The good days will start outweighing the bad ones. :thumb:

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a good week. Today is Week 5 for Lefty, and just 3 days shy of 4 months for righty. Righty is doing well! I still have some stiffness, of course, especially after PT or doing a lot around the house, and expect that will last for a while. But no pain! Lefty is also improving nicely! The nighttime aches are getting better. Not totally gone, but I can see there will be an end to this road.

The last couple of nights I actually only had to get up once instead of 3 times. That is a huge improvement! Now I have to edit that to say that I did take something to help me sleep. I have had insomnia issues for years and have a prescription for sleep medication. Of course, while I was taking pain meds at night I did not use those for fear of interaction. But now that the pain is better, I decided to try one. It was so great to have some solid sleep!!

I had PT today. I'm still going twice a week. I see the surgeon next week and I'm thinking after that I'll be done with the outpatient PT and can continue at home. I feel so blessed with the therapist I have. She is great! She always checks to see how I'm doing before we start anything. And she always cautions me to not push if it starts to hurt.

All this is not to say that I don't still have bad days. I do! And some days it makes no sense to me how I can have just a great day, and then the next day is back to achy even though I don't remember doing anything that should have caused that. But I hope this gives someone encouragement that it does indeed get better. And at this point, I'm far from 100 percent, but not having that bone one bone pain when I walk helps me remember that going through all of this was so worth it!

3 days shy of 4 months for righty. Righty is doing well!
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty :egypdance:You're doing well!

It sounds like your therapist is a gem. You're lucky. I wish you the best at your appointment next week with your surgeon and hope you enjoy the weekend!

Thank you @Layla ! I've been blessed with my whole team!

The last 2 nights have been back to some achiness and less sleep. But I will take any good days I can!

Happy weekend to all!

Could I ask what medication you take for your insomnia. I suffer terribly with it and would love to know what actually works. I really need to get a good night‘s sleep!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom