THR Hi All... Right side done today

Glad to hear you're Happy Jonny!
Patience is a virtue, one I haven't honed but you're setting a fine example for me.
I do hope this new day is finding you in less pain because it's better managed.
I wish you luck as you try out your sea legs today, you'll have to report back on your maiden voyage.
Hope it's easy peasy, at least easier than you're imagining.
Wishing you comfort and all things good!
@JonnyNight

And what are your plans once you walk out of the hospital? Stay in Puerto Rico? Beautiful place to recover, that's for sure!

Sounds like you're describing compression sleeves for your lower calves and the "purple pillow of pain". Seriously trussed up the 1st couple nights. All the more reason to be seriously drugged up.
They were trying to keep me controlled with percocet, but when I found out they could put something through the port that would allow me some sleep, I went for it. Hang in there buddy, you'll be fine!
I'm 10days out and doing good.

Hey All...

Sorry haven’t posted for a few days...

Things going good now... So guess that’s what matters the most..!

Things didn’t go exactly as I had hoped the first week in that I was hoping to be walking a bit the day after the op, but circumstances just weren’t quite what I expected...

Had the drain tube in till Thursday following the Tuesday op and the hospital I was in doesn’t let you walk when you’re like that...

From what I understand could be a bit of staffing situation too.

I live in Palmas Del Mar which is in the town of Humacao and this is were hurricane maria pretty much hit land and the hospital surgery unit just reopened a few months ago...

Was told because, except for the emergency room, the hospital wasn’t functioning for just about a year and that a number of areas of operation needed recertification.

It’s a five story hospital and much of the interior infrastructure was significantly damaged so right now just the first floor which is administrative and the second floor are open, half of which is surgery and the other half beds.

But anyway was transferred to their rehab unit on Friday night and you know, as luck would have it could not start any pt till Monday...

So it was a week till I took my first steps...

Yeah, I know not the greatest... But I think I’m rolling pretty good now...

Walking pretty smooth and just have general soreness and muscular weakness from the op...

Actually had stopped taking Percocet on Monday because it was making me a little wacky... Couldn’t concentrate on anything... But started taking it again yesterday because of pain from the stitches...

Looking for that ideal balance of being out of it and head working somewhat...:)

OH..!!

Thanks everyone..!

Talk to you later..!

I'm happy to hear from you, Jonny.
Was afraid we scared you off.
It sounds as though you're moving forward after a rough start. That's encouraging.
Please stay in touch. We're here for you and will enjoy sharing in your progress.
A nice weekend to you!
@JonnyNight

All good and you will walk out that stiffness! Best wishes for your recovery :)

Thanks Layla and SurreyGirl...!

Oh no couldn’t scare me off but didn’t feel like saying too much when wasn’t too much good going on..

Waiting for the good..!

Of course... thankfully the good showed up...!

I guess otherwise I would have been back regardless..

Just remember to ice that hip after walking as it really does help get swelling down and stop bruising. Do you know when you are being discharged?

Great to hear from you! You have been very positive from the start, and I'm glad you are seeing progress. The first few weeks are so uneven, and filled with odd and unusual (and often worrisome) aches and pains. Luckily, they tend to go away within a few months.

I'm sorry that things are still so challenging in Puerto Rico for the medical professionals and their patients. It is hard for those of us who haven't been in that type of setting to comprehend. It must be so frustrating to see how many parts of the infrastructure still need work, and to be right in the midst of it, with very little you can do. Good luck on your next steps.....keep us posted:)

:wave:
I think the protocol seems very different there and conservative.
Do make sure that you do some ankle pumps while lying about and I'm guessing when they finally spring you and you can get home, you will find recovery to be more relaxed and it is definitely easier to get comfortable!
Hang in there, friend...all temporary!:yes:

Hi Debru4,

Thanks... Yeah a few weeks I’m sure will help everything...

Right now I’m one of the few here with THR...

Most with knees and they are feeling it...

Hi Mojo...

I definitely doing the pumps and other moves...

I can walk around as much as I want right now so things going pretty good...

Thanks...

Hi Jonny,
Glad to hear things are going well for you and you'll be discharged mid week.
I recall you saying you have family in FL. If none are making the trip to help you out over your first several days home, I hope you have friends or a neighbor willing to check on you daily in those early days until you figure out the ropes at home.

Wondering if they arrange any type of home health care, or after care in Puerto Rico?
We can certainly try to help, guide and advise in addition to any medical hotline info you receive from your OS.
You know where to find us. Hope you have a nice Sunday!
@JonnyNight

Hi Kayla,

Thanks... Yeah definitely I have some people who can help...

Maybe I already mentioned after the hurricane one of the supermarkets started home deliveries, so that’s a nice one...

I'll bet you are counting the days until you get home! The grocery delivery will be great! Since you are going home a bit later than many do here in the US, hopefully you'll be past some of the early days discomfort. As long as your home is laid out pretty conveniently, and you have someone to check in on you, you should be fine. Here's hoping the next couple days go quickly.:SUNsmile:

Hi Jonny,
Big day tomorrow, or Thursday :happydance:
I hope you're ready and feeling good.
Well...as good as you can feel at 13 days post op.
Let us know how it's going once you're settled in.
A great day to you :)
@JonnyNight

Hey There Debru and Layla..!

Tomorrow...! 3pm I go..!

:yes!: :yes!: :yes!: :spin::happydance::loveshwr:

Thanks All for everything..!

Yeah I got the place as ready as possible...

I have a little scoliosis situation that can make one leg appear longer than the other but a chiropractor visit always makes that even out..

Because right now the operated right leg does appear longer than the left, but we measured both legs the other day and they are the same length..

Just called my chiropractor to make sure it was my right leg that always appeared longer and it was...

So just have to figure out how long before I can go since it requires lying on your stomach..

Talk to you later...:loveshwr:

:thumb: Things sound positive!

I hope Layla..!

I play golf and it’s been awhile since I could really play...

Was told about 4 months...

So we see..!

Anyone coming down to PR let me know we get together... :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics