Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Hi Everyone now 4 weeks post op

Melmax2

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone, had my THR done on 6/1 it was actually the 3rd surgery done on my right hip the first 2 were labrum repairs, that were supposed to fix the problem is I don't think so well I changed surgeon's and he actually listened to me. Well that brings me to surgery, I wake up in my room don't remember the recovery room at all ☺ The next day they get me out of bed, my operative leg feels like lead. By day 2, not only have I come down with pneumonia my leg is so swollen I can't move it. I was so miserable because no visitors covid. Can't wait to go home. Anyway after 5 days of antibiotics fever goes down I finally get to go home. Oops, forget to tell you about PT the first person I was not to happy with 2nd time getting out of bed leg still feeling like lead and he wouldn’t even help me. Didn't understand that one.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Melmax2 Welcome to the other side! Sorry you had a rocky start to this recovery. Hope all is easing for you now.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
Melmax2

Melmax2

Country
Thanks for the tips. I've been down this road many times with pt, and absolutely refuse to let them push me beyond what I'm able to do. I push myself hard enough lol

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome! Thanks for joining us. I love your avatar...so cute.
I’m sorry you were off to such a rough start. Pneumonia to boot...oh my!
Thankfully you’re home now and hopefully resting comfortably.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines, I think you’ll find the info useful. Stop by often, we’d love to support and encourage you as you’re healing.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Monday. :)
@Melmax2

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your shiny new hip. It must have been great to get home to your own space especially after the pneumonia delay . I always think there is no place like home once they are done with surgery and I can walk with the walker.

OP
OP
Melmax2

Melmax2

Country
Hi all 4 weeks post not sure were this goes sry haven't posted been been feeling very down. I'm using the cane now, I'm up walking more but I notice over the weekend that I have a lot of pain at the top of my thigh. Is this normal...I'm not in physical therapy, but I do the exercises they show me at home. Both my leg are swollen. Is this all normal or should I be concerned.☺☺

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
Each one of us experiences recovery differently though some feelings of depression are quite normal. I am sorry you are still having pain. Have you spoken with your OS? Did they offer any advice? If you have not called them, please do as they are there to help with recovery also.

The other thing is are you elevating and icing regularly. Icing and elevating your legs are vital to keep the swelling down. Icing (make sure there is a barrier between you and the ice like a thin towel or pillowcase) for at least 45min throughout the day is so important. I actually iced pretty much non stop any time I was sitting, elevating or laying down.

There is also a lymph massage that is helpful that @CricketHip has written about. Our lymph system helps dissipate swelling. I have tagged her so that she can see this and offer the instructions herself.

Hip recovery does not really need much exercises other than walking. The only exercises I did in small amounts are ankle pumps (these I did a lot), butt squeezes and quad tightening. You might be overdoing the exercises especially this early in recovery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Melmax2
Consider leejaa’s suggestion above in regard to icing and elevating to aid in relief from swelling. Like leejaa, I also iced pretty much anytime I was sitting or laying down. I would aim for several times per day, at least. Try skipping the exercises for a week or two, ramp up the icing and elevating and see how you feel. Please stop back and let us know how you’re doing. Following are a few articles - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
Best wishes for brighter days! :SUNsmile:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Melmax2 - and :welome: back.

I', sorry things haven't been going very well for you.

Read the articles that Layla has left for you again, as well as the advice leejaa posted. I think they will all help.

I wonder if you're doing too much? This recovery takes a long, long time and it's all too easy to expect to be further ahead than your body is ready for.I would ease off the exercises - hips don't need a lot and your new hip will get all the exercise it needs, just from your activities of daily living.

By the way, you'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Don't worry that we won't see your question as, between us the staff read all new posts every day.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Melmax2 Hello! I'm sorry you are struggling a bit and am wondering if you are doing too much with the exercises?
Would you consider easing up and doing the ice and elevating routine for the remainder of the week? :ice:
I'd be happy to offer you some of the Lymphatic Drainage techniques, they are very basic and easy to do, the most difficult part for me was trying to stay awake to do them! They are very relaxing.
It won't take the place of a full MLD session but it can definitely help. So, I will leave them here for you to try, if you are up to it.

I hope you begin feeling some relief soon. :SUNsmile:

**** Lymphatic Breathing for Lower Extremities
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Melmax2 I'm sorry you've got that pain and swelling! The pain sounds familiar to me.

I love CricketHip's lymphatic massage, and wish I'd known about it for my hips! I could have been so much more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @Melmax2
I hate that because if this virus, you had to "go it alone" and with the pneumonia complication also...:unsure:
Hope you've discovered that many of those exercises just irritates the soft tissue that is still healing, and are still taking it easy. All temporary and patience is prescribed in large doses.
I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LauraP2016
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom