THR Here We Go Again!

You are braver than me, in large amounts! I wouldn't have opted to go without my Oxy for the first week, yes I don't love being on it but you are definitely a super trooper with what you've accomplished already without it! Tossing away the walker, no less!
I was so hoping it was just globs of adhesive and not blisters. sigh. But it sounds like things are under control, there, too. Glad to hear that you contacted your OS and you are right, who knows what those incisions look like when covered by that aqua cell bandage? If you recall, I still had that in place this time, too.
Glad you had a better day, wonder what your favorite go to perfume was?? :heehee:

Last edited:
The first week was sooooooo much harder than i ever envisioned. Not for the feint hearted. You have done so well. I was taking pain relief every 2 hours and still struggled. Fair play on cutting some of yours out already. I am still taking co codamol in the morning and night with nothing else in the day. I want to cut out the night dose from today. I still have the nefopam if i need it but i want to get away from opiates now.

I hope you enjoyed your lovely meal and had a comfortable night

Good for you.You got right back up on the horse. The first 2 weeks are the worse at least for me thought I was in Hades but you seem so positive in spite of everything though we all know how difficult it is to put on a happy face when everything is screaming otherwise. I was advised by the nurse to use the advil and tylenol combined instead of oxy which I did. Had half oxy left after 2 weeks and returned to pharmacy. There was little oxy to begin with. You have accomplished a great deal to date and will undoubtedly continue on that trajectory. Nice that you are doing the things which make you feel good about yourself. Mine was to get up early shower and dress.

Good Morning @Barbaraj

I am so sorry you’ve had a rough couple days. Days 4 and 5 were my worst days for some reason. Could not get comfortable. I also think the inflammation is at its highest point then. Pity party warranted. I’m sure your husband understands. The heat! Don’t get me started on that. Making everyone cranky here, and no one has recently been run over. Surgically speaking.

Your coffee sounds incredible! My husband bought a milk frother for my birthday. It makes every cup so decadent. It truly is the little things that help bring joy to the early days. Glad you have answer for blisters. I reacted too. They healed up fairly quickly. Took awhile for the adhesive to wear off. That stuff is strong.

Hoping today is easier. On the walker front. Think it’s very interesting that Europe uses crutches after THR. If I were doing this again, think I’d go that route. A slumped body is hard on everything. Please be careful!! ❤️

Well, it's Day 6 and not feeling great physically (when exactly does that kick in?!!) but attitude is still determinedly more positive. I have a friend and her mom bringing me lunch today (my husband will escape for an hour and hit the gym) so I'm determined to clean myself up a bit (ooh, maybe even a bra today!) and put on a cheerful face. When I think about it, despite how easy it is to crawl back into the pity party corner, I realize that I'm pretty fortunate. Sure, I feel like a sore and swollen mess, but I am getting better with time (I'm believing this even if it doesn't seem like it's happening) and within a few weeks things should definitely be looking up. My friend's mother, unfortunately, is having chemo and has been sick with various cancers the last few years. Her outlook is bleak and yet she always exudes a calm, positive attitude when I've been with her. If she can keep her chin up and smile, so can I!. My husband will set our dining table with some pretty reproduction Spode salad plates and cloth napkins, and I always enjoy a pretty table even if it's just PB&J sandwiches.

I again skipped my second evening dose (well, really the 4:00 AM dose) of Tramadol and substituted extra strength Tylenol again. I was still able to get back to sleep after a bit (I hate this back sleeping but simply cannot sleep on my side--even turning onto my good hip makes the other one ache like the dickens) and although the sleep isn't very deep these days, I slept until almost 7:30! And it's nice not looking at my hideous scar when I wake up as it's now covered with a surgical pad. So, after a few morning emails I will hobble into the bathroom and begin the long process of converting ratty, bedhead me into some semblance of "fit for company" me. Onwards, I say, onwards! Aren't I doing a good job of channeling positivity? :egypdance:

You are doing a fantastic job of channeling positivity !! I think at 6 days I was still pretty miserable and in a lot of pain and it is hard to see that it will end. Did you have glue with your last hip?

I talked to a neighbour yesterday who has kidney cancer. Puts my woes into perspective and it is amazing how folk facing huge adversity are so inspirational in their demeanour. Enjoy your meal and your company today!

Hi, @Fiona444. I didn’t have glue last time and was super shocked when I saw my grisly scar for the first time post surgery. I think I had dissolvable stitches last time with a bandage over it. Seeing the incision through clear glue strip was sobering! Of course, now it looks worse with all those blisters but it’s covered with a pad for now.

Last edited:
Glad you had a better day, wonder what your favorite go to perfume was?

Hi, there @CricketHip Not sure whether this was an idle musing or real question, but in the event of the latter, it was Jo Malone's "Basil and Neroli", a lovely Christmas gift from my husband. I'd like to say he picked it out totally on his own, but some less than subtle nudging in the Nordstrom perfume section got the job done! I think it's a lovely scent.

My friend's mother, unfortunately, is having chemo and has been sick with various cancers the last few years. Her outlook is bleak and yet she always exudes a calm, positive attitude when I've been with her. If she can keep her chin up and smile, so can I!

At times I feel these situations are devinely orchestrated for our benefit. Or happenstance. It serves a purpose whichever. With perfect timing, it puts things into perspective.
Enjoy lunch and your time creating new memories with friends! :)
@Barbaraj

It was a sincere question and I love the name of it! Ill have to look for it..Im very sensitive to strong scents and am always looking for something I can handle. The basil part makes it sound hopeful. How are you doing today, my brave friend? Opps! edited to say that I just scrolled up and found your report!! yes channeling great positivity. :heehee:@Barbaraj

This image, of you at your pretty table, socializing with friends who have much to offer, seems just right. Well done, @Barbaraj ! I see that as the days go by, you become more and more adept at finding some source of joy in them - and so whatever’s going on with that leg is just a little less important for a while. Yes. I like it!

maybe even a bra today!)

I didn't bother with a bra till day 8! :giggle:.

it's nice not looking at my hideous scar when I wake up

Totally understand!! . I had an aquacell bandage over mine till my 2 week wound check, thank god! So glad I didn't have to face it before then. :scary:I also liked having a bandage over it because it stopped clothing catching on it and sort of padded the whole area. My incision area was definitely THE most uncomfortable part of my post op process all the way to 6 or 7 weeks.

And... love love LOVE Jo Malone's fragrances! Her candles are fab too.

@Barbaraj You're doing what you need to do to keep your head in the right place to cope with the mass of physical stuff we have to go through in recovery. Remember: "fake it till you make it"! :egypdance:

Okay, it's day 7 so I'm officially at the end of my first recovery week. Still not feeling great but trying to remember that I felt a lot worse earlier in this one week period so there has been progress. And while you couldn't say my gait is pretty and my hip/thigh are still aching, I am not using anything to help me when I get up and move about. I really feel quite steady on my pins which is very nice. I am in our study, just off our master bedroom and bath, as our housekeeping woman is here making the place clean and I want to stay out of her way. I have access to my laptop and the broken recliner so I'm well set up for a few hours. My husband, although a wonderful nurse and good at keeping things mostly tidy, hasn't been swabbing out toilets, or vacuuming/damp mopping floors. So I think he'll be pleased when he gets home around noon today.

Yesterday's lunch went well. It felt good to get tidied up and not looking like such a rumpled invalid for my friends' arrival. They brought a lovely tomato bisque soup and some chicken orzo salad for lunch. After some preliminary inquiries about my hip and how I was doing, we easily segued into other, more interesting topics and it was a nice lunch with lots of good chatter and laughter. After they left I was going to take a nap, but never got around to it. However, I reassured myself that without an afternoon nap I'd probably sleep better. Well, didn't happen--lay awake for what felt like hours last night despite the usual dependable dose of nighttime Tramadol. Maybe tonight I'll conk out more easily--I feel like the song from the musical "Annie", about tomorrow ("the sun will come out tomorrow") being another brighter day--need to hold on to that hope.

Got a call from my surgeon's office with new instructions about treating these blisters. Tomorrow I'm supposed to heavily coat the glue strip with Vaseline, wait 10 minutes and then PEEL IT OFF! I am already getting nervous about this, anticipating that it's going to hurt like heck. Has anyone had to peel off a glue strip before and, if so, how bad was it? I'd love someone to tell me that it's no big deal! After removing the glue strip, I'm supposed to shower and wash the area gently, and then cover again with a dry pad dressing. My two week check in appointment is next Tuesday so I'm hoping they'll look at it and I'll not have to do anything further because it will be looking so much better. Fingers and toes crossed!

A friend is dropping by this afternoon around 2:00 and I'm expecting my husband home around noon, in time for lunch and then a shower, always a big production in these early days, so I'll be clean and tidy before my friend's visit. So, another exciting (not...) day here in recovery but the sun is out today, although not broilingly hot like last Sunday so it's a mood booster. Cheers, all!

@Barbaraj This all sounds great (although I get it that you're nervous about that glue strip maneuver). Are you walking around with no aids at this point? I do so inside part of the time but continue to use the cane because my gait is better with it than without--op side is just still too weak.

Sounds like you're getting some good social time with friends. Do you have a way to get outside in the nice weather?

@Barbaraj you're doing well at trying to stay positive, though we all know that can be tough early on. Can't believe you're walking without assistance. I'm still using the walker for the most part but am counter surfing quite a bit. At least when hubby isn't in view!
:heehee:

Hello @Barbaraj You are doing amazingly well!! It’s only been a week and you have dropped most of your pain meds and cane! Very inspiring. I did have to remove glue and like you was pretty squeamish about it. It wasn’t as bad as I imagined and your scar will improve drastically over the next few weeks. Very early days. :flwrysmile:

You are doing amazingly well @Barbaraj. only a week out and doing all the things like showers, visitors and looking human :loll:That is much more than I could manage at that time. In fact i was still in bed nearly all the time. Keep up the great work and before you know it all this wii be behind you

Hoping that removing the glue is just a breeze and painless for you. And I hope that the scar heals nicely and you move easily into the next phase of healing. That is so wonderful that you are already walking without assistance. Bravo!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom