TKR Herewegoagain's Pre op thread.

@herewegoagain Voltaren is a NSAID just like ibuprofen or naproxen (Aleve). If your stomach is painful I would seriously consider not taking this medication anymore. I know it might be helping your pain but this medication can cause bleeds and ulcers. Can you call your doctor and ask for an alternative medication?

How frustrating that a medicine that was doing the trick started to give you the side effects it did. Looking it up, stomach discomfort is one of the primary side effects of Voltaren. I hope you will continue getting the relief with the further reduction, but Jaycey is right - since you know you have issues with NSAIDs, check with your doctor for an alternative. It is weird how people can react so differently to even the over-the-counter pain relief meds. Just continue to baby yourself for the next couple of weeks. I wonder if some of the pain was because you increased inflammation with all your packing up and getting things up to your summer place.

Thanks Jaycey,
I will definitely listen to my body, but today I do see a marked difference taking 2 Tylenol Arthritis in early am and only 1/2 the Voltaren with food later - so far so good.
How are you doing?

I'm doing well thanks @herewegoagain despite all this corona chaos!

Great that you seem to have your medication sorted. Be sure you are taking your medication with food as well. I took Voltaren for spinal pain for many years. It does work for some but shouldn't be taken long term.

How frustrating that a medicine that was doing the trick started to give you the side effects it did. Looking it up, stomach discomfort is one of the primary side effects of Voltaren. I hope you will continue getting the relief with the further reduction, but Jaycey is right - since you know you have issues with NSAIDs, check with your doctor for an alternative. It is weird how people can react so differently to even the over-the-counter pain relief meds. Just continue to baby yourself for the next couple of weeks. I wonder if some of the pain was because you increased inflammation with all your packing up and getting things up to your summer place.
Thanks NightQuilter,
As I just said to Jaycey, today is so far so good, but I will contact the Dr tomorrow anyway to see if a different medication might be better for my system - I know this will soon be a thing of the past (after Aug 3), and the pain will be totally different...
Thank you all for listening! This site is a godsend!!!

@herewegoagain Voltaren is a NSAID just like ibuprofen or naproxen (Aleve). If your stomach is painful I would seriously consider not taking this medication anymore. I know it might be helping your pain but this medication can cause bleeds and ulcers. Can you call your doctor and ask for an alternative medication?
I agree. I was fine taking NSAIDS (never on an empty stomach) for a long time--until I wasn't-- and got an ulcer.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement & informative advice - I just heard back from my surgeon’s PA. He told me to definitely stop the Voltaren (generic) & didn’t recommend any other script, basically said they are all about the same. Told me to continue with the Tylenol Arthritis - can take more of that, and if the Motrin doesn’t bother me I can go back to that too. Knee & leg pain is not too bad today, so will continue to baby it - ice, elevation, rest. Hope I have enough of that Voltaren built up in me to last a while - I am one day short of 4 weeks til surgery day today!!! We’ll see how it goes...
Best to all

@herewegoagain I used "Terry Naturally Curamin" as a natural pain relief. I was not sure if it was working, till, I had to stop taking it a week before surgery. The pain got worse. I started taking it again when I got home after my surgery.
Just a thought.
Good luck with your surgery!

Hi Everyone,
Haven’t been on this thread for about a week - just busy getting my summer apt set up & unpacked - pretty much done now & still waiting patiently- sometimes impatiently- until Aug 3 for my surgery day. But I have some good news - my pre op appt. is scheduled for July 22!! I am back to taking some Motrin & Tylenol Arthritis for pain relief, but must admit my cold gel pack, kept in the freezer has become my best friend!!! Every time I decide to take a break & lie down, I get that pack out of the freezer & it really helps. So far, the pain is still manageable, but I really don’t have too much energy so find myself taking lots of breaks. I have noticed my knee seems to ‘give out’ on me much more frequently, so my cane is also not far away at any given time now.
I also have my drive up COVID test scheduled at the hospital 2 days before TKA - as specified in my pre op instructions & letter.
Rick951, thanks for the tip on Terry’s Naturally Curamin - I will look into that.
Hope everyone is doing well today!

I know everything will go great on the 22nd. Real relief is on the way!

Hello All,
Well I’m almost there - this has been a little harder week, since I’ve had to stop the Motrin this week, before my surgery this coming Monday. By tomorrow evening I should know what time I need to be at the hospital on that day. And on Sat. I have my COVID test, so I’m almost on the final countdown!
If you ask me if I’m nervous, I will answer no, but subconsciously I think I am because I find myself doing some ‘dingy stuff’ this week - left my cell phone home one day when going to an appt. - NEVER do that! & have cleaned out some drawers, etc. just to keep myself occupied, looked thru old photos etc. for no reason - just things I wouldn’t normally be doing...
Really happy & blessed my best girlfriend is here with me already (flew up from FL) to stay with me throughout and help me thru the first few weeks post-op!
So all is good - just waiting...

@herewegoagain Its totally normal to feel nervous, but hundreds of these surgeries are performed daily and you will be just fine. Use the weekend to spend time with your best friend and enjoy her company.
Good luck on Monday :friends:

The wait is nearly over. It seems so normal to occupy yourself with things you don't normally attend to as a way of calming yourself. We will all be sitting here waiting for the good news as you begin your way toward a new, more comfortable, normal! :friends:

Hi Everyone,
Well this is it - Tomorrow is surgery day & I am ready - anxious, but not really nervous, although my girlfriend, who is staying with me said from the moment I came out of my bedroom this am, I didn’t stop talking!
My surgeon called me about 5pm to ask if I was ready & had anything to ask him - really reassuring!!
I will be at the hospital @ 11:15 for surgery to begin about 2pm.
So, I guess next time you hear from me will be on the POST-OP page, hopefully with good news!!!

Best wishes for tomorrow.
Looking forward to hearing from you on the Recovery side.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom