Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR Herewegoagain on the other side

herewegoagain

Country
United States United States
Day 1 post-op. Hope all is going well @herewegoagain ! You have a team here cheering you on in recovery! :dancy: :yes!: :yay::egypdance:
Hi Everyone,
So sorry I have been so lax in checking in from ‘the other side’.
Surgery went well, thank goodness & I have been home since Wed. afternoon‼
I was supposed to have a spinal for anasthesia, but was told I woke up at the very beginning, so they then gave me general anasthesia. I do not remember waking up, or anything, thank God!!!

I was told that my surgeon saw me in the recovery room after, before they brought me to my room - again, no memory of that either. I just remember waking up in recovery & about 10 min. later, they wheeled me upstairs to my regular hospital room. That was approx. 6:30pm - surgery itself lasted approx. 2hrs.

My first night went well - with nurse & CNA’s help, they got me out of bed and walked me to the commode, pretty close to the bed, twice- once in middle of night & once very early the next am. They also put a knee immobilizer brace on me those 2 times, but no more after that.

Day 1 post-op, PT got me up, walked to bathroom, walked in the hallway outside my room & back to bed. Did some bed exercises that day as instructed - fairly easy ones, ankle pumps, etc. I was allowed one visitor that day for 2 hr max. visiting time. My FL friend, who is staying with me, came & we had lunch together. Rest of day was ok - busy, busy with various people coming & going & setting things up for sending me home the following day - Wednesday.

Pain was/is controlled - I am on Hydomorphone 2mg tabs that I can take 1-2 every 4 hrs as needed & 4 Tylenol Arthritis strength each day - one every 6 hrs. So far I have cut down on the Hydromorphone from what I was taking in hospital & in hospital they were giving me those pills every 3 hours, not 4. Goal is to be off the Hydromorphone in 2 weeks.
I have also been prescribed Meloxicam - one tablet daily, which is supposed to be a time-released NSAID. All agreeing with me so far.

I have only had one episode of feeling very awful on the evening of 2nd night in hospital. For about 2-3 hours, I felt like I was so hot from the inside out, not sweaty hot, just burning up hot! My actual temp. was 98.1, so I obviously wasn’t burning up, & all other vitals were fine. Temp. in my hospital room was 64 & I asked them to make it colder!!! Crazy! During that time, they gave me my dosage of Hydromorphone through the IV port instead of orally & things came back to normal shortly after that.

So... I think I am doing better than even I had anticipated, worst complaint is not being able to sit too long, stand too long, walk too long, ice too long, sleep or lie in same position too long, etc. without extreme stiffness when changing positions - and considering everything that I have heard & read about on here re: complications etc., I have nothing to complain about - just hoping & praying it all continues to go as smoothly as these last few days! Some minor issue with constipation, but already see a slight improvement there too.

Hope everyone else is doing well & I will try to be better about checking in & updating my progress.
Thanks for listening to this very long post!!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@herewegoagain Welcome to the other side. You will notice I moved your post to a recovery thread of your own in the recovery forum. Please keep all your questions and updates here so that we have all your history in one place in case we need to advise you.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
H

herewegoagain

Country
Thank you for moving my thread to the post- surgery - recovery side.
Have I mentioned how happy I am to finally be on this side!!!
I know I have a long way to go, but I also know it’s one day at a time & I’ve got the rest of my life to get there!!!
Have a great day everyone.

NightQuilter

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The first few days sound wonderful, considering the other options. I hope that continues. That stiffness arising when you've done anything for "too" long is frustrating, but it will improve over the next few days and weeks. Thank you for the thorough update!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your shiny new knee. We do get stiff in the different positions and sometimes no position is really comfortable but this passes as we adjust and our knee heals.

Mrs. Ciz

Country
My first night went well - with nurse & CNA’s help, they got me out of bed and walked me to the commode, pretty close to the bed, twice- once in middle of night & once very early the next am. They also put a knee immobilizer brace on me those 2 times, but no more after that.
I am so jealous you only had to go to the toilet 2 times your first night post op. I had 4 huge iv bags of fluids and 3 smaller iv bags of antibiotics that first night. I had to get up and pee 6 (SIX!!!) times that first night. I was miserable. The second night was better.

