THR Here We Go Again!

Well, thank you, @Ptarmigan I am not sure I am as balanced in my approach to surgical recovery as you give me credit for, but having been through one recovery already, I know that full recovery is achievable and I will get to full recovery with hip #2 as well. I am not sure I handled the realization that hip #2 needed replacing with much "grit and grace", more like crabby frustration ("stupid hip--how dare you fail me this early on") but firm resolve. Still, here I am today on the recovery trail and plodding along with as much cheer as I can muster--onwards!

Well, yesterday afternoon with the littles went pretty well. Despite the day starting out quite dismally, with heavy overcast and steady rainfall, things cleared up by midafternoon so that when everyone descended, then took off for the beer fest and leaving the kiddies with me, I loaded them into the car and we drove down to the library park. They had a fun time on the play equipment while I took a few slow strolls around the park perimeter. Then we walked a block to get ice cream bars and back to the car and then home where, yes, @SurreyGirl, I DID plop them in front of the TV to watch cartoons while I retired to another room to slap on an icepack and read my Kindle. Festival attendees returned about 6:30 and we ordered takeout. They all left around 7:30 and it was an early bedtime for me, once again falling asleep during the 10:00 TV news.

Not feeling too bad this morning, but read the Sunday paper with an icepack firmly in place. I've gone a couple of days now with no medication at all, and it's working so far. The medicine bottles are still in place on my bathroom counter in case my whiny hip is unable to resist their siren call, but while I still ache and I'm stiff, it's very manageable for the most part and I feel I really don't "need" anything. But, nice to know it's easily available if I have a particularly tough day.

Nothing on my Sunday agenda except bar trivia tonight. It will be greasy tacos and tater tots for dinner tonight so I need to eat a fairly healthy lunch, I'm thinking. We've still got leftover couscous, black bean and veg salad from our Thursday BBQ so I can have that with a glass of milk and feel virtuous. Thinking I'll attempt a shower on my own, and we'll see if I can maybe try hauling on those stupid compression knee highs on my own. I'm getting better, more limber, about bending forward and I think I can manage. If not, I'll lie like a beached whale on our bed and wait for my husband's help when he returns from a few errands.

So, another fun day on the recovery trail, just loping along. Happy Sunday!

Last edited:
Oh i envy your ability to sleep. I wonder if mine will ever come back or the hot flushes will subside. What are the differences between both of your recoveries? Was one easier than the other?

Your day sounds lovely :flwrysmile:

Oh my you are amazing-taking the grandkids out and doing all that stuff. I couldn't even imagine.
I am sort of a loner and just want to get myself together. You sound like such a cheerful wonderful person.Your recovery seems to be heading in the right direction.

Well, @Fiona444, I agree I am lucky that during both hip recoveries I was able to sleep pretty well soon after surgery. It was definitely easier with hip #1, as side sleeping comfortably came back immediately after surgery, much to my surprise, but with hip #2 I am still on my back. I grouse about it as I am so stiff in my lower back in the mornings, but I am admittedly getting a solid night of sleep with fewer and fewer "pee breaks" needed. I think my experience with each hip has been different (easier the first two weeks with hip #1, although was walking immediately without aids with hip #2; incision healed quickly with hip #1, hip #2 had a nasty rash due to allergic reaction to glue strip which still causes some itching as I head into week 4) but I know, without a doubt that I will be ending up in the same place with both hips--fully recovered, fully bionic and definitely over the moon at the thought that NO MORE HIP SURGERIES are in my future!

@mikeycat, I wouldn't say I'm such a cheerful person (but, sure, I'll take wonderful!) but I'm slightly older than you and I think one big life lesson for me is that while I can't control some things in my life, I can control to a certain extent how I respond to them, and hip recovery is a good example. I was so miserable and unhappy that first week of recovery with #2, and had a major meltdown one day, crying and whining, a soggy mess. That was the night I think I ended up taking an oxy which I swore I wasn't going to do. But it helped and I got a nice druggy sleep that night and I woke up feeling stronger and more positive and decided I was going to try to be more positive and upbeat, regardless of how rotten I was feeling. And it worked--kinda/sorta--and things did seem to get a bit easier after that. I trust I am not really a Pollyanna personality, but trying to put a good face on things can sometimes help me, I know. Anyway, I think your recovery has been much, much tougher than mine--I can't even fathom how tough a bilateral hip replacement must be! And then the other issues that have cropped up for you, I can well understand your desire to isolate and take the time you need to pull yourself together. I hope the forum has been a good place for you to find support and comfort from folks who are also struggling, different issues but struggling nonetheless. Having been through one recovery I know for certain that we're all going to get there in the end--you as well--and I truly believe things will be looking up for you and 2020 will be a good, fully recovered year. Keep your chin up--I know that's hard but you are on the road to recovery. Try to have faith in yourself and your remarkable body. It's been through a lot, it will take time to heal but it will happen. Cheers and hugs.

Last edited:
The "Fake it till you make it" mantra. I love that because it works on some subconscious level. Totally agree with you on being able to control how we respond to things rather than controlling the actual scenario. Very true.

It is interesting to read the differences between the two operations. Did you have anterior or posterior for both of them?

Hey, @Fiona444 I had an anterior approach (the only approach my surgeon does) for both surgeries. I have nothing to compare between this and other approaches, but feel that for me this was a good approach. I was relieved that I had no restrictions, other than the obvious one of "don't do anything that hurts", which meant it was one less thing to worry about especially during those early days of surgical recovery!

A beautiful morning here in the PNW, sunshine but still comfortable temperature to start the day. I was up early so I could shower and get dressed (able to do this but it takes more time than usual still) and then drove up to an eye doctor appointment. I remembered to change my dental appointment to an earlier date once my surgery was rescheduled, but totally forgot about rescheduling this appointment. But, I figured, all I'd be doing was moving around to sit in various chairs for testing so not a problem. I was hobbling a bit as the start of the day can be a bit challenging, but I managed just fine.

Nothing else on my agenda today, although hoping my husband will go for a walk after lunch. Yesterday we walked down to a neighborhood restaurant for lunch, where we each had a glass of sauvignon blanc with our meal--cold, light and refreshing--and then we walked to the library park for a few circuits before returning home. Due to the warmth of the afternoon sunshine plus that glass of wine with lunch, both my husband and I were doddering in our comfy armchairs by late afternoon! But the wine at lunch was a lovely treat despite the afternoon snoozing.

Hip is much the same--stiff, sore, and no worse than yesterday although no better. Just need to keep moving around periodically so it doesn't stiffen up further during the day. Hope everyone has a great day.

Hello @Barbaraj

So happy hip number 2 is starting to come together for you. You sound like you are in such a beautiful spot. Have only been to PNW, once in my life. It was gorgeous. Wine at lunch and a romantic lunch with hubby sounds so nice. Glad you are feeling better with movement. Nothing makes me more cranky than lying about. My doctor calls it “Tin Man” Getting moving, lubes those joints and feels so much better. Hope you have a great day!

Happy hump day! I was up at 5:30 for a pee break and thought I might be able to get back to sleep after that but when I got back into bed the back of my leg and my lower back wouldn't settle down. I lay awake until 6:00 when I grumpily got up to start my day. It's sunny out there again, and looks like it's going to be a lovely warm day. Yesterday I went out for a walk with my husband, just a slow meander in the neighborhood, and when I got home and checked my fitness tracker, it registered 2.6 miles! Woo, hoo--the most mileage I've had since before surgery. Sure, I slapped an ice pack on immediately when we got home but didn't feel too bad for the remainder of the day. Plus, in late afternoon a neighbor called, putting together an impromptu get together with a few neighbor women. I drove down and we sat out in her backyard, chatting away and sipping a glass of wine and having a few pre-dinner munchies. It felt so NORMAL!

Today is my BIG DAY! Those miserable compression stockings got peeled off this morning! I'm dressed, in regular jeans and a top and sandals--red toenails on display! I'm heading out shortly to grab some breakfast (husband already off for the day--workout, office work, visit with his mom) and then will run a few other errands before returning home to plop down in the afternoon. Since my husband won't be home until well after dinner I should swing by the store and pick up ingredients for a lovely, indulgent meal of some sort. Oh, the options!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
@Barbaraj congrats on getting did of those nasty TED's you're better than me, would have burned them by now!

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening with your neighbors, how awesome. Driving myself to PT today, look out world she's back on the road!
:driver:

@Barbaraj :wow: You deserve an award for wearing those stockings for a full six weeks! I don't know how you did it - I only managed two weeks before I "lost" them. I only had the knee-high ones too, unlike you with the full length variety! I presume you wore them the full 6 weeks last time too?

Yep, folks, it is indeed nice to feel normal (well, more normal anyway) but no, @linette333 I didn't wear the compression hose for six weeks as my doctor only requires four weeks. I suffered with the over the knee variety for the first two weeks (the ones that begin falling down and uncomfortably bunching down around your knees as soon as your thigh swelling goes down), but I persuaded them at my two week check in to let me switch over to the knee high compression hose for the remaining two weeks. These were admittedly better than the thigh high stockings, but they were still tight, hot and itchy, and miserable on a warm summer day.

Got a text from the same group of women I got together with last night, and they're headed out midafternoon for a bit of shopping and then an early dinner. So, since my husband won't be home until well after dinner at the earliest, I'm tagging along. We are eating at some sort of trendy Asian restaurant, Din Tai Fung (betting @Ptarmigan has heard of it!) which I've never been to before, but they specialize in yummy dumplings so I'm in! I'm home from errand running and now just need to do some laundry before lunch. Feeling virtuous and loving my bare legs!

PS Congrats on driving yourself to PT today, @Elf1 Getting back some freedom and independence, yet another step towards getting back into our regular selves.

Another gorgeous day here in the PNW. I'm up and caffeinated so feeling perkier than I do at 6:00 AM when I stagger out of bed, head downstairs for the newspaper, and ice pack and my morning latte! I am waking up too early, around 5 or 5:30 these days and after I totter to the bathroom I try to get back into bed but am simply unable to get comfortable and drift off again. My hip hurts, my back hurts, I'm stiff all over! I generally lay there grousing for about 15 - 30 minutes and then I give up and get up.

I had a good afternoon yesterday with my friends. I helped out during the shopping portion of the afternoon, hustling from dressing rooms to racks bringing them different sizes for various dresses (both friends shopping for upcoming weddings) but there was no way I was trying anything on. While I am walking well, getting in and out of clothes is a much slower process and wouldn't have been fun at all. Dinner at the Asian restaurant was fun--a lovely cocktail to start and then various trays of lovely dumplings arrived, very tasty bites indeed. I was home by 6:30 and although not really hungry, I was craving something sweet. So, I dragged out the giant bag of chocolate chips I keep in the kitchen and made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I took a photo on my cell phone and texted the picture to my husband with the caption, "Lassie, come home". Sure enough, he saw that at his mom's house and hit the road shortly after that!

Not sure what today holds although at some point I do need to get to the grocery store and, of course, I'd love to take a walk with my husband at some point. Another day on the hip journey, just plugging along. Cheers!

Love Din Tai Fung - the food perhaps more than the ambiance - we order take out and delivery, too :). It sounds like you had a lovely afternoon and I am tickled pink by your flirt-text to DH. I imagine he was, too. I hear you when you describe waking up stiff and sore, but I also hear how much pleasure you’re getting out of your life. The balance seems heavily weighted to the positive, and very much moreso than I might have imagined. Delighted for you.

Sounds like a full day with lots of fun things going on stiffness aside you appear to be so positive and way on your way to an incredible recovery--good for you.

Awww...thanks for the sweet posts, @Ptarmigan and @mikeycat! Yes, the stiffness and soreness are ever present reminders that I just had hip replacement surgery four weeks ago (that recently? sheesh...) but being able to get out and do a few "normal" activities is a real mood booster. I know I am incredibly lucky to be doing this well so early on and I'm trying not to push things but, boy, I am so sick and tired of feeling so stiff and achy. I tend to power through my day and I'm tired at night, but I sleep okay until the early morning aches and pains wake me up. But, it is getting better--and loving not having to wear the compression stockings anymore! We all need to focus on the small, positive victories even as we bemoan the slowness and stiffness of recovery. We're all getting there eventually.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts