TKR Hi! New Here - My RTKR Recovery Thread

They usually tell us to keep the leg straight with, but as @sistersinhim said, a slight bend is fine, and much more comfortable.

It’s way too early to worry about ROM, so just try to be as comfortable as you can. :console2:

I don't have to keep it super straight, no. The bleeding just would always restart when I was putting the knee at too much bend, or bending and straightening. So he just said to try to avoid too much movement in that way. And no more heal slides, etc until it's closed up. And yes, a slight bend is way more comfortable.

So far I'm not seeing any bleeding or seeping coming through the bandaging, so hopefully the worst is over!

Thank goodness you aren't seeing any more seepage. I know that was scary.

Did you go to PT today?

Update from my bleeding incident. I was able to take my immobilization wrapping off this morning. The pads were all clean and looks like once the knee was kept still for a while, the bleeding completely stopped. The incision looks great and no other symptoms. Since everything was all good, I was able to put on a regular dressing, and will go back to the OS on Wednesday to have staples removed. I was also cleared to go back to PT today. I did have a good discussion with the therapist, that because of what happened I was wanting to do a very nonstrenuous workout today and he agreed! So I just did a few simple stretches to get the leg moving again. No deep bending or anything serious. The knee did great! I'm back home now and feeling ok, other than the normal 10-day post-surgery stiffness and aches!

It's good that the PT was supportive in the right way for you. I bet all that bleeding scared them. I'm glad that you're back on track. :happydance:

Even though PT was light today, I am really feeling it now. I've been pretty good on weaning back on the pain meds, but I just went ahead and took one. I guess I am only on day 10. However, patience is NOT one of my virtues.

However, patience is NOT one of my virtues.
I think the vast majority of us faced this very thing. It's so hard to think of a surgery taking a year or more to completely heal from. We're hoping we're one of the blessed ones that will be perfectly healed in a couple of months. For a very few lucky ones, it does happen like that. For most of us it does not. The more we try and speed up the healing, the more we set it back. It is so much better to just let the knee heal at its own pace and try not to push it past what it can do without added pain or swelling.

If you're paying for it after, it was too much. Here's a quick chart on where you are in healing, 10 days is super early and it's easy to set yourself back if you push too hard.:

I went back to the surgeon this morning to get my staples out. Everything went great! The bleeding issue seems to be totally resolved. I did do a week of antibiotics just in case, and there is no sign of infection or anything. He was very pleased with my ROM and overall progress so far. In fact, he even said that he wished I had a third knee he could operate on because it's been going so well! As nice as that sounds, I'm very glad I do NOT have a third knee! :heehee:

I just want to mention one thing. I have been reading the board a lot and see so many of you all who have such problems with your surgical team. They either are too set in their ways, have no bedside manner, think they are gods, or whatever. This makes me so sad to read. I have been so blessed with everyone I have dealt with during my care. My surgeon is so caring and supportive! He listens to me. And yes, he has his way of doing things but has never forced me into one thing or another. I ALWAYS see him, not a PA. I'm actually not even sure he has a PA. His nurse is terrific, and I think she is one of the sweetest nurses I have worked with.
If there is anyone in the central Indiana area who needs the name of a good surgeon, I would be happy to pass him on!

If there is anyone in the central Indiana area who needs the name of a good surgeon, I would be happy to pass him on!
Please tell us who he is so we can add him to our surgical list, if he’s not already on it.

I‘m so glad you have such a nice surgeon as that is such a comforting factor for our recovery.

He is Dr. Mark C. Page at Lafayette Orthopaedic Clinic in Lafayette, Indiana
Phone if you want it is 765-447-4168.

My husband had his hip replaced by him, and we have been very pleased with that result as well!

It feels great to have the stitches out of this knee!! I always feel like they hamper my movement a bit, not to mention pinch! But wow, the weather here has been cold and is getting colder! And the knees are feeling it! Even my 3-month-old new knee woke up really stiff this morning, and not from overdoing it. I go back to PT tomorrow, and I think some nice easy stretching will be just the ticket!

I can't wait to be able to go for some nice walks this spring when the weather warms up!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

@VegasGirl thanks for sharing the name of your surgeon. We keep a database of recommended surgeons and often give details for members searching for a surgeon.

Back to PT today, my first time after getting the staples out! It definitely feels like I can move a bit more freely with them removed. My therapists have been great about letting me go at my own pace, and it really seems to be working! I was doing some heel slides, and she just looked at me and said, "I want to measure you. That looks great." I'm only at a little over 2 weeks post surgery and today I was at 0-118. I know I could have gone more than 118, but that would have taken me into pain, so I didn't! But what I really wanted to share was that other than the workouts at PT, I haven't been doing anything at home other than ADL and some very light stretching. With the first knee, I pushed myself harder and did more at home, and yet I'm doing better this time around! So it does show that you don't have to kill yourself to make progress!!

Today is 3 weeks PO for Lefty. Righty is now at 3.5 months. A nice milestone, an observation, and an overdid it excursion, sigh.

This weekend I was able to get rid of the toilet seat riser I have been using! Yay! It definitely made a huge difference the first few weeks, but I no longer need it. Of course, I still have to lower myself down slowly, but it's progress!

An interesting observation, and something that may be of use to others who are thinking of having a second knee done in a somewhat short period of time. I have noticed that Righty has been acting up a bit ever since I had Lefty done. Jealousy? Maybe :heehee: But I'm pretty sure it's due to the face that Righty now has to be the dominant knee and work a bit harder. I'm not having any pain or anything, but I am noticing a bit more stiffness than I was just before the second surgery. Is it enough that I wish I had waited a bit longer? No! I'm happy to have them both done and looking forward to when they are both happy to carry me around!

Unfortunately, I overdid it today. I had PT this morning, a nice easy session just to stretch things out and loosen up. I felt great when I left there, and that was the problem. I decided to do my Thanksgiving grocery run since I was feeling so "good". Well, that was too much and when I got home the knees were NOT happy with me. So I've been elevating and icing and took some meds. Hopefully, sleep won't be too rough tonight.

I want to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving this week! I'm so happy to have found this site!

Thank you for posting this. I am five weeks post op from my left TKR and will be having the right one done February 27. Your post was helpful for me. I hope I do as well as you.

You are very welcome @Whoodee ! Your second knee will be an additional month separation than mine, so that should also help. Best wishes!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back