TKR Herewegoagain's Pre op thread.

herewegoagain

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone,
Just joining this forum today - my right TKA is scheduled for August 3rd.
I chose my name - herewegoagain (here we go again) because this is my 2nd knee replacement. I had to have my left knee replaced in July 2004 - almost 16 years ago, due to an injury/accident. This right one is just 'normal wear and tear' and part of the 'aging process'. I hope and pray this one will go just as well as the one almost 16 years ago and when I was that much younger too!
Looking forward to meeting others here, reading about all the good hints, getting questions answered and some moral support.
Good Luck to everyone!

Hi Pumpkin,
Thank you! I was just trying to figure out how to copy & paste my post from earlier to this forum for knees pre-op, where I think it belongs.

Hi and Welcome! You have come to a great place for information, support and camaraderie! Best wishes!

Here are some links to help you prepare for your upcoming TKR.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi and Welcome! You have come to a great place for information, support and camaraderie! Best wishes!
Thank you Jockette and all on this forum.
i remember using a website like this one - maybe the same one, from way back in 2004 for my first TKA, it was a great resource!

i have a question for others - has this happened to you before surgery? I have been pretty able to cope pain wise up til this week with Motrin and Tylenol Athritis strength, but the pain this week, especially after getting up first thing in the am, has exellerated & seems excruciating! I usually take 3 Motrin about 7-7:30 and really don’t get out of bed til about 8:30, so time for the pills to kick in. Dr told me it’s ok to take more than the recommended doses of Motrin, but don’t want to overdo it either... pain is dull ache always in knee area, but shin and up the leg to the thigh is getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this?? I have pain throughout the day, but this am pain is the worst!
Thanks for hearing me out.

You can ask you OS about using Voltaren a topical anti-inflammatory for your knee/shin/leg pain.

You can ask you OS about using Voltaren a topical anti-inflammatory for your knee/shin/leg pain.
Thanks, Pumpkin,
I have been using it for 2 weeks now - since I saw my surgeon - he didn't think too much of it, but told me to "give it a try". I find the act of rubbing it in helps a bit, but stops immediately after I stop rubbing it...

@herewegoagain Unfortunately (as you know) there is not much that can be done about pre-op pain. Baby that knee. Use a walking aid to help take the weight off that side. So sorry you have to wait until August for surgery!

@herewegoagain Unfortunately (as you know) there is not much that can be done about pre-op pain. Baby that knee. Use a walking aid to help take the weight off that side. So sorry you have to wait until August for surgery!
Thanks Jaycey,
Yes, I know... I will try using the cane more often. I am having my TKA in the Boston, MA area (my summer home), so I was really pleased that the surgery is scheduled for Aug. 3, because Boston and all of MA was one of the areas where the hospitals were really busy with Covid - 19, so with the backlog of patients needing scheduled surgeries, I was happy with that date!

What do you think of Celebrex?
I remember using it both pre & post surgery back in the dark ages (2004) for my left knee. Right now 3 Motrin 3 times daily is barely helping, with Tylenol Arthritis in between. I think I need to ask my surgeon, but wanted to get opinions here from any more recent users.
Thanks.

I use Celebrex for ankle arthritis, seems to work well.
I do not remember it giving my knee much relief once the arthritis became severe prior to my TKR.
You can try it, but no guarantees.

Thanks, Pumpkin. Think I will email his office & ask - I still have 2 months to go....

Hi All,
Well yesterday afternoon I did email my Dr re: pain medication & his PA called me back this am - he prescribed Voltaren pills, 2 a day, 1 in am, 1 in pm w/ food & no other oral ibuprofen, but can still take Tylenol Arthritis if needed. A friend is picking it up & will bring it to me later. Anyone used this before - with any info, hints, warnings etc.
Of course this am I woke up & wasn’t in as much pain as yesterday - so sometimes I think I must be crazy, because I usually have a fairly good tolerance for pain, but yesterday my leg was agony all day except when it was elevated and had ice on it.
Thanks for listening!

Hi Everyone, This website is great! I love reading the post-op posts to remind me what I’m in for...

An update though - I’ve been taking generic prescription for Voltaren tablets, 75mg, twice daily since Friday evening.
On Saturday I flew back to FL for a few weeks at my condo to pack up my car get ready to send car & ‘stuff’ up to MA to my summer place where I will have surgery & recuperate on Aug 3. The pills seemed to be working great til this am- today more pain ,but tolerable. I have only taken 2 Tylenol Arthritis on Sat in addition to the 2 Voltaren pills. Yesterday was good, but I ‘babied’ it all day. Today I think I will need 2 Tylenol before I’m due for the 2nd pill of the day. I just hate all the pills, but know I need them, so...
I am generally a very positive person, but this pain is doing a job on my attitude!

Voltaren (Diclofenac) works for some and the combination of it with Tylenol is a good one. It should not be used long term as with any NSAID. This was the only pain medication I used post both THRs. Be sure and take it with something in your stomach. Here is some information on pain medications from our Pain Management forum (top blue bar). Scroll about half way down the page for information on NSAIDs.

Thank you, Jaycee. I will read that. I know I need medication & will definitely need it after surgery too, but I just don’t like taking too much...

will definitely need it after surgery too, but I just don’t like taking too much...
Most of us feel the same. But medication has a purpose - to keep you mobile. Just remember, this is all temporary. Once you have your TKR and get past the early days you won't even think about medication anymore. For now, you need it to stay comfortable.

@herewegoagain - just checking in to see how you are managing the pain or if the prescriptions are doing well.
Good question - I was taking the 2 daily Voltaren pills daily (generic)75 mg each, as prescribed for almost 3 weeks, and along with ‘babying’ - ice, elevation & only minimal Tylenol Arthritis, I was doing ok until I started having stomach issues, not nausea really, but a very uncomfortable stomach achy feeling. I contacted my Dr- told to cut back to 1daily & increase the Tylenol. I have tried that until yesterday, but that awful stomach ache has not gone away. So - today I cut the one pill in half and took it with breakfast & will take the other half tonight - so far, today my stomach is ok. I hope this works!!

I am funny with ibuprofen & nsaids - Aleve & Advil have always upset my stomach, yet Motrin doesn’t???
I hope I can continue with this combo of 1/2 Voltaren am & pm w/ meals & some TylenolArthritis in between until a week before Aug 3, when I must stop the Voltaren. If I get the stomach pain back I will not hesitate to contact Dr again.
Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for listening!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks