BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Hi All..!! Getting a THR in Puerto Rico..!!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by JonnyNight, Jan 12, 2019.

1. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

United States United States
    Hi Everyone,

First time here..!!

BoneSmart.org Looks Awesome...!! Thank you so much..!!

So I moved to Puerto Rico about 5 years ago. Originally from Philadelphia then Florida for about 15 years.

Woke up one morning about 5 months ago with really severe muscular pain in my upper right thigh and groin and didn't know what hit me. Took a few months to figure out what was going on since I've had Sciatica which comes and goes and much of the pain is in similar areas for both Sciatica and Osteoarthritis.

Since I never had a problem at all with my right leg I assumed it was the Sciatica moving around because on the same day I developed the pain in my right leg the pain in my left leg went away for the most part.

So long story short, had an MRI done late December while in Florida and My Primary Care Physician took one look at the report and told me I needed a THR ASAP... because early avascular necrosis was present.

The doctor actually shook me up a little bit. It was almost kind of "You need a heart operation today..!"

I was like... What..!!..??

He actually said to me if I didn't do anything, at some point my hip would would turn to MUSH..!! WOW..!! LOL...!!

OK... I think I'm going to do this..!!

So I have surgery scheduled for January 29th. Just made the arrangements yesterday.

Was trying to figure out should I do this in the states or in PR since I have family in Florida. After realizing I would pretty much have to be in Florida for up to 3 months because of flying restrictions after surgery decided to do it in Puerto Rico.

Actually this is going to work out pretty good because apparently and I just found this out, post op is handled much differently in Puerto Rico than in the states. I had been reading on BoneSmart of so many people being sent home pretty much the same day as their surgery and that really had me concerned since I live alone right now in a 2nd floor walkup. I would of had to make a whole lot of arrangements with many people for traveling and getting food and just about everything else.

Was told by my doctor I would be in the hospital 3 days and would be in a inpatient recovery center for 2 weeks for rehab and could stay up to a month if needed. So I was thrilled to find this out. This is really a life saver for me.

So anyway I'm ready to go and thanks very much to everyone at BoneSmart.org for your great site and to all the people who visit and post their experiences.

Bye for now..!!

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @JonnyNight Welcome to BoneSmart! Glad you joined us before your op. Lots of information in our Library for you. Have a read in the hip recovery area as well.

Please don't worry about being alone during recovery. Plenty of us were alone and were fine. They have you up and moving around on your own very quickly post op. And you will be tackling stairs before you are discharged from the hospital.

The downside of a rehab facility is that they may ask you to do excessive physiotherapy. Don't be afraid to say no. Hips don't need excessive exercise - walking is the best for them.

3. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Hi Jaycey..!!

Thanks very much for the welcome..!!

Yeah I did read about not doing too much physiotherapy. I definitely keep that it mind, thanks. I am going to hope the inpatient rehab will the best way to go though as I understand from what I've read I shouldn't be driving for a month since it is a right side THR. I'm assuming that's still true, but maybe not.

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Restrictions are now pretty surgeon specific. You should not drive when taking any of the heavier post op pain meds. And yes, you would need to have the strength in that op leg to make an emergency stop. In most cases you should not drive until released to do so by your surgeon, as if you were in an accident your insurance may not cover you.

5. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Yeah... I see what you're saying...

6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welome to the forum and thanks for joining us!
    You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here as you journey through surgery and recovery.
    Here are a couple articles you may find beneficial as your contemplating your surgery.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...visions-how-long-will-my-new-joint-last.4491/
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
    Stop back often. We'll be here. Wishing you comfort as you await the 29th.
    A great weekend to you! @JonnyNight

7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: and welcome to the forum.
    It is jarring when your Hips are not suspect in the ongoing issues, as was my case too...to find out they want to replace them!

Best thing I could've done to get my life back.
    No regrets here!:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Hi Layla and Mojo..!!

Thanks for the Welcome..!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Sounds like you've got it figured out. I went home the day after surgery, but I could have stayed if I wished, it was my choice. I had a coworker have it done with the same OS and hospital and he stayed a couple of days. Not a bad idea really, it gives you a chance to rest and make sure no small problems arise. I went to pre-op class with some that were going to post care facilities instead of going home with no one there. No matter which way you do it relax and let your body heal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Hi Eman..!!

Thanks for the comment...

I’m not sure I got it figured out, but I don’t get how you get around if you can’t drive for awhile which I thought would be the case for a Right THR...

Were you right or left and how did the driving deal work out for you..?

Don’t have Uber where I live and taxi service is sketchy...

Trying to keep it on the Upside..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Actually it's quite common in the states for hip patients to stay a few days in the hospital. Not everyone is into the "quick in and quick out" routine. I agree that a few days in the hospital will help to get your confidence up for the rest of your recovery.

It is normally about 6 weeks before you can drive. The idea is to get your home set up for that much recover time. That means having meals in the freezer and plenty of heat-and-eat options. Think ahead and you will be fine at home once you are released from rehab. If you don't have any grocery stores that deliver, can you ask a friend to drive you to run any errands you need to do? You may need to go to the pharmacy to pick up refills of pain medication.

Here is some guidance we offer for our new members who are having a hip replaced:

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Hi Jamie..!!

Thanks very much for your comments...

A lot of good things in there...

OK... So you’re going with 6 weeks... Interesting...

13. Michegon

Michegon senior

@JonnyNight Hi Bilateral Jim here! Good luck on your surgery. I was in so much pain i loved it when i woke up and i had new hip and not that awful relentless pain i had for years. I drove after 7 days (Automatic) and back to work in 30 days. The only help i had was the drive to and from the hospital. I was watching bonesmart on the sly but they taught me what i needed to do. I had the operation in july of 14 and i still smile every day about being pain free! Again good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

Hi @JonnyNight your pain story sounds very similar to mine. I had assumed I had injured my groin and was astonished when the doctor showed me the hip Xray and told me that I have arthritis and would need an operation. That never even crossed my mind. I hope all goes well for you and the recovery soon has you up and about.

15. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Hi Bateral Jim and Fairydell..!!

Thanks very much for you comments...

Hey Jim.. So 7 days.. Neat.. Coming down to an individual thing I guess...

Fairydell.. Yeah... Everything hurt but my hip..!! At first..

Seems Crazy... Right..

Upper thigh, knee really was hurting and groin. And xrays show my knee is completely good..

Now though my hip is really hurting too..

My hip started hurting actually after a massage I had while in Florida during December. This was before I knew I had avascular necrosis and thought it was still possibly sciatica related.

The massage lady started pressing on my hip area thinking maybe trigger point pressure would help. That was not good. Pretty much injured an area that has no way to recover because of lack of blood getting there.

So anyway just found a local supermarket that does deliveries and they have a pharmacy too so I guess things are working out..

Thanks All.. Talk later..!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @JonnyNight With my first hip surgery, I was probably close to 9-10 with no driving. However, due to a leg break not long before the hip fracture and a femur fracture during the hip surgery I had had weight bearing restrictions. What I do strongly suggest in when you feel ready, go somewhere safe to test yourself. My husband took me up to a nearby church parking lot (don't go on a Sunday :loll:) I practiced emergency stops and even shoulder checks to make sure I was ready.
    I also had surgeries living overseas while being a long term expat and thankfully lived in countries where household help was financially accessible. I wonder how affordable it is where you are? If you could pre-arrange someone to start coming in every 2-3 days once you get home with groceries and maybe do a bit of cooking/cleaning, you might be able to enjoy your own bed a little sooner.

17. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

Hi CarrieMay..!!

Wow... You had a little situation there..! Femur fracture during the hip surgery... Yeah that does not sound like something anyone would be looking to get..

So I assume the femur fracture occurred when the hip appliance was being placed in the bone. Would that be correct..? I guess this does happen from time to time for certain reasons.

Thanks for your ideas about driving.. Yeah church parking lot neat idea any day but Sunday for sure..LOL..!

So I did find local supermarket that deliveries and they have a pharmacy too, so that was nice..

• Like Like x 1
  18. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Oh great about the grocery delivery! Pre-op, maybe scout out the store and put some ideas from what they carry for easy to prepare meals!
    Femur fractures while placing the stem are not uncommon or so I have come to understand. Shortly after that surgery I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis so I am sure that increases the chances. They put a band around the fracture and it will likely add a restriction or two but not sure that it affects anything long term. (I suspect they are more like hairline fractures)
    Going home alone I strongly suggest tracking down a grabber to pick things up that you've dropped as bending below the waist is a fairly long term no-no. They come in handy as time goes by too (I hung all my Xmas lights along the indoor curtain rods this year without the step-stool!! LOL:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I could have driven sooner but waited until the 2 week checkup which is what the OS recommended. Mine was L hip so it wasn't as much of a factor. Being uncomfortable in a car seat was more of a factor to start with just sitting in the passengers seat.

20. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

This time frame is just an "average" recommendation so you'll be prepared in case that's what you're told. Your surgeon will determine how long he wants you to wait to drive. With a lot of people these days, they are ready to drive sooner. The key is what someone mentioned before. You must be off prescription pain medication and strong enough to apply the brakes quickly and forcefully in an emergency. If you can meet both those requirements, your surgeon should clear you to drive.