THR Here We Go Again!

@Barbaraj I'm so sorry to read about your bump in the road. :console2:
Glad your hubby will soon be home, seems we can't live with them or without them.. hahaha
I tell my honey that all of the time.

Did you try going back on an NSAID for a week or two? That's what My surgeon had me do and it really helped take the edge off any setbacks. He seemed to really like Meloxicam - the generic name-- maybe ask your OS office? I seem to recall that you like to avoid medications, though.
I still ice, though not frequently now for the past 2 weeks. I figure it's a good thing to do after exercise or working. Ice is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Keep your chin up! This too, shall pass.

@Barbaraj even reading your activities exhausts me! I'd have definitely missed the P.E. And the book group! What are you like?! Ballet chauffeuring obligatory but presumably mostly sitting down? And the ladies' night allowed on the grounds of fun!
Check with your medic 're Meloxicam - don't think it's prescribed in the UK any more but there are other safer ones.

do--PT in the morning, book group in early afternoon, ballet chauffeuring in late afternoon and then a ladies' dinner and game night at the home of a neighbor friend. I didn't get home until after 10:00 and was feeling sore and stiff
No wonder! I'm exhausted just reading about all of this! :scary: Maybe tomorrow, just a teeny tiny bit more chilling would soothe those sore bits and pieces? :what:

@Barbaraj If you do try the patch, I find paper, and some times cloth medical tape helps it not to roll with movement depending on where you place it. Actually, I want it to be as flat as possible so I get the most benefit I can for the pain. Then I try to do a few deeper breaths to try to relax while the fragrance is still strong, with the menthol camphor type, like a yoga mind cleanse. Then try to switch my focus to something else and hope the annoying issue, fades with a task or two, so it’s not a front and center pain.
You did have a very busy day, and evening!

Sunday morning, cold but sunny here in the PNW. Feeling "ehhh…" this morning, with a slight headache (note to self: drink more water today) and aching left thigh, butt and knee. I really am trying to ratchet back on exercise and not overdo it, but I have to do something or I'll go nuts. I am icing during the day, and trying to take a dose of extra-strength Tylenol if things get too bad, and I've cut out several of the PT exercises which I think are too much for me right now. Giant step back in so many ways for me, but I just need to wrap my head around this and be patient and know this is just temporary. It's lovely having my husband back home, as he was gone last week until Friday night, and we made dinner together last night rather than going out for a meal. After eating in restaurants all week, he was ready for something homemade. It wasn't fancy, but hit the spot: meatloaf, Brussel sprouts and baby potatoes. Will slowly do some of the PT exercises today, as it does help to stretch out, but will skip the gym probably. I am feeling pretty stiff and sore, but mornings are always the worst time of day for me. Hoping I'll feel better by the afternoon after I've been up and moving about morning. Happy Sunday!

And a happy Sunday to you too! Just be careful with those exercises! I did some lengths of the pool sideways stepping as physio recommended this but my back is out of whack today and I could hardly move. Haven’t done that for a while so back on difonac sodium and gentle walking and much better. Guess which exercise I will drop for now?! Meatloaf sounds great and nice to have your hubby back. I would have taken up all the bed space had I been on my own :)

I am icing during the day, and trying to take a dose of extra-strength Tylenol if things get too bad,
Sorry to hear you're hurting. I know it's hard to go back to taking meds but I wonder if taking the tyelnol consistently for a few days would help? I find that I tense up against pain, which then makes it worse and taking something like tylenol regularly interrupts that cycle.

I wish I was motivated to drive to the pool!
Today everything hurts mostly my neck
It's pouring rain and 35 degrees
Doesnt help that we are so far east and in the wrong time zone that dark is at five pm
Never got light today.
Its actually too dark to dust or clean or knit now!

@Barbaraj sorry you're feeling ehh, had one of those kind of mornings myself. A couple Tylenol, chilled on the couch with a blanket for a bit then got up and moved around a little. I know you feel like you've taken a step back, try to look at it more like your body just saying slow up a bit.

Meatloaf is always a welcome meal at my house, hubby loves it. Hopefully you'll start feeling a little better as the day progresses and that skipping the gym for today makes for a better start tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

@Barbaraj If I ask my husband what he wants me to make for his birthday he always says meatloaf. I basically use my mothers recipe but of course no measuring. And you’ve inspired me to make Brussel sprouts tonight. I LOVE them. I have to decide between roasting with Parmesan cheese or in a coating of a light bit of maple syrup.

I hope you feel better soon and this slight time off is helpful. I’m sure I overdid it a bit over the last few days in Montréal but I’m expecting to feel stronger and better after I’ve rested for a day or two. What works for me is to push it slightly, then rest, repeat.... It’s always been that way, not just during this recovery.

I have to admit I don’t like Tylenol and I don’t think it helps me. But a couple of Advil in the morning just relaxes everything. Not everyday but on occasion.

Hoping you’re enjoying today and feeling better tomorrow.

Sometimes our new hips just aren't ready for what we think they are and they let us know. :groan: I know you are a diligent exerciser, but remember I recently had to take a week off my Pilates rehab session because I overdid it one week? Yeah it happens - even at 4 or 5 (and probably more) months along. I did a big bout of gardening today and I'm feeling it tonight for sure! Hit the hot tub this afternoon but still achey and limping lots more tonight. So it's early to bed and taking it easy tomorrow. I'm thankful my instructor has a week off for her kids school break so I get a week off Pilates also this week. You will continue to improve as long as you listen to your body. :ok:. This is a long haul for sure.

I would have taken up all the bed space had I been on my own :)
Ha, ha, @SurreyGirl. I always say when my husband isn't here any night that I fully intend to take over the entire bed, thrashing every which way with total abandon. And every time I stick to sleeping at the edge of the bed and not even moving over to "his" side so it's still tucked in when morning arrives. Old habits die hard!

taking something like tylenol regularly interrupts that cycle.
Hi,@gertie, I agree with you that being consistent might help, but I confess that the pain isn't consistent--worse in the morning which is when I generally take the Tylenol (cursing as I throw back those pills) but then things ease up as the day goes by. But, never fear, if the pain were to get worse I would definitely consider taking more. Thanks for checking in!

It's pouring rain and 35 degrees
Ugh, @mainegirl1, on a day like you're describing it's a major accomplishment just to drag ourselves out of bed! No way would I want to drive anywhere, no matter how virtuous going to a pool might sound. I think hunkering down--fireplace definitely would get some use--and doing basically nothing would be my course of action. Sorry you're hurting, and is the neck pain something new? I generally get a "neck ache" when I've either slept funny or been bending my head too far down for a long period of time (one of the many reasons I don't do any handwork anymore, in addition to my eyesight not being great for close up work). Hope you are feeling better today!

Thanks for the good wishes, @Elf1 I think (she said to herself positively) I am feeling a bit better this morning and that maybe my good behavior is paying off. Still a bit stiff and achy, especially in my left knee, but not the sort of "ouch--oh, that hurts" pain I was having at the end of last week.

I have to admit I don’t like Tylenol and I don’t think it helps me.
It's funny, @ceezee, but before hip surgery I had no use for Tylenol either. I would occasionally take aspirin or even an Aleve but I always felt Tylenol was kind of a "wimpy", do nothing medication. Since hip surgeries, however, I have more appreciation for it and I do find it helps ease discomfort. But, I agree, if there is something that works better, go for it! And I am not a big Brussel sprouts fan (although my husband adores them). I will have to try roasting them maybe--usually I just steam 'em and then add butter and salt and pepper. The idea of roasting them with a bit of parmesan sounds good. I don't hate Brussel sprouts but I don't "feel the love" exactly and would far prefer broccoli or green beans.

You will continue to improve as long as you listen to your body.
You are just so darn sensible, @Calgal I know you're right but a lot of the time I just argue with my body, feeling like it's just not pulling its weight and being cranky for no good reason. But, when the aching and pain doesn't ebb from the "pep talk" I have given, I do try to pull back a bit. I know this is just a temporary setback and I really am in this for the long haul. And my Pilates classes start this week! I will be sensible and not do anything that will stress out these crabby, aging muscles. But it always feels good to stretch and push it a little bit. The key is finding the right balance, something I suspect we all struggle with from time to time.

I am feeling pretty good this morning, still the residual knee pain and aching on my left inner thigh, but not as bad as last week. And it's been a busy day so far. My son had three of his wisdom teeth removed this morning and it was "mom to the rescue" as they changed the appointment time and his original ride wasn't able to meet the new schedule so I stepped in. Poor baby--he threw up on the way home (thank goodness I keep barf bags in the car!) and then when we got home. But I've settled him into bed and he's sleeping now. I've been tiptoeing around, hoping he'll get in a good long sleep before waking up, his jaw aching and groaning with the need for some medication. So, still haven't done my PT exercises yet but maybe later today.

If you really want the best Brussel sprouts this is my favorite recipe. Brussel sprouts (very small ones or cut in half or quarters) and the same amount of roasted chestnuts, diced carrots, diced shallots, cut up pancetta (or thick bacon if you can find pancetta). Sauté the pancetta in a bit of olive oil, add the rest and saute until the sprouts are done.

Its one of the dishes I make for the Thanksgiving dinner that no one will let me drop. My nephews have been eating it since they were young in grade school. My sister in law was astounded when they scarfed it up the first time.

Sigh....I have loved following your journey Barbara, because you remind me of myself as far as needing/wanting to be able to get back to how things were "before", and do the Pilates, go for the walk, everything.
I'm still on the "other side" (pre-surgery) and it seems so hard to contemplate going through all of it when you great people are still having so many of the aches and pains, limping and everything that the surgery is supposed to take care of!
I'm hoping you're feeling better today and able to do all of your things.....

@Barbaraj not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to answer @Funnypug.

The waiting is really one of the toughest parts of the surgery. There's nothing that really helps the pain, you're just miserable and anxious thinking about the surgery. It does get better, so much better! The post op aches, zips, nips, etc are only temporary and can be helped with ice, elevation, rest and meds. :console2:

@Funnypug the pain pre op was searing snd limiting our activities. Now we are doing those activities and our soreness is because we are using new muscles or reactivating muscles that have been idle for some time.
It is not the same pain and post op as we start training as Barbaraj is doing soreness is to be expected.

Limping can happen when you over train newly engaged muscles. Its easily fixed by backing off the next day as athletes often do.
@ceezee and I are foodies and I do as she does with Brussels sprouts. So good les petit choux But i dislike chestnuts so out with them!

Not trying to sell you Brussels sprouts too much ......@Barbaraj

Well, I too want to echo others' comments, @Funnypug, and that is to offer my assurances that while nobody ever "loved" the process of hip replacement surgery and recovery, which can be pretty miserable at times, for so many it's going to be a vast improvement over their constrained and painful lives before surgery. Those hips, if they are worn out, are NEVER going to get better while with hip surgical recovery, as unpleasant and discouraging as it can feel at times, you ARE going to get better and be able to get back to a more active, full and satisfying life. Even with all my recent grousing about my aches and pains, I know this is just temporary and I will, with time and continued focus on not overdoing it (my besetting sin, clearly), continue to improve and move on. It's never a breeze, and certainly way longer than we'd all like, but keep reading posts over time and you'll realize that full recovery is possible and happens for the vast majority of us. Keep your chin up, you'll do fine and will be in a position next year some time to be offering the same advice to others--that hip replacement IS worth it and life goes happily on at least as far as hips are concerned.

I have my first Pilates class today at 11:00. I will be going to the back of the class to put my mat down, and will try to keep repeating my mantra of "take it easy". I am not competitive really, but one does feel a wee bit of pressure to keep up and I need to firmly resist that. I will try the various exercises but pull back immediately if any twinges. And even for ones which don't seem hard to do, I will make sure I don't overdo it and stop after a few repetitions. Inner thigh and knee on the left (operated) side are achy but mornings are the worst, always, and getting up and moving about eases things.

I need to swing by the grocery store for a few things, most importantly milk for those essential morning lattes, but all these delicious sounding Brussel sprouts recipes are making me think that maybe I need to reconsider this (to me) essentially boring vegetable and try out a few of the excellent suggestions here. I can continue to just steam 'em as my husband loves Brussel sprouts, but how nice it would be to come up with a preparation mode that will turn me into a true believer as well!

Last edited:
have my first Pilates class today
Hope it all went well @Barbaraj ! That's why I've coughed up for 1:1 sessions. I'm probably more afraid of being embarrassed about my (lack of) ability than competing with others in the class! :rofsign: Hope you don't have too many adverse effects tomorrow! After a whole 5 months of recovery without one single solitary little knee pain, I'm assuming the position tonight with an icepack after somehow tweaking my knee on a dog walk this afternoon after almost 7000 steps today. :gaah:. So it's another case if one step forward one step back. One step at a time for all of us. :walking:

Well, it's "hump day" and I'm still loitering around the house in my bathrobe and slippers when I should be more industrious--getting dressed, tidying up the joint and zipping out of here. Need to finish last few slurps of morning latte and get moving. But just an update and then I will get busy.

Well, I tried really hard yesterday NOT to overdo it in my Pilates class, and I think I mostly succeeded. Very depressing to see all those folks who can stretch and bend and whatever with such apparent ease. But nice to put on my spandex leggings for the first time in 6 months. Sure, they are tight and contribute to the "sausage effect", but very smooth sausage casing which smoothed out all my lumps and bumps so that was nice.

You are so right, @Calgal--group classes are certainly cheaper but one-on-one sessions might provide more targeted and appropriate help. I am admittedly a bit sore this morning, most troublingly is my left inner knee. Argh! It was aching last night when I popped into bed and is, ouch, hurting this morning as well. I am testing it out this morning and if it's not part of the usual morning "rats, I am so sore" experience and doesn't ease up, I will be taking some meds and icing later on. I have PT tomorrow morning and if still uncomfortable I will be whining. It's a new therapist--old one left for a new job--and maybe she's got some new tricks up her sleeve that will help.

Hope everyone has a great day, midweek so half way to the weekend. And it's sunny outside, always a mood booster for me although really cool--I think we were anticipated to break some record last night as temperatures dropped. Although those who Iive in the Midwest or east coast would scoff at considering temperatures in the 30's as being "low". But it's October, and low 30's is COLD for us PNW'ers!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back