I’ll be 5 weeks post op for bilateral TKR on Monday. I still feel like this: worst complaint is not being able to sit too long, stand too long, walk too long, ice too long, sleep or lie in same position too long, etc. without extreme stiffness when changing positions. That is the story of my life right now!

Happy healing!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

herewegoagain

Country
Hi All,
Well it’s been one week (almost to the minute) since I awoke in the recovery room after my surgery - cannot believe it!
Today was a busy one, had a home visit from O/T, then P/T and finally visiting nurse came for INR blood test, to determine my blood thinner dosage for next 3 days. All seems to be going well, so far. P/T seemed pleased with my progress and I really like the young woman assigned to me. It was my 2nd session with her and even tho she was pleased with my progress, I really felt I got a lot more out of today’s session- she explained clearly and showed me how to do each exercise. I know you don’t have to be a rocket scientist - LOL - to follow these exercises, but I really feel that today I am doing them all in a manner better for my progress.
I was exhausted when they all left, but a ‘good’ tired.
Sleep is still a bit of an issue - but getting slightly better. Last night I seemed to wake up every 2 hours, instead of every hour. Just need to change positions, walk few steps to the bathroom, get my ice gel paks, put them back in freezer, etc
I think I am doing ok with meds - was taking 2 Hydromorphone every 3 hours in hospital, over weekend was able to take 1 every 4 hours, and today have only taken 2 pills so far, another due after dinner & will definitely take before doing my last set of exercises for today. So today they have been spaced 4and 1/2 hrs to 5 hrs apart & pain level at highest today was about 5. Of course still taking 4 Tylenol Arthritis every 6 hrs and 1 Meloxicam a day.
I just hope I continue this way!!
Best wishes to everyone - that’s it for now.

doodlebug60

Country
herewegoagain
hi and welcome. just a couple of suggestions to throw your way; first don't worry about the stiffness; that's because of the swelling. That will get better as the swelling goes down. The first 2-3 weeks are the worst. second; don't let any PT therapist do any thing that brings pain to you. discomfort is where you want to work to but not pain. light stretches but not strength training. This is not an athletic injury that needs reconditioning; this is major surgery that needs healing. You get that from rest,ice,and elevation. and a little walking around to keep the knee loose. I am almost 2 weeks out from my 2nd tkr and I am doing great except for the tightness from the swelling due to the staples being in and the knee healing. I get my staples out Wednesday. (yay). One last thing; get on a regular schedule for taking your pain meds. Don't wait until the pain comes. They work a lot better on a regular schedule. Prayers for a great recovery; Doodlebug

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think I am doing ok with meds - was taking 2 Hydromorphone every 3 hours in hospital, over weekend was able to take 1 every 4 hours, and today have only taken 2 pills so far, another due after dinner & will definitely take before doing my last set of exercises for today. So today they have been spaced 4and 1/2 hrs to 5 hrs apart & pain level at highest today was about 5. Of course still taking 4 Tylenol Arthritis every 6 hrs and 1 Meloxicam a day.
@herewegoagain - If what you wrote is correct (the words about Tylenol Arthritis that I have put into red, bold font in the quotation) I am really concerned about the amount of Tylenol you're taking.

I truly hope it was a typo.

Tylenol Arthritis is an extended release capsule or tablet that should be taken 8-hourly, not 6-hourly.
The correct dose each time should be 2 tablets of 650 mg, not 4 tablets of 650 mg.

If what you wrote is correct, you are seriously overdosing on Tylenol, which is a great risk for your liver.
You are taking 10,400 mg of Tylenol in 24 hours, when the maximum safe dose is 4,000 mg.

If that's what you really are taking, you need to stop taking Tylenol immediately and see your own doctor urgently.

If you made a mistake in what you wrote, please let us know what dose of Tylenol you are really taking.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Pain was/is controlled - I am on Hydomorphone 2mg tabs that I can take 1-2 every 4 hrs as needed & 4 Tylenol Arthritis strength each day - one every 6 hrs. So far I have cut down on the Hydromorphone from what I was taking in hospital & in hospital they were giving me those pills every 3 hours, not 4. Goal is to be off the Hydromorphone in 2 weeks.
In the first post, you indicated you were taking 4 of the slow release Tylenol in a day, not 4 at a time, so I'm betting this is just a typo. But please do clarify for us.

OP
OP
H

herewegoagain

Country
Celle & Jamie,
Sorry to scare you like that - No - the total amount or Tylenol Arthritis caplets I am taking in a 24 Hr period is 4 caplets - one 650 mg caplet every 6 hours. I didn’t word that correctly in the last post - please excuse me!!

doodlebug60

Country
herewegoagain; just checking in on you. hope you're doing good. just remember that this is going to be a long recovery process. please be patient and try not to rush to get Rom; and do not allow PT to push or pull on your knee. Remember; rest,ice,and elevation along with ADL's are all you need at this time. Please allow your knee time to recover from the surgery. I get my staples out tomorrow I hope at my 2wk. follow up. Prayers for a great recovery; Doodlebug

OP
OP
H

herewegoagain

Country
I am so jealous you only had to go to the toilet 2 times your first night post op. I had 4 huge iv bags of fluids and 3 smaller iv bags of antibiotics that first night. I had to get up and pee 6 (SIX!!!) times that first night. I was miserable. The second night was better.

I’ll be 5 weeks post op for bilateral TKR on Monday. I still feel like this: worst complaint is not being able to sit too long, stand too long, walk too long, ice too long, sleep or lie in same position too long, etc. without extreme stiffness when changing positions. That is the story of my life right now!

Happy healing!!!!
Mrs Ciz
Congratulations on 5 weeks post op for Bilateral TKR - very brave of you!!!

sistersinhim

Country
@herewegoagain, it looks like you're having a problem quoting.

You can quote a sentence or a section of a post by simply highlighting it and clicking on the "Quote Me" link that appears in gray at the end of the highlighted selection. This is frequently a better choice than quoting a whole post. You can use this feature in several different posts by a member if you want to respond to things in multiple posts. When you go to the dialogue box you will see "Get Quotes " and in parenthesis the number of quotes. Click on that when you want a quote inserted into your post.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@herewegoagain
I fixed your post so that the quoted material shows correct. Somehow the coding connected with the quote was not recorded properly.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good to hear you're finding the PT useful and she isn't pushing you too hard. A good PT can be very helpful--for morale and to help your particular recovery. Just keep listening to the knee.

OP
OP
H

herewegoagain

Country
Hello everyone,
Thank you to all for your encouragement and advice!
I have been reading the Recovery thread, catching up today & after reading it, feel as though I am actually having a very good recovery so far!! Hang in there everyone of you & wishing you all the best!!

My PT has been going well, she comes twice a week and I find her very good - I really lucked out! She is not one to force & tells me if something hurts, don’t do it! I am doing the exercises on my own the days she isn’t here, and feel as though I am getting slightly better each day. My pain is controlled and I have even been able to cut down on the Hydromorphone. The Dr wanted me to be off that by approx. Aug 20, and I think I will be. I do not begrudge myself meds, but between that Hydromorphone, the 1 daily Meloxicam 15 mg and 4 total Tylenol Arthritis strength daily, I am managing.

My energy level is not great - just doing minor things around my apt & washing/drying my hair can wipe me out for awhile, but then I lie down with ice packs for awhile & can get up & go a little bit more again.

Sleep continues to be an issue - as others have said, the nights can be very long! I can only lie on my back for about 2 hours at most, I have tried to go on my side w/ pillow between knees for sleeping, but still that is just too uncomfortable. So, I sleep a bit, walk to the bathroom a lot, sit & massage my sides of knee & leg a bit & then try to sleep a bit more. I know once I am able to side sleep again, it will get much better!

Tomorrow is just 2 weeks post-op, so feel I am doing really well - just hope it continues!!

Once again, hang in there everyone! I’ve been telling everyone I have the rest of my life to get through this & know it’s going to get better!
Bye for now.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ant69
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom