THR Hi All... Right side done today

Because right now the operated right leg does appear longer than the left, but we measured both legs the other day and they are the same length..
Almost every new hippie feels a leg length difference. In most cases this feeling just fades with time. Give it 3-4 months before attempting any corrections.

Hi Jaycey...

Yeah.. It is actually longer laying down side by side but not longer when measured one leg against the other.

Its from my scoliosis where one hip is pushed up higher than the other that the chiropractic adjustment is able correct at least for a period of time...

Once you get home and resume daily activities, where the focus isn't on your surgery, as it is when you are in the hospital, I'll bet you find things will gradually work themselves out. Just living life, walking, icing while you watch TV or work on the computer......climbing stairs when ready....each and every day things start to fall into place. (And be prepared....along with this, you will also discover some new aches and pains-----fewer if you don't overdo, but even then, as you get more active, your body will let you know. Pop on the forum when that happens for reassurance/advice. (You notice I didn't say IF, but rather WHEN:heehee:)

My son and his wife have been teaching in Sosua in the Dominican Republic the past two years and I've been able to visit twice. I love the vegetation, the beaches, the culture and the climate. Is life in Puerto Rico similar? (I know the hurricane really was devastating and you are still recovering, but before that....similar to DR or???)

Hi Debru...

Yeah... I expecting anything... Still kind of amazed they can even do these operations..!!

Take out the old part... put in a new one..!

WOW...!!

So Sosua does look similar in many ways from what I see to the area I live in...

Interesting about your son and his wife... Are they teaching as a team so to speak or doing something separately..??

In general things pretty much back to what it is before the hurricane near where I live...

A number of people though never fixed up their condos/apartments... So you can you see boarded up places in otherwise good areas..

There have been a number of insurance companies who just didn’t have the funds to cover their loses and went out of business..

So basically some people were paying for years to companies who weren’t legit... And there isn’t much in the way general emergency funds like states have set up to cover insolvent insurance companies..

My son and his wife are teaching in an international school in Sosua on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. They live nearby in Cabarete. Students who go to the school graduate with a diploma from both the Dominican and the US. They had taught in CO and wanted to teach internationally for awhile. I always told my kids if they moved away from Colorado, I hoped they went somewhere fun for me to visit---haha! The DR has been a wonderful place to visit, and to learn about. Where are you in Puerto Rico? Is your family from there?

I had wondered about the hurricane after effects and if it impacted you in your home and job--glad to hear you feel things are getting back to normal. My kids experienced 2 hurricanes within their first couple of months in the DR---living in landlocked Colorado, I can hardly imagine! Good luck with your next couple days!

Hi Debru...

So made it home all..!:wave:

Things going pretty good...

They gave me a load medicine to take... 8 different prescriptions... Xarelto the most important... to prevent blood clots...

Wonder if most everyone else had the same amount of meds to take afterwords...?

That’s neat about your son and his wife... Nice giving out that hint... Warm and Sunny...!

Actually from Philadelphia... Was in Florida from about 2000 helping my parents...

As things change thought I would try something a little different and here I is..!!

So I’m in a place called Palmas Del Mar... On the east side of the island... I play golf... Ha... When I can walk...! That’s why I moved here...

Was in Rincon for a year... Big surfing area... Not much golf though... So I move east..!!

It was a little crazy before Maria hit... All the charts had it basically coming through my front door..! Eventually ended up hitting a few miles south...

Last edited:
Yay for home!:yay:
You sound well and ready to see this recovery through so you can get back to your life in a big way!
Keep it all slow and steady and we will look forward to see updates on your journey!:yes:

Hi Mojo...

Thanks... Yeah definitely trying to ease on back...

Take your meds on time...stay ahead of the pain...ice it up:ice: and try to relax.

All temporary!!!
Healing mojo coming your way

Did you do a modified happy dance when you got home?:happydance:I have to say, given you didn't have complications, your surgery/hospital experience sure was longer, and different from those experienced by many of us here on the Forum.

I think I just came home from the hospital on aspirin for blood thinning, an antinausea pill, a stool softener, and a pain pill. 8 pills seems like a lot.

Sounds like a great place to live if you like things like surfing and golf. :) :-) (: Are you retired, or do you work there? My kids also were warned they were directly in the path two times, but both hurricanes shifted. In fact, one of the hurricanes shifted position due to the way it hit Puerto Rico---small world, that your misfortune kept them safe.

Hi Jonny!
Congrats on making it home. You're probably in better shape than most upon arriving home due to
your extra time in rehabilitation. In a way it's probably a blessing because I'm assuming you had a lot of those early questions and concerns addressed right away, rather than wondering about certain aspects of the healing process. I believe I would have taken comfort in the time spent there.

It does seem like a lot of meds initially. There can be different varieties of pain meds, DVT, bowel care, nausea, infection prevention etc. I had a few prescriptions that I didn't even use. One was a bump for another med, lol. I had to have my prescriptions filled prior to my surgery, bring them the day of, then turn them over to the medical professionals to dispense. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have had a couple of the scripts filled until I needed them....because I didn't need a few. I found it difficult to keep tabs on it all for days and relied on hubs until he started making me accountable. I was a bit foggy brained initially and forgetful!

It sounds like you live in a beautiful area for recovery. Fresh air, sunshine and the sea. Aaah!
I hope your day is lovely and your weekend peaceful. Thanks for your update.
@JonnyNight

@JonnyNight ... let's I think there's a connection ...

Here are some code words for you.

The Mummers ...

The Iggles

Water Ice

Down the Shore (dewn the shure)

Glad you made it back home ... Yes, I had about 8 medicines ... an anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant, nerve block, Tylenol, Oxy, Aspirin, Tylenol, Stool Softener ... and probably at least one or two more I'm forgetting. But the 8-med regimen wasn't for too long ...

Hey Debru... Layla.. Going4fun...

Yeah... They threw a vitamin and iron prescription in there...

Ha Ha... Yes I lookin for fortune rather than misfortune but DR is pretty much protected from big hit hurricanes since for the most part they would go through PR first... unless it comes up more from the south which is unusual...

Other than that of course it pretty nice year round as you can imagine...

I’m a graphic designer so can do that from anywhere... Sort of retired... but I still do things...

Yeah... I was searching for a tummy pill and found one in my haul... But those 3 ice cream cones made feel ThE BeST..!! :loveshwr:

Going4fun... Serious..!! OK...

Yeah... There is accent for sure... Playing golf a few years ago and a guy I never met in life was at least 50 yards away from me and he yells out..

“Are you from Philadelphia...” LOL..!! Oh Man... Really... I had no idea it was that obvious...

I still trying to figure out how he heard me that far away... Maybe we crossed paths earlier..

I don’t know if your phonetic spelling of “Down the Shore” is accurate.. looks a little extreme to me... but I leave that up to the linguists to say for sure...

Never was big on the water ice though... Go for the Breyers Ice Cream..!!

Last edited:
I vote Ben & Jerrys....never tried a bad one....yet anyways.
Many discussions here have led to ice cream. Must be a popular recovery choice.
You seem well, Jonny. Good to know.

You have a resemblance to Al Pacino....I think it's the eyes. Ever heard that?

Hope your weekend is a pleasant one!
@JonnyNight

Hi Layla...

Oh my goodness...! Pacino... Well... I don’t know..

I’m going have to thank the guy who retouched my photo... I told him.. “make look like a somebody... Anbody... I don’t care...!”

I do hear things though... that’s for sure..!! :wink:

Yeah... just said Breyers cause it’s an old Philadelphia company originally.. But they got passed long time ago by companies like Ben & Jerrys...

Didn’t know I’ve cream was one of the go to CURES here...!

But it makes Perfect Sense..!! For Sure..!!

@JonnyNight, yeah, I was extreme on the Philly accent ... But another true story ... went to college with a woman ... didn't see her for 25 years ... go to a cookout of mutual friend ... this college classmate is there. She speaks one sentence and I say, "you're from Philly." ... No one else at the party (none of whom lived in Philadelphia) could hear the accent. Anyway, I'm a voluntary Philadelphian and I love the place and the people ...

Sounds like recovery is going OK ... got a good schedule for those meds?

Hey Going4fun...

Sounds like you have a few adventures here and there..!.

Yeah... I checking out those meds...

Just have to wait for those muscles to get back in shape...

Hey Jonny,
Now that you've been home for a few days I'll bet you've established a routine.
Hopefully all is falling into place. Wondering how you're doing, sleeping, pain, meds
all that kind of stuff. I hope your pain is well managed and you're getting some decent sleep at night.

Recovery gets boring quickly. I was going stir crazy around Day 12 and someone on the forum pointed out that I needed to get out and smell the roses, which I hadn't done up until that point. I took the advice and it made a difference, for sure.

Best wishes for a great week!
@JonnyNight

Last edited:
:wave:Hope all is going well.
This recovery business can be a bit tedious, especially these early weeks.
Good investment in a hip pain free future though!
Keep the faith! All temporary!:ok:

I definitely got out and about 3 weeks after the op and was lucky that friends took me out to the pub etc. I did get cabin fever a bit at home.. Small walks outside too, starting with walking up the road to the postbox on two crutches, then further distances, then one crutch which I stayed on for a long time… it did all come back but boy I had to learn some patience - NOT my virtue. Is surfing on the cards post hip op? I am starting to climb pool ladders and build up strength to try scuba diving again in 4 months time. Fingers crossed. Best wishes for a great recovery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom