TKR Here we go again

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
I’m having a left TKR in January after having my right one done in 2016.
I’m scared, I didn’t do very well psychologically last time and my pain was poorly controlled.
Having said that my right knee is all good now.
I’m hoping the support on here will help this time round.

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi and Welcome!

Hang out here with us, Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi @Kneely and welcome to BoneSmart! I'm so glad you found us.

I think being scared is a perfectly normal reaction to have any big surgery. I was so anxious the night before my operation that I almost cancelled. My husband had to force me to get in the car the next morning (which I'm so glad he did!)

Since you've been through this before, you have a good idea of what to expect and what you might want to do differently the second time around. We have good information here on the forum about the two concerns you mention.

So, in addition to the great articles that @Jockette shared with you, you might these links helpful.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart.
Ice to control pain and swelling

Sending hugs! :console2:

OP
OP
K

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
Hi benne68,
Some really useful links, thank you.
It helps when the person on the other end of the advice has been there done that.
I think I’m going to be on here everyday before the “event”

possum_here

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Welcome. I am just over 6 wks PO with my second TKR, and 9 yrs PO to the first.
You have taken the right course by joining this group. The information is invaluable and wonderful support by admin and members.

I already had OA in my left knee and should have already had my TKR in the last 9yrs. I was injured and had 3 fractures with further damage to the knee it self. So I seen a Orthopaedic surgeon and knowing I had passed the stage of tolerating the pain, we scheduled my TKR.

As you already have gone through a TKR you have an understanding what you are going to endure and also understand there is no easy way but to go through the many stages of recovery.

There are no short cuts and listening to our own bodies is the best way to self nurture and have a successful outcome.

Read all the links which have been shared with you and if you follow the Bonesmart principals you will be ok.

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
Welcome to the 2nd knee club, my left knee was replaced in 2019 and my right last December 2021, its totally normal to feel anxious prior to any surgeries, especially knowing, " the after of having a knee replacement" however this time round you can prepare better, knowing what does and does not work & what you need ( based on what you used last time.)
No two knees are alike, each heal differently, try not to compare, don't be worried if your new
one isn't at the same stage as the other one, take it from me, they each heal at their own pace, once I started to ignore my previous notes my anxiety lessened. I'm now beginning my 10th month post surgery and my knee is not quite at the stage my other one was, maybe more work was carried out as both knees were bad in 2019 and also the right knee now has to reply on the left knee, confidence to trust is also an important part of recovery, my left knee is strong but my brain still hasn't realised this.
But in all honesty it was the best choice I made and I'm positive that at the 2 year stage my right will be just as perfect as my left xx

OP
OP
K

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you so much everyone, just knowing you guys have my back means the world!

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Kneely We were all in the scared place pre-op. I was more nervous about my second THR than the first. Not sure why as recovery the second time around was much easier.

Keep coming here and posting. It does help ease the nerves.

OP
OP
K

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
I’m going to try and lose some weight and do some quadriceps training, I’m thinking that will help post op, or maybe even avoid the need for the TKR.

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
If your X-rays & Scans show that Bone is on Bone then a replacement is the way forward, cortisone injection and hydro gel only work for a limited time.
Losing weight will benefit you both before & after as you will not have so much pressure on your knees, just go easy on your exercises, swimming I would recommend as it is weight resistant and easy on our joints.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am afraid exercise will not eliminate the need for TKR. Arthritis in the joint causes major damage. Losing weight and building strength may help you get your mobility back post-op.

OP
OP
K

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
I am bone on bone and the night pain is awful but I just keep thinking if I lose 10kg then it all might magically clear up!
I know I know not the way it works.

Whoodee

Country
I am bone on bone and my surgery isn’t until October 19. I am in such pain with it that sometimes I feel like I just can’t go on living. I know I will have pain after the surgery but I hope and pray it’s nothing like this pain I’m experiencing.

OP
OP
K

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
Hang in there Whoodee!
Have you told your doc how you are feeling?

There WILL be something he/she can do to help!
I personally find a heat pack is very soothing and I have meds if it all gets too much.

Post op won’t be a picnic, but again there are things you can do.

Look at the the links on here I can guarantee you they will help. Just talking about to people who’ve been there done that is such a relief.

Whoodee

Country
Thank you for your support. No, I haven’t told my doctor yet. I have my pre op appointment next Tuesday. I will use the heating pad. It is good to know what has helped others. Thanks again.

TasNettie

Country
Australia Australia
I had my LKR about 3 years ago and now my right is playing up big time, had X-rays and will probably get referral to my surgeon. I have the same trepidation as you Kneely and also was under the impression that if I lose weight it will somehow heal. just letting you know that I’m following your journey and know all will go well. This forum helped me so much with my first one

OP
OP
K

Kneely

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you TasNettie,
I know the extra weight I’m carrying is doing me no good at all, but I realise that being bone on bone means surgery, I just hate the thought of it.
I don’t know about you but I’m not very patient.
Hopefully you get good news from your doc and won’t need a 2nd TKR .
It’s wonderful to have kind helpful people, like you TasNettie, to vent to. Thank you

SJW

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Kneely. I feel the same way you do. My RTKR was done in October 2019 and I am scheduled for the LTKR on November 29. My right knee was not a good experience - emotionally and physically. I was anticipating 3 months off work and ended up taking 4-1/2. I am really nervous about it but hope it will go better as I know more of what to expect. I am certainly going to be on Bonesmart for support.

MariaB

Country
I’m curious if you’re having the same Dr do this one? Thinking about your pain control. I’ve heard of people having very little pain meds prescribed for them - but my dr had me totally covered! Even had me taking lyrica a couple of weeks beforehand to calm the nerve endings (I believe that was what that was for). Anyway, drs are all different in their protocols. I hope this time it goes wonderful for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member