BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Hi I'm back! Another TKR scheduled for June 6th

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by aepler, Mar 19, 2017.

1. aepler

aepler New Member

United States United States
    Hello everyone. My name is Karen and I am from Buffalo, NY. I will be 59 years old tomorrow (3/20/17). I had my left knee replaced in October of 2012 and will be having the right knee replaced on June 6, 2017.

My previous left knee replacement surgery went well, however, my knee was having great difficulty bending. At about 8 weeks after the knee replacement surgery, I had to go back in the hospital for manipulation under anesthesia due to scar tissue forming quickly. After that, the knee felt much better.

The right knee has gotten worse over the past year or so and the cortisone shots are no longer helping. My last cortisone shot was in February. I learned that I cannot have the knee replaced within 3 months of the shot, due to risk of infection. I am just counting down until June 6th.

The waiting for the surgery is nerve wracking and I really appreciate having this forum available for information and support.

Thanks very much,

Karen

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @aepler Welcome back to BoneSmart! We will be with you through this second journey. Sorry you have to wait so long. As you know that waiting is the hardest part. I look forward to following your recovery.

3. Grammy211

Grammy211 Senior

@aepler, Happy Belated Birthday!! I had my left tkr July 2013 and my right tkr January 2017 (almost 11 weeks). I can imagine how hard it must be to wait till June! Once I made the decision to have the second knee done, I wanted it done now! However when I think back that I am now almost 11 weeks post op I am amazed at how quickly that time has flown by. June and your new knee will be here before you know it (along with some beautiful weather)!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

4. aepler

aepler New Member

Thank you Jacey and Grammy211! I thought June would be just fine to schedule this left knee replacement. I knew it had to be done and i would have intermittent pain but it wasn't horrible. Well my Achilles' tendon started acting up on my right ankle. Doc put me in a boot to rest the right ankle, and my left knee went quickly down hill and has been in daily pain ever since. The knee replacement can't come soon enough and I had a shot of cortisone in February but it did nothing. I guess I'm stuck now, due to the fact that my surgeon won't do surgery 3 months out from a cortisone shot. I will try to be patient and will gather as much information as possible from the BoneSmart forums.

5. newlybionic

newlybionic Forum Advisor

A belated Happy Birthday! I have also been in a waiting period to get my second knee done. I saw my OS in January and I've set a date of April 17th for mine. The time does seem to go very slowly. I've been having a lot of pain and my OS gave me some tramadol to take. When used with Tylenol it is very effective. Perhaps your OS can prescribe you some so you can be comfortable at night.

6. aepler

aepler New Member

Hello newlybionic! Thank you for the advice - I may give my OS a call. I have been taking Celebrex daily (200mg.) and have been using a topical anti inflammatory gel but they have not been terribly effective.

7. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @aepler, it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
    Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)

8. aepler

aepler New Member

I apologize, Josephine. I am not sure what I did, but noticed after I posted. I will be more careful with future posts.

9. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @aepler
    Here is some pre-op information, to help you prepare for you June TKR.

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Also, here are the recovery guidelines and reading list:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.