THR Here We Go Again!

Morning Barbara...how you doing ??...back at home ??...and hopefully just enjoying the moment...all the pre OP worries over.. remember feeling l was in a bit of a bubble with all the drugs etc....have a lovely pain free day...:flwrysmile:

Well done @Barbaraj ! All sounding very satisfactory but take those painkillers! Did you have an adjustable bed? I really missed that when I got home. They're obsessive over here about measuring liquids in and out! Something to do with low blood pressure? Who knows. Have blanked it all from my mind. As you will.
Don't let them discharge you until you're ready. It can be a bit lonely and scary at home for a day or two without nurses and physios bustling round and checking all your vital signs and more plus popping the pills every 4 hours. I'm sure in a matter of days you'll be wondering why you waited to have it done.

@Going4fun exactly the same for me. I still think about my hip but mainly how different things are from this time last year when I was wincing every time we drove over potholes and the lack of sleep etc. Trying to lose weight now as I feel that I owe myself and the NHS a duty to do do and no more excuses!

@Barbaraj hope things are continuing to go well for you.
I read some horrible article recently @SurreyGirl where the research shows a huge proportion of those undergoing THR put on weight! Was too depressed to see whether they ever lost it. My legs are dimpled tree trunks and the rest of me is no better. Double chin? Triple chin plus a gnarled neck. Probably a good sign of recovery that I'm worried about my appearance I suppose...:bawl:

@Barbaraj So happy for you that you passed the big event with flying colors. I hope that you are sleeping well at the moment, getting some strength for recovery. You've done this before and done it well and with a great attitude. We are all thinking of you, particularly those of us who have learned from your helpful and supportive posts.

Okay, I am sitting at my desk on the computer, and feeling much better than I did last night or early this morning. I felt absolutely overwhelmed when I got home from the hospital yesterday. I had slept so poorly on Wednesday night, and this fatigue combined with "log leg" and a somewhat painful log leg this time, I was a mess. I tottered upstairs and took a two hour nap, and then in late afternoon came downstairs, under my husband's close supervision, and ate dinner--reheated minestrone soup (homemade, so the good stuff) along with a slice of buttered homemade bread. Then back upstairs and lay in bed (trying to ice a lot) and watched a bit of TV, and fell asleep again. Woke up around 9:30 and watched a bit of the news and then at 11:00, popped a baby aspirin (which is again my blood thinner medication) and a Tramadol.

Having had an unsuccessful experience sleeping on my good side in the hospital, I didn't even bother to try it again last night, and instead lay on my back. I did get to sleep, but woke up a couple of times with sore heels and the need to pee from all this water I've been guzzling. Took another Tramadol at 5:00 AM (sensibly set my alarm this time) and then drifted in and out of sleep for another hour and a half, waking up to an aching back. Good grief, I really HATE back sleeping!

My husband cheerfully told me I looked like "death warmed over" this morning and, boy, I was moving so slow, grunting and groaning at the effort. It feels like my whole lower half of my body has been rammed by a giant truck or something. After a morning latte and a small portion of yummy prunes (think: giant, soft raisins!), I took a short walk down the upstairs hall way and back, then brushed my teeth and splashed water on my face, and also changed out of the grubby top on which I'd spilled coffee. I think these small actions have made a difference in my mental attitude, at least for the moment. As with childbirth, I'm guessing I forgot all about these less than fun (like ROTTEN?!!) first few days, the exhaustion and what feels like a huge amount of exertion to do even the smallest activity!

I once again tried elevating my legs while lying in bed and it's still a big pain, I can't seem to get it right and it's a hassle with those slippery pillows not exactly doing a great job of elevating. Slowly trying to figure out meds and think I'll try to stick with the extra strength Tylenol and the Tramadol rather than that miserable oxy which makes me feel like a foggy headed dope! Don't really love the Tramadol either, but it's better than oxy and, yes, I know ('cause I've preached it to so many others myself, and have read about it on other forum postings) that controlling pain is critical for recovery. For me it's always going to be a battle trying to find a balance: pain relief but not so much that I'm in a complete brain fog all the time. I'm willing to put up with some discomfort (she said to herself confidently at the moment) if I can keep a clearer head.

Hubby is off to the gym (so jealous) so I'm trying to get up and do a few things in his absence like tidy up my bedside table which has way too much "stuff" on it and, as with hip #1, clutter makes me crazy and grumpy. I watched three hours of the "Today Show" this morning, hating that mindless TV is gonna be taking over my life for awhile, but I can't seem to concentrate on reading. I read a page or two on my Kindle and tossed it aside. Argh! First full day home and I am trying to stay positive.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, you've made me think back to my first few days. You know it's going to get better, but it is really hard the first week. Even the second week you are pretty much stuck. Hang in there. Better days coming. ♥️

Ohh your first days back so resembled mine. All those horrible memories came flooding back, the trying to get comfy, the pillows under legs, the broken sleep and the endless round of meds. You are doing great and once you are over the next day or two you will be flying....well kinda :heehee:

@Barbaraj Mindless TV - about the only thing you can concentrate on in these early days. Anything to let you fall asleep for just a few minutes. You are on your way. Patience my friend. I remember how frustrating my second recovery was. Lots of bad language and throwing things. This too shall pass!

@Barbaraj
I think you’re doing great for it being so early since your operation. It’s only been a couple of days! Patience becomes the mantra.

I’ve been watching your second surgery with great interest as my second is a week from Tuesday. I vividly remember those early days and how tough they were. That’s what pushed me into getting the other hip done so soon. It hurts and I didn’t see any point in putting it off and worrying about the second surgery.

I was only able to sleep somewhat decently when on my fairly hard couch with many pillