THR Here We Go Again!

Sigh. :) :-) (: I remember my first big pamper days around the 6 week cut loose time. My first hair salon visit I saw the very low washing station chair :yikes:and had to ask them for the kiddie booster seat! But managed fine and was soooooo great to look groomed again! At the pedicure place, I eventually heaved myself up into their super duper chair thing but OMG was my butt hurting after awhile! I squirmed a lot and even had to stand up a couple of times in the process (I had the 90 minute deluxe pedi that day, worth every second). Hope you are feeling positively gorgeous now! :flwrysmile:

Hi @Barbaraj
Sounds wonderful to feel active and not like a patient. All sounds good! I remember my six week and the blessing to have my restrictions taken away. You feel like you climbed mountains to have all that healing behind you! Enjoy!!!! My home PT guy just mentioned yesterday that the elliptical was good for post hips especially to excersize the glutes which are the last to get strong.

It's late afternoon in my neighborhood, but it's been a good day so far. I thought I might hit the gym again, but with my well known tendency to overdo things and suffer the consequences, I decided not to go and instead go to a big grocery store and stroll the aisles for exercise. The elliptical felt WONDERFUL yesterday, and I was well behaved and only did 15 minutes with low resistance. I was feeling so good I thought at one point, "why not another 15 minutes?" but I stomped down that thought, hopped off and headed off to the nail salon. Oh, my goodness, that spa chair for the pedicure was sooo uncomfortable (I can't even imagine a 90 minute session, @Calgal--ouch!) but my toes are a lovely orangey-red color, and I've a French manicure on my finger nails. In the afternoon I got my hair cut and by day's end I was tired but feeling good mentally. Yes, it's terribly shallow to fuss over things like nails and hairstyles but at this point the small pampering things do make a difference, don't they?

I had a friend over for lunch today, another glorious plate full of colorful and healthy foods, and more rose--delicious stuff on a warm summer day. My friend had a foreign exchange student with her from Thailand (she is only hosting for a week and today the girl was going in late afternoon to her more permanent living situation for the school year) so she got the same plate as mine and my friend's, but she got a glass of milk to drink.

Dinner tonight is going to be a GIANT wedge salad. I got ingredients at the store and told my husband that this is it. He seemed accepting (and unsurprisingly, didn't offer to make anything himself) and then headed out on a bike ride with a friend. I made homemade granola this afternoon--love this stuff with fresh fruit and a scoop of Greek yogurt--so the whole house smells delicious. Hips feeling good, just usual (learning to live with it for the moment) stiffness and ache in my butt and back of my thigh) but know that this is something that will only go away with time. No use rushing it or wailing about it. It is what it is. Hope everyone is having a good day.

I feel parched with thirst, gazing longingly at the oasis of your varied, colorful, active life. And I think, I don’t care if my bottom and thigh get sore while I get used to actually living again instead of spectating!

It’s a beautiful picture you paint, @Barbaraj :)

So wonderful to hear about your great day. When you think about it, it's normal but how you savor it when you been without being able to fully participate in life for a while. And you sound more relaxed about recovery too with its ups and downs. Bravo!

Oh, @Ptarmigan I think you'll be in exactly the same place that I am sooner than you think. You've been so much better organized and focused than me, and educated yourself so thoroughly, that I'm convinced that while it won't be much fun (never, ever a term applied to hip replacement recovery!) you'll soon be on top of the situation and then you, too, will be regaining your life and doing "fun stuff". Hang in there, with surgery just around the corner you'll be starting your journey soon, and lots of folks here--including me--who'll be cheering you along the way.

And, yes, @ahipgma, while I felt like I had a harder start to the journey this time, I have definitely reached a place where I am feeling positive and eager to get back into a more "normal" life. Sure, I realize that this aching/stiffness and soreness will continue for some time, but I do feel more relaxed and hopeful that I've definitely turned the corner and things are looking up for me. I know I can still screw things up (!!) by being foolish and pushing myself too hard, but I am resolved--sort of--to be sensible while still letting the heady excitement of "real life" in all its glory push me forward.

Cloudy start to my day, but should turn sunny around noon, according to the weather report. Another lunch date today, but this time at a restaurant. A friend who lives part-time out of state, alternating every month or two between here and her other home, is leaving Sunday so I'm taking her out to lunch. Love sitting on my deck with healthy plate and wine, but also fond of restaurant meals with cheerful servers who bring yummy food and drink and whisk away the dirty dishes at the end! If I get back from lunch early enough I may head to the gym for yet another short and lowkey workout, really want to be sensible but also know that, for me, getting back in the exercise habit is critical. Hips feel pretty good, but back is aching this morning. Ugh. Only other event is dinner with hubby tonight, Friday date night, which is always enjoyable. Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Last edited:
You too, @Barbaraj, my granddaughter is here today, Home PT came and coached me, encouraged me with the cane, next week dressing removal and permission to drive. My mornings are still so darn painful and stiff but otherwise time and progress marching on! Holiday weekend! Yay!

Just caught up on your thread, and was tickled to read how well your appointment went, and how enthusiastically you have launched yourself into the next phase of recovery! And also what incredible self discipline you are starting off with---being moderate with your gym time, even though you obviously, and understandably (for YOU---not me---haha) are chomping at the bit to spend more time there! Maybe someday I'll give it another try....but for now, I sure prefer the walking and gardening variety of exercise:) Hope you have a great weekend.:loveshwr:

Good morning, hip recovery world, a cool and cloudy start to the day again but promise of sunshine later--or showers--but not overly warm which just completely wipes me out. Love these low 70's days! Husband is off to a college football game, the season opener, today so I have a day stretched out ahead of me with nothing planned. Since I was virtuous yesterday and didn't go back to the gym, I shall be returning today and trying to up my time just a wee bit without being stupid about it. Don't have to worry about feeding myself as I've leftovers from yesterday's lunch (pizza) and dinner (beef noodle stir fry) so microwave, here I come. I'm thinking I might want to mess around in the kitchen this afternoon to do the only form of domestic activity I actually enjoy: baking! The downside of baking is that you end up with way too much in the way of fattening homemade baked goods which need to be dealt with somehow. If I go this route, I may need to make some trips to neighbors' houses to drop off treats. I can easily avoid candy and ice cream but home baked goods are my downfall--simply cannot have that stuff in the house for more than a day.

Feeling pretty good today and was pleased this morning when I trundled into the bathroom that I forgetfully sat down without thinking on the toilet from which my husband yesterday removed the riser. I got down and up again without any problem since--surprise, surprise--I guess those quads haven't completely deteriorated! I'd been using the walker to drape clothing on, sort of my ancillary closet, and that's been put away as all. The medications have all been stashed away in the medicine cabinet so as of today no reminders of hip surgery are visible in my house. Now, the focus is all interior: get rid of this pesky aching and stiffness which, I realize, is going to take time and some work once I fully engage in PT and more regular trips to the gym. But that prospect I welcome with open arms as it represents a return to a full, satisfying and "normal" life.

Happy Saturday!

Isn't it fun to get rid of all that medical equipment!Today I am sending the walker packing back to its original owner!

All this walking around the house has me peering at the floor.. I may walk with a Swiffer Wet Mop after lunch.

I should do it with the cane but yesterday I lost track of it twice and today I am not quite sure where it is aside from being on the same floor level as I am on.

Soon soon I too can resume my gym classes. They are just Silver Sneakers( though the classes do work EVERYTHING) but it is fun when the neighbors are in the same class. Then we eat in the college cafeteria. Old people get a discount. I am looking forward to actually participating in the hip exercises without fear of searing pain..

Life does get back to normal! Congrats!

@mainegirl1---That's what happened to me too---I kept going off without my walker, and later my cane, moving slowly and carefully, but just fine. I'd look and see it on the other side of the room and debate whether to go retrieve it or just keep going.:heehee: I was always pretty cautious though----if I'd been moving faster or in unfamiliar spaces I probably wouldn't have been as likely to "lose" them. And the floor staring----had the same thing happen, but I resisted it!

A friend of mine just had her hip replaced 2 weeks ago. She texted me on day 5 and said she had been vacuuming because the floor looked so awful when she'd look at it while walking with her walked. I told her to quit that---the floor would wait.....Alas, she joined the ODIC and is still paying for it 1 1/2 weeks later. So you might rethink hauling that Swiffer around---slipping and falling, or twisting something would not be good!:no-fin:

It's a cool and cloudy start to my day here in the PNW, but the weather forecast is for sunshine to return by midday and warmer but not too hot temperatures as well. I think it will be a pleasant day to end the three day holiday weekend. Our youngest son and his girlfriend are coming over this afternoon for a barbecue which will involve hot dogs, chips and salad. As none of these items are currently residing in our pantry at the moment, a trip to the grocery store this morning is in order. But, I am still loitering around in my nightwear, feeling lazy and not motivated. I think once I'm showered and dressed I'll feel more energetic.

When I worked fulltime, today was a banner holiday--a wonderful three day weekend--but here in retirement land it's just another day, involving laundry most probably, and a visit with our son this afternoon. Hips are feeling pretty good this morning. When I step back and assess my situation I accept that I am stiff and sore pretty much 24/7 but it's at a low enough discomfort level that it's not impacting my life significantly. Although I certainly would not want to live like this permanently, I realize that it's truly not that bad and at just under 7 weeks I am really doing pretty darn well. I made it to the gym yesterday and did 30 minutes on the elliptical with no ill effects but so far haven't added any resistance to my workouts. Just nice to get back into the exercise habit again. Made it to trivia night last night where we took first place, helped out greatly by our 10 out of 10 score on the category, "British mystery TV series". Very satisfying!

Happy Labor Day to those who celebrate--hope it's a day filled with sunshine, good smells from the grill, and sounds of friends and family gathering to enjoy the day. Cheers, all.

Feeling a bit stiff this morning, more so than normal, and not sure what's going on. I know it's just another day in recovery land, but feeling grumpy as a result. Probably need to get up and move around more so this will fade. Husband has already taken off for his office and a workout, and I'm still wandering around in my bathrobe and not getting ready to start my day. Ah, me. Lazy start to midweek.

Had a nice day yesterday, we headed downtown for a trip to a museum and lunch out at a brew pub, so a fair amount of walking involved. The lunch place was crawling with Amazonians--tons and tons of young folks, all with cellphones glued to their noses, heavy backpacks sloping down towards their butts, ear buds firmly plugged in. My husband and I must have been 20+ years older than most of the folks wandering the streets or crowding into the place we had lunch. Suburbia, where we live, is definitely an older crowd.

Off to the grocery store and the gym today. Onwards.

@Barbaraj I wonder if it was the museum visit that led to more stiffness? I find standing in one place and slow strolling is harder than walking at a moderate or brisk pace. I've always found this to be true and have long experienced "museum back"--that low backache that standing and staring at artwork induces.

@gertie I love this comment---
I find standing in one place and slow strolling is harder than walking at a moderate or brisk pace. I've always found this to be true and have long experienced "museum back"--that low backache that standing and staring at artwork induces.
I have noticed the same thing happen to me and love the term "museum back"! I will be using it in the future. It seems that some things like museum back and my favorite"gardening bottom" really are perfect descriptions. :loveshwr:

@Barbaraj And you....."Amazonians"---another great phrase. I imagine as long as you spend a couple of days in your pajamas, and not hanging out with Amazonians or in museums you will start feeling a lot better. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie