THR Here We Go Again!

Oh, thank you for the kind message, @KathyB It was very nice to see it after I dragged my carcass out of bed and tottered to my laptop to check BS. I suspect yesterday's gloomy posting didn't do much to secure my position as a poster about "fun" activities but I am hopeful things are looking up today. I actually fell asleep before taking my nighttime Nyquil dose but surprisingly, woke up this morning with the nasal faucet turned off! Maybe this means that the worst is over and I'll start feeling more human by day's end. And, yes, @Going4fun, recovery IS tedious, particularly the lengthy months where you're over the worst of the pain and discomfort and are able to resume most activities of daily living, but always accompanied by this relentless aching and soreness, particularly in the morning or, in my case, when I get up from sitting more than 10 minutes or so. I am trying to "keep the faith" but it's hard when improvements seem nil and you realize that you've got months to go before things get better. And you can't be a slouch and need to focus on activities/exercises that help nudge your weary and recalcitrant body along. And, wow, @Fit4Family, a 35" inseam?! You do have long legs! You will need to find a higher chair if you intend to try the chair rising exercise or you'll bump your nose into your knees!

Thankfully, nothing on my agenda today except laundry, the eternal chore, and probably some grocery shopping. After two days of grazing out of the refrigerator and cupboards, I think it's time to make an actual meal of some sort. Husband is off to a meeting but should return around noon so I'll consult him about dinner possibilities. I will dutifully do my PT exercises and if I'm feeling up to it, I may hit the gym as well. I've heard that unless you're running a fever, it doesn't hurt--and can sometimes help--to engage in some activity even if you're feeling a bit punk. It's another gloomy day here in the PNW but at least it's not raining so that's nice. Forecast for the week isn't that great but feeling a bit better this morning I shall try not to complain about that. Off to start my day! Happy Monday, fellow hipsters!

Well, a bit of sunshine today so feeling a bit more cheery than the last few days, probably also an improved mood since head cold seems to have moved on. I went to the gym this morning and then on the way home stopped at the nail salon to get a manicure and a pedicure which always boosts my mood, too. I may have hag-like hands, but by gum, I have swell fingernails!

So, how am I doing hip wise? Much the same, and it's hard to accept this sometimes--this tedious part of hip recovery just drags on and on. Stiff and sore, particularly in the morning and getting up from sitting always a challenge. I don't feel any worse but I don't feel any better, and I'm constantly trying to push the envelope in terms of activity even though I tell myself that more activity does NOT equal a faster recovery. I got "the lecture" yesterday from my physical therapist (yes, I did over do it on Monday and guiltily admitted it to him at yesterday's PT session) and the stern reminder that, if anything, pushing yourself too hard can slow recovery. He gave me two new exercises to do at home, both of which required me to purchase new, although inexpensive, pieces of exercise equipment, and I feel as if when PT is over I'll have a fairly well stocked mini gym. I'd like to believe that when recovery is complete I can put all this stuff up for sale or off to charity, but I also know that as a rapidly aging hipster, the only way to stave off the worst effects is to keep up with regular, consistent exercise. Part of me rebels at this notion--why can't I spend my declining years eating bon-bons and lounging about?! Of course, I could, but I'd feel weak and lazy and heavy and I KNOW that's not really how I want to spend my declining years! Maybe hip replacement is a big wake-up call for those of us "of a certain age". We can't rest upon our laurels even after full recovery. We have got to keep moving for as long as we can.

But, just as I used to fantasize when I was younger about inheriting a million dollars and retiring with my diamonds and a full staff to cater to my every whim, I know my dreams of a lazy, self-indulgent senior life are just as foolish. It is definitely "use it or lose" it in terms of your mobility and health, not just now but for every day ahead that I'm able. But I'm still thinking of baking some chocolate chip cookies this afternoon, and collapsing on the couch with a good book for a few hours...

this tedious part of hip recovery just drags on and on.
Yep! It sure does. I'm not quite a month ahead of you but also still feeling that morning stiffness and that ouch after sitting for a while. I keep telling myself that even at this S L O W stage of recovery I'm doing more with less pain than pre-op. I'm curious about what kind of equipment you need to buy for PT? All I've got is a thera band.

I agree that staying as active as possible is crucial to ongoing good health but those bon-bons and books sure are tempting.

You're doing great @Barbaraj! And don't be despondent about a longer recovery for no. 2 hip. Think of what it went through whilst supporting no. 1. And sorry to be a bore but it is still early days! You do lots of interesting activities outside the home, I marvel at your stamina and fitness. It is a bore that full recovery is taking so long but I guess like me you're not the most patient person! 're the reading (still my favourite physical activity) how is your concentration? Mine still isn't what it was and I wonder if it's the body's way of ensuring I don't sit about too much?I've never been a great TV watcher but I do watch more than I used to simply because it washes over you without any effort unlike reading a good book.:shrug:

Good morning from the rainy PNW! Got dripped on a bit as I hustled out to grab the morning newspaper from the driveway. Lots of dark and threatening clouds out there so another gloomy day in my future. It's PT day again, so I'll be jetting out of here shortly for my 9:30 appointment. By the way, @gertie, my current "equipment stash" is as follows: mat, big stability ball, stretchy band (for dreaded clamshells, although I don't mind 'em really), and the newest--a foam roller and a stretchy TheraBand. I used both of the latter two yesterday and band is okay but, wow, it is truly uncomfortable to roll my thigh along the roller--ouch!

And, @bickypeg, reading is still my favorite activity as well, and I am sure I spend too much time at this because it requires sitting and after about 15 to 20 minutes the ache at the back of my left thigh and buttock really kick into high gear. I'd like to blame my sloppy reading habit and lack of concentration on hip recovery but honestly I am simply a sloppy, careless reader all the time! I read a ton and retain very little. I have a book group meeting this afternoon and although I read the book, I have very little recall of any of the details. I'll need to pull it out before the meeting and breeze through it a little so I don't seem a complete dolt during the meeting--although I've found that nodding and looking thoughtful without actually saying anything sometimes works well for me.

No, I am not a patient person by nature and hip recovery tests me, and I'm sure many others as well, with the slowness and boredom of it all. I am lucky in that my continuing symptoms don't stop me from getting out there and enjoying life, but I can get cranky and irritable about these residual aches and pains which just don't seem to go away. Sure, during the day these symptoms (after the painful rising from bed in the morning) are completely manageable but I want them DONE WITH! Grrrr...

Last edited:
Hello @Barbaraj
I have not been on the forum for so long that I did not know you had the second one done, congratulations!

I wanted to wish you a happy one year anniversary hip sister. I hope your doing well, and that your recovery is gentle and successful.

Take care, and good luck!

Cheers

@Barbaraj Sorry about the gloomy PNW weather you are experiencing but I am selfishly somewhat happy about it since it is what has finally cooled our SoCal weather and may even promise some light rain this weekend. Very cloudy today and only in the mid 70's (it was in the mid 90's two days ago). Prior to my RTHR, I was in PT for my bad hip and was instructed to use a foam roller, OUCH! :yikes: I had to roll it all along the already inflamed and sore right IT Band. Tears would almost come into my eyes but over time it became easier and it did temporarily take away the discomfort of the bad hip. Of course, the only permanent fix was to have the hip replaced. At this point in my recovery, I have been tempted to start using the roller again as I feel the right IT Band is a bit tight. Like you, I have some lower back issues and I also have neck issues. The roller is fantastic and feels great on those areas. I know you will continue to progress in your recovery and meet your goal for a great 2020.:yes!:

Well, nice to get a message from you, @Lmflora, and I hope your two hips are doing well since, as I recall, when I had my first one, you had your second one so you're a year out from that. My right hip is feeling really pretty strong although having to make some adjustments now that the left hip has been replaced, but I am confidently looking forward to 2020 and no further worries about hips! Happy hip anniversary to you, too!

And thanks, @mainegirl1, I don't know if damp and cool weather brings on more achiness or not--I would prefer that NOT to be the case as we're heading into six months of dismal weather and I don't need weather to be holding me back! More than achiness, it's the "downer mood" that results from miserable weather for days on end that I find hard to deal with. Grumpy equals far more whining than necessary about body aches and pains! I know I just need to keep forging ahead with continued commitment to daily activity which is a good antidote to crankiness for me. But if you're tired of nice weather, please feel free to ship it to the west coast! There is some hazy sunshine outside my window this morning, but phone's weather app says rains are returning this afternoon and--oh, joy--through the weekend as well.

Okay, @KathyB I do agree that 90+ degree days can be just as miserable as cold and wet days. I don't deal well with heat at all. So while I'm still a bit cranky about our rain, if it provides some much needed relief to you Californians, I guess I'll try to think more positively. Oh, and although I'm sorry to read about how uncomfortable you found your foam roller, I was heartened to read that in time it was less painful. Right now it really, really hurts to use it. But, I am determined that if it really is supposed to help me, I can gut it out while hoping that the discomfort eases quickly over time. Between the roller and the miserable exercise of trying to rise properly from a seated position (boy, this is really hard for me) I am not experiencing much joy with PT these days. But I take the long view and I'm convinced from previous experiences with PT that sticking with it consistently will produce good results in the long term.

Absolutely nothing on my agenda today, except PT exercises, and then dinner out with my sweetie tonight. I am happy to have a "veg out" day as the weekend has a few things going on. It is sort of embarrassing how much I enjoy having nothing to do but although I am committed to getting in the requisite amounts of exercise daily, I absolutely adore lazy, do nothing days. Hope all fellow hipsters are waking up to a better day than yesterday as we're trudging along the recovery road!

Hi @Barbaraj
Just popped on to see how you were and after PT, then going to pick up my mom to take her to lunch and shopping at 2 stores I'm bushed, and I'm back home with my ice.
I do well for so long but then I hit the wall and then I too feel the midpoint in recovery is so much drudgery, forced to rest, forced to take that extra pain pill, discouraged that I poop out so quickly.
But my PT reminds me that, I have had not one but two major surgeries close together and that's just how it is.
And you are absolutely right at our age we cant slack off when just trying to keep up with general fitness and we dont bounce back like we used to. It's funny all the niggling little cosmetic and health things you try to remedy---- none of them will kill you or scare people off but by darn it takes some doing for me to look and feel good these days!!!!
But yet I look at my 32 year marriage to a wonderful man, my two good hardworking girls, my house paid off, still having my mom who's my best friend, my faith, savings for retirement, my precious granddaughter, the blessing of retirement at 63 so I can heal in peace---- why I am so so lucky and thankful!!! So as you so frequently say onward!!! There are a million reasons to strive to get better!

Another rainy day, but I do hope it eases up this afternoon as my husband is off to yet another college football game and his stadium seat doesn't have overhead protection from the weather. He dresses appropriately but it won't be a lot of fun sitting there with rain puddling all around him and a stiff wind! I am schlepping my granddaughter to an audition this afternoon for her ballet school's production of "The Nutcracker". I have no idea whether or not she'll be chosen but I am very proud of her for even wanting to try out--there will be ice cream cones afterwards, no matter what the outcome!

It's the usual stiff and slow morning and I know shortly I should throw on some workout clothes and do my PT exercises. I did them yesterday and all of them were easily completed except for the dreaded "rising out of a chair without arching my back and knocking my knees together", always a very tough one for me and one which I haven't successfully mastered yet. The other exercise was using the dreaded foam roller which was so, so painful. I am just hoping that @KathyB is correct and this will truly get easier in time if I can just tough it out. Although this didn't bring tears to my eyes, I was panting and grunting and screwing my face up with each tiny and uncomfortable movement. When I finally got up, awkwardly and slowly, my outer thighs were so sore that I contemplated popping an extra strength Tylenol, something I've not done for weeks! I did go to the gym afterwards, thinking some cardio would help with the throbbing through the slow, repetitive movements on the elliptical and it did feel a bit better after that. And then I went with a friend to a local mall and walking around continued to help ease the stiffness so that by evening time I was feeling okay. I am dreading the roller this morning, and will grit my teeth when it comes time to do that exercise, fortunately the last one I do in my series of exercises. Argh!

You are right, @ahipgma, that all of us, I hope, have so many reasons to get stronger and healthier, and put in the work needed to maintain that going forward. I, too, have a wonderful marriage to a man I adore, four healthy and interesting children, two adorable grandkids, a house that's paid off, good friends and sufficient financial resources not to worry about that going forward: a good and fortunate life all around. Of course I am focused on getting back to "me" so that I can resume being fully (and comfortably) engaged with life and all its pleasures. Thank you for the excellent and timely reminder as to why we're engaged in the recovery process--slow and wearying, but with our "eyes on the prize".

Happy Saturday!

Last edited:
Happy Saturday, @Barbaraj.
You are several jumps ahead of me in PT,
because of my hip#2, old Righty could probably do it but not 5 weeks out Lefty.
You are doing the tough stuff!
I hear while I'm at PT people saying--" pain level?" "How does that feel?"
@at my old PT was very cookie cutter, not that theres not some challenging stuff and moving forward, but I'm trusting of these folks so I'll push when they want me to.
Because I feel like they know what they're doing
I am going to the gym for the first time today to do upper body, hoping for clearance for the elliptical at my 6 week for Lefty on Thursday. My bingo wings and flabby abs need attention too!
I have 10 PT exercises to do every day, some with 30 reps, so it takes a bit of time.
But I'm really becoming more pain free, just the darn stiffness and the stutter walk starting out.
I have 2 girls and the younger one danced when she was little. Always fun to watch.
Enjoy your weekend as we slave away on our fitness journey, we'll be graceful gazelles someday or else!!! :dancy::spin:

I read alot when I was pregnant with my first and he was a baby. After that, no time to read. I did buy a book early in recovery (ha, still there) anyway now I find my eyes go out of focus after a few pages. I just don't feel normal doing nothing. Tedious is the word of the day, week or month I guess :bored:

Oh @Barbaraj I am so sorry the roller is giving you such a bad result. I would never have guessed a foam roller would be something PT would want you to do this early post op. I was doing it a couple of years pre THR as a means of loosening up the IT Band. Although it was painful while using the roller, once I stopped it did not hurt and seemed to give some relief, similar to a deep tissue massage. I have only recently considered doing it again at almost one year post THR. Just a thought, I wonder what your PT would say about the roller causing pain, throbing, etc. even after you are done using it. Taking your granddaughter to a ballet audition brings back fond memories of when my granddaughter was taking ballet and I would sometimes take her to a lesson or to see the year end recital. So much fun but that was many years ago, she is now 19. Having young grandkids close by certainly keeps us going and can be good for us. Even though we may be tired or dealing with aches and pains, it's amazing how we can gather enough energy to be a part of their lives and for a time feel somewhat young again as we watch them get involved with their activities. Hope your day is a good one. :) :-) (:

Ah, it's Sunday and no rain to start the day which means it's a banner day for me. No sunshine yet but the promise of some a little later perhaps which will further boost my mood. I've not gotten dressed yet, still flopping around in my PJs and a bathrobe, but soon--soon, I hope--I'll throw on some workout gear and plunge into my morning PT exercises. I don't think the foam roller is doing me any permanent harm, @KathyB It is quite uncomfortable, but my husband says he uses it in his regular workouts and it's uncomfortable for him as well--I think it's just the nature of the beast. While my outer thighs do throb for a bit once I stop (ah, that always feels blissful) the pain doesn't last and I'm hoping (sheesh, really hoping) that perhaps this is doing some good! My PT always pushes me a bit and while I whine and grumble sometimes, I know it's good for me. If the discomfort lasted a long time I would, of course, stop doing any the exercise but for now I'll do it, although with a good bit of dread in my heart!

Well, @ahipgma, I am not sure I ever qualified as a graceful gazelle, even before hip nonsense! My goal is to walk smoothly and erect, no stumbling along, and to be able to do activities without discomfort. I want to continue driving my granddaughter to her lessons twice a week, and being able to extricate myself from the car without hunching over and doing a "stumble step" when I first get out. You know, the small stuff of a normal life! I do find the recovery process tedious, slow and often frustrating but having recovered more or less successfully from hip replacement #1, I know that full recovery is possible for hip #2 as well. I, too, have sagging arms and no strength in my upper body but hips come first right now. I think maybe after the first of the year I'll think about adding some strength/weight training into my routine but for now, I just want my left thigh and butt to stop aching!

And, @julesglass, I, too, found reading--probably my most favorite activity--to be difficult if not impossible in the early weeks. But that passed and even though I do get uncomfortable and twitchy from sitting, I am able to focus now and I'm back to my 1 or 2 books per week. Funny how you must feel reading is "doing nothing" and you'd rather be up and about, when my dream is to sit comfortably in a chair for hours on end, devouring some wonderful book! Maybe you've just never found the right book?

After dreaded PT routine this morning, I might hit the gym with my workout buddy and then this afternoon we're going to a local theatre's production of "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" which is supposed to be a fun show. Afterwards there was talk of hitting a local happy hour for a drink and discussion about the show so a good day ahead. Hope everyone has a great Sunday, another day trudging along the recovery path for us all. Cheers!

You have lovely Sunday plans, @Barbaraj ! I was so glad to read the reminder of yours, from someone who is well out from one hip replacement #1, that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like my first hip backslid a little bit, being so heavily depended on and i had to to stop the elliptical that I felt was helping it!
I can tell that the left one was done last, but both vie for attention!!
When I complete my exercises my legs feel a little tired and shaky but not painful.
We have a dear friend who is 50 years a priest and he is having a big celebration, and after we are driving down to West Virginia for an overnight (1.5 hrs from our home in Western PA) to visit and sit with our granddaughter Monday. We have had the most beautiful fall ever, sunny days and cool nights, after years of almost skipping fall and spring and only having summer and winter.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Ah, another non-rainy start to the day which means I'm smiling this morning. Husband is already off and has a variety of appointments today so he'll only be here for brief periods of time before jetting off to his next commitment. I, on the other hand, have nothing on my plate except the usual "do PT exercises" and "go to gym" at some point during the day. Hip is feeling much the same so I guess I have to just continue focusing on my belief that things will eventually improve and this pesky ache and stiffness will completely dissipate at some point. Yes, yes, I know--not even three months out yet so much too early to get cranky about my progress. But that doesn't stop me!

Went to the theatre yesterday and the show, "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder", was a lot of fun. It was a local community theatre production, but the acting was good, and the four lead singers did a great job. Afterwards, we went down to a nearby restaurant (happy hour all day on Sunday!) with two other couples who also attended the show, and had drinks and snacks and chatted for an hour or so before we all headed home. Happy hour food meant no need to prepare any dinner, and a handful of Marcona almonds and a glass of milk sufficed for my dinner.

Like you, @ahipgma, I often feel a bit shaky and weak after PT exercises (never, fortunately, after cardio on the elliptical) and the outside of my thighs from that uncomfortable foam roller are throbbing a bit. But, this does ease fairly quickly and I just hope that miserable roller is actually doing something other than hurting like the dickens! I need to check with the PT on Thursday as to exactly WHAT benefit I am deriving from that torture device! I am now down to only one PT visit a week for October, thinking I might get fired at month's end with the directive to just keep on doing the exercises--uh-- like, forever. I do like PT, I am eager to do well and it's sobering when I go as so many folks in there are struggling far, far worse than I am. I am clearly one of the more fit patients, and does stop my whining temporarily when I think about this.

Happy Monday all.

@Barbaraj
I think keeping busy really helps, even if you have some stiff mornings and some discomfort at times during the day.
You seem to have the recovery system figured out pretty good and soon it will be a distant memory....and good times ahead...♥️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back