THR Here we go again

hopnfox

Country
United States United States
I'm headed for surgery Monday Jan 30 for my 2nd hip to become bionic. Hope it goes as smoothly as my last one 2.5 yrs. ago. I was hoping the right one would behave and not give me any issues, but alas, here we are. This forum has helped me in the past, so I'm hoping it will get me through this one too.

Welcome back to BoneSmart @hopnfox Since you have been through hip replacement before I'll leave you with our post op suggestions and articles ... just as a refresher. Best of everything for you with this upcoming surgery!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome back hopnfox. Thanks for joining us again!
I wish you all the best on Monday and hope you'll join us on the recovery side once you're feeling up to it. Hope to see you soon! :wave:
@hopnfox

:wave: @hopnfox
Good to see you back...sorry rightie wouldn't behave but my two bionic hips (six years out) have me feeling 20 years younger.
Still a Grateful Double Hippy.:chuckmarch:
We will be rooting for you.

Woohoo! congrats on surgery tomorrow! can't wait to hear your riding stories! I was cleared 3 months after my surgery in February. Excited for you to get better and go back to a better normal than you have had this far. Super excited for you!

Hey, @hopnfox, I remember you from last time around! I had my first hip done a month before you in 2020 and the second done this past September. Good luck Monday!

Thank you!! Do you ever get a pinch feeling in your new hip?

Well, I'm on the other side now, and glad to be on the healing side. All went well, and I'm doing better this go round than the first. Already off pain meds except for Tylenol, and got upstairs to bed on night 3. I'm icing all day, and actually sleeping well at night with a pillow between my knees. I've got the glute muscle spasms at odd times, but not too bad.
Thanks for all the well wishes!

I’m just a couple days behind you. Such a relief to be done with all the build up. Now just trying to take it easy as there is nothing to do but wait and heal with slow build up of exercise. I’m 48 hours out and happy to be on the other side. Best of luck!

@hopnfox :wave:
Good to see you are all done and healing and this initial part of recovery is smoother than #1.

I can start you a new recovery thread if you need me too... Just let me know what thread title you prefer.
Healing Hugs XXX

Excellent news! make sure you don't overdo it recovering my friend. It's easy to forget when you are already doing so well. Congrats!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How is the new knee treating you these days? Let us know,
Wishing you all the best!
@hopnfox

I'm doing great! I got to ride my new ebike this weekend and NO PAIN!! I pedaled to get the hip moving, and we rode 9 miles! I was tired and had restless legs that night, but my hip didn't hurt!! So glad to be back among the moving easily!
Thanks Bonesmart folks for once again helping me get through the tough stuff! You are all amazing.

Great update @hopnfox ! Glad you are back to active living again!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks