THR Here We Go Again!

Hi BarbaraJ, good to her you have started the physio and that he/she is being gentle with you.

Interesting about pickles for treating cramp! Coconut water and banana seems to work for me!

Hope things continue to go well for you.

Hi @Barbaraj
I understand your qualifying " leap". :yes:Drank so much water had to get up in the middle of the night, throw off ice , take away pillows, grab cane and "rush" , to the bathroom and barely made it! :flabber: Yep, maybe in a year we will be rushing and leaping with ease!
Walked today and made it further than before and iced right after. Trying to control pain more by pacing myself and ice/ rest than by taking a pain pill. I wish I could get back to the gym but cant for 3 more weeks and my clearance. But I can truthfully say my postop pain is a thing of the past and it's just the healing pain and stiffness hallelujah!
Have a lovely one!

What's 'charley horse'?! Two countries divided by the same language...(never worked out what 'grits' were either while I'm here ...)

Is it nice? Over here grit is what you get in your knee falling off a scooter onto a rough road. I think I still have some in there! Or your eye looking out of a train window (in the days when you could)

@bickypeg Grits is often an acquired taste and instant grits like instant porridge just awful.
When I was first introduced to grits in Louisiana I was fortunate to have in hand a bottle of maple syrup from home but every Southerner in the room was appalled when I dumped the syrup on the grits.
Like all things Southern it should be served with a little salt and a lot of butter... and a lot of hot sauce. I am getting better at eating it that way.. As a matter of fact I will be making shrimp and grits for dinner tonight.

There are a lot of kinds of grits.. red, white yellow.. To me they still all taste alike.. In the South there often is a whole aisle in the supermarket devoted to grits.. Here you get one kind of grit..

Any chance of a photo please?!
This would be a great topic for a post in the Social Room. I believe there is already a thread there to discuss food. This thread is about @Barbaraj and her recovery, so let's try to stay on that topic here.

Thanks for thinking of me and my recovery, @alexthecat, and it was a good and timely reminder as I confess I was tempted to launch into a bit of an exposition on the similarities and contrast between grits (ugh) and polenta (good stuff) but I shall refrain! Still, hips and good food are fascinating topics to so many of us, that they tend to get blurred a bit on our discussion threads.

Well, had my second PT session today and they actually emailed me with a list of exercises I'll start tomorrow morning. I was once again reminded that I've got a lot of work ahead of me as my gait is not great (even though I can walk without pain, I "feel" it's off and not normal--sort of how you feel when you first get off a boat sometimes) and my poor muscles are weak and unhappy. Back of the thigh ache continues and I'm so grumpy about this back sleeping I could just scream! Once again, and I try every few days, I rolled over onto my side last night and, once again, it was uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. It is so maddening because with hip #1 I was able to sleep on my side the first night in the hospital! I have no idea why it's proving so challenging with this second hip. Argh...

I didn't go to the gym yesterday but I did go on a long walk with my luncheon guest and that constituted my exercise for the day. I also got my nails done which was a mood booster, and as of today's PT session I've been told I need to work on rising up from a chair using my core and quads (with no hunching forward) which is very challenging to do--I feel like such a wimp! Need to forcibly remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day, and repairing all those out of shape and damaged muscles is going to take time, commitment and (heavy groan) patience. At least it's not raining today and I'll get a bit of a walk after we drop off our granddaughter at her ballet lesson and we'll walk down a few blocks to a new cocktail/snack place.

Cheers and happy Thursday, fellow hipsters!

Last edited:
I've been told I need to work on rising up from a chair using my core and quads
Ah, yes, I've gotten the same message and it's HARD to do! My Pt will oh so gracefully demonstrate and then I try and get my rear 1/4 inch off the chair and plop back down. I'll be cheering you on!

Oh, boy, @gertie, although I am sorry it's so hard for you, I am glad that someone else is struggling with this as well. My therapist demonstrated this for me this morning and made it look so darn easy. I then tried it and did sort of a stagger rise, neither graceful nor the way it's supposed to be done--lumbering bear rising up. You and I will just have to commit to trying this daily until we can manage, okay? You go first! :heehee:

Yeah, I was happy about no pain yesterday and today, BOTH hips hurt.
The path is twisty all right. We will do it no doubt, but the road seems to stretch forever sometimes. Meeting a friend to talk and catch up. No trudging required once we get to Panera!!!

hmmm. Rising from a chair without leaning forward.
I get to try that next Mon. It was on my sheet of things to do at 4 weeks
I dont have armchairs but suspect I have been cheating!
I need to work on rising as my canoe seat is only eight inches off the bottom
I have always leant forward in the past

So that is two things for me to practise! Chair rising and fairy dell’s bingo wings arm exercises. I am sure I lean forward when risi g too. In the early days I could not sit for long without getting stiff so, during lunches, used to do a half rise and sit down again

Sorry about the pain thing and I know that great desire to have things move quicker as you said 'like yesterday' but you have what seems like a wonderful productive and happy life and you plod along in spite of your 'setbacks' or hip demands with grace and cheer and you are such a role model. I appreciate reading your progress and I know you must have your setbacks but your positive outlook is inspiring.

Just to clarify for everyone, but when rising up from a chair it's okay to lean a bit forward, but keep my back straight and don't hunch over. It is challenging, but this morning I did the full set of exercises I've been given and was able--well, mostly--to get up from a chair without arms and keeping my back almost straight. It's hard work and I huff a bit but this is just the beginning so I need to cut myself some slack--it will get easier, I know.

Off to lunch today at a friend's house, so girlfriends, wine and laughter--a good recipe for any day of the week, I think. And this evening is family game night at my daughter's house which should be fun. We'll go out to dinner beforehand, and younger son cadged an invitation so he'll be coming as well. Feeling very smug about completing all my PT exercises this morning, trying to take them slowly and focus on form (with my usual impatience it is hard not to whiz through them carelessly) which means they take longer than I'd like. But, nose is firmly on the PT grindstone from here on out as I know it works for me if I'm compliant and diligent. Onwards!

Hope everyone has a fine Friday. Cheers!

I too struggle with rising from a chair without leaning forwards. Its tough!! Good on you for working at it. I have noticed my quads are a bit weaker than they used to be so I also need to practise that. Sounds like you have a lovely evening planned. Enjoy!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom