Hi! Just an up date on my PRP for my shoulder

PT said he doesn't think I need replacement.
How is this person qualified to make such a silly statement. Has this PT been trained in reading diagnostic x-rays. Exercise will not cure a knee that needs replacing. I hope you aren't taking his advice!

I've been going to this PT for almost 20 years and trust him
He treats whole body and watches the way I walk and exercise. I also had the PRP treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Just curious does anyone see these pop up ads? How do I get rid of them

Hello everyone,

I'm an old/new member. I had Total Knee replacement and arthroscopic surgery , and posted under the name SarasotaLady, but the forum claims not to recognize me. Anyway, I'm back with new body part issue.

Kssii, I'm so glad I found your post-- I too have bad shoulder arthritis, with flattened head , no cartilage, and bone spurs. Much pain and little range of motion. I went to 2nd orthopod today, and was advised that total shoulder replacement is needed. But I have reservations -- my age (75), other illnesses including congestive heart failure and asthma ( which make me a high risk patient for any surgery with anesthetic) breast cancer, and problems i encountered with knee replacement recovery . The orthopod did discuss PRP and was up front regarding inconclusive results, no insurance , etc. but also little downtime and possibility of help if affordable.

Sounds like you've gained a year of reduced pain and some better movement ,or am I overstating? I would be happy to have that- I'm not an athlete, just want to be able to exercise and get on with my life. I don't want trauma, opiods, added risks,, etc.

So , given where you are now, would you say PRP was worth it and should at least be considered? Many thanks.

Beachy (formerly SarasotaLady)

Of course no one can say for sure how anyone will react to this procedure and some people, for whatever reason, will get better results than others. However, your condition sounds a lot like mine plus I also have three partial rotator tears. Cortisone shots did absolutely nothing for me. It has been 18 mths. now since my PRP, and I am still able to reach out to close the car door, drive the riding mower for hours at a time, put a 1/2 gal. of milk on a shelf above shoulder height, and pull weeds. In the last 6 months, after a particularly stressful day, I have taken a couple of ibuprophen at bedtime--maybe half-dozen times. I do put a small pillow under that arm at night when it is "on top." Wishing you the best--tell us what happens.

I've started my PRP treatments last November. The out of pocket cost was steep but I could easily have blown it on dinners and shoes.
It was the best investment for me as the thought of going thru a knee replacement surgery was not an option again. I've had both shoulders replaced and had my hip done 2x as I dislocated at work. Pure torture
I met with the DO who explained procedure taking blood putting thru centrifuge separating good blood an injecting it in knee. I follow him for 1 year can see him as many times as I want even to see him to get stretched. I just had my second PRP injection 1 month ago and as seen in the X-rays the bone on bone not as great its actually working. He's now accepting MC which I will be on in 2 months and says if I want to go thru more treatments he can inject in the joints that have been replaced
My shoulders were done in 2012 and 2015 rotator cuff stayed in tact so rehab and recovery a breeze compared to the other replacements. I really trust this dr and he's easy to talk to and explains everything in simple terms. Since I just had 2 falls I went to him crying and he reassured me will fix it if he can. He aspirated 2ml of fluid from knee and will be going back since I fell again. My feeling is I've nothing to lose and would do anything to avoid surgery and rehab again!!

Appreciate feedback from everyone. I know that past results are no guarantees, but sounds like it's worth exploring. If/when I start, I'll post.

She having the platelet rich plasma (PRP) on her shoulder. Her joint replacements were knee and hip!

Sorry for misunderstanding
PRP in rt knee. Both shoulders already replaced

Besides my shoulders ltr and rt hip done 2x first time dislocated at work 3 years later.
The PRP seems to be having s good effect X-rays show more space between joints. hallelujah!!!

Checking in! Just to let you guys know—three years since PRP and still way less pain than before I had it done! The shoulder still never “locks down” and I can still put up the dishes, close the car door etc. I haven’t had any physical therapy for two years. Am I totally pain free—no, but majority of nights, still don’t require pain meds to sleep.

@Kssii.....this is absolutely the BEST news!!! For those who are good candidates for these regenerative medicine treatments, it is well worth it. You're living proof of that and I appreciate you coming back to let us know how well you're doing.

I think there is a lot in the future with regenerative medicine, I had a friend who had PRP and she is amazed and happy.

Me, not so good. I had two PRP treatments in both knees and it actually got worse, not better. Eight months later did the left knee, which had a previous acl surgery, meniscus surgery, did the right one six months ago and now I’m a new person. The only downside is that I can’t get on my knees.

Thanks for posting this on here. There are lots of options for us to deal with OA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bethsail and others who would like to explore several options and learn the latest in regenerative medicine...

Register and tune in to our second Joint Kitchen Webinar this coming Wednesday, May 22nd. Dr. Michael Ries will share the stage with Dr. Mark Lawler, Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon from California Orthopaedics and Spine Future Medical Group. You can find out more information about the program and sign up by either clicking on the Joint Kitchen Webinar rotating banner at the top of the page or on this link. https://bonesmart.org/jkws/

In 2014 my doctor told me I needed a shoulder replacement. I fought doing it and in 2015 had a “clean out” because I didn’t want the total shoulder replacement he recommended. After the clean out I recovered quickly and had virtually no pain—for a few weeks, but then things deteriorated quickly. Couldn't hang up my towel, grab the car door, pick up a pile of laundry or put plates on the shelf. Was taking tylenol 3 at night to sleep and my arm would "lock" down every night when I would be sitting on the couch. (The kind of bone on bone pain that can only be stopped by changing position, except that you don't want to move!!) I had an MRI, early 2016; both my PT guy and my surgeon were amazed I had as much use of my arm as I did--arthritic remodeling along the glenoid, flatten humerus head, three partial tears--much worse than it was BEFORE the surgery one year earlier. On January 21, 2016, I had PRP done on my shoulder. After the PRP, things improved gradually, but steadily, over the next year. It has now been over six years and I have to tell you it was certainly worth doing. I broke the other arm a few months ago (actually broke it twice, 3 months apart—long story!) which means I put an serious extra load on PRP arm and it has been great. I’m not going to tell you I never have any pain, but it is minimal—I still don’t have to use painkillers for it. I can do all sorts of things such as putting a gallon of milk on the fridge shelf, driving the riding lawnmower, closing the car door, shoveling in the garden.

That is a great report! I’m glad it went so well for you, and it should be an encouragement to others. :flwrysmile:

can do all sorts of things such as putting a gallon of milk on the fridge shelf, driving the riding lawnmower, closing the car door, shoveling in the garden.
These surgeries really help us appreciate the ability to do the simple things you mentioned above. We take freedom of movement for granted until pain takes over and we’re unable to function normally. Thanks for stopping by to share such an encouraging update. Wishing you a wonderful Summer 2022! :SUNsmile:

I do want clarify PRP, platelet rich plasma, is not a surgery. It is simply a shot.

It is awesome that we have options. Injections, procedures, total joint replacement, whatever safely works to help us to regain mobility, lose pain and live a full active life is a blessing. Thankfully your pain is minimal and you don’t have to rely on medication.
I hope it stays that way for you. :thumb:
@Kssii

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member