Here we go again!

Kazilla

senior
Country
United States United States
So, I am having my ritual 6-month shots to my unreplaced knee. But this year I am having more pain in that one. They did a comparative x-ray this time to see against 3 years ago. Well, the gap hasn't closed anymore, but the OA has progressed on the inside side of the knee and now has caused a bone spur. So, somewhere down the line, I will need this one replaced as well. :gaah:

Teaching in a school with 'tile' is basically walking around on concrete floors for 8 hours a day. So I know that isn't helping matters either. The spur seems unaffected by the gel injections or Motrin. I have the last injection in this semi-annual series this afternoon. I am going to see what my other options are. This knee has never had surgery, and prior to the TKR on the other, took the brunt for 8 months while I was on crutches for the majority of that school year. (I needed to wait until summer break to take the time off to do that surgery). That plus the recovery really took a toll on the "good" knee.

I am noticing that I am starting to plan my errands and stuff out a bit more. It started subconsciously and now I find myself doing it almost all the time. My body seems to be screaming at me and I wasn't paying it enough attention until recently. So, first I am going to speak with the doc today. Then, this weekend, I am going to go and get a really good pair of sneakers. I may want to stick with New Balance since they have always been good for me, but I m open to any suggestions from you all.

Hi @Kazilla ,

I'm sorry your left knee is now giving you more problems.

I'm going to move this thread to the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area, because it's been a while since your first knee replacement and now you're anticipating having your other knee replaced.

I think those standing jobs are really hard on knees. Doesn't it seem like most of the tkrs we hear about are in people who either were athletic in their youths or had standing jobs? :wink:
I like your idea of getting good supportive shoes and checking out your options with your doctor as far as getting through the school year as you plan for potential tkr next summer. I like New Balance for sneakers & have had good luck with some other brands for casual "tie" shoes. Not pretty but supportive for standing.

There is a theory that sometimes orthotics can take some pressure off certain compartments of the knee. If your insurance covers orthotic evaluation/orthotics that might be something to think about.
Some sort of supportive knee brace/sleeve might help.

I have a NB store near me. Heading there today. The doc put me on meloxicam right now. Hoping I can tolerate it. Definitely cheaper than Motrin.

I've done the knee sleeve before, so I can try that. I'd have to look into the orthodics.

I'm hoping that the worst for next summer may be to remove the spur. That would give some relief. It's not bad enough for tkr at this point.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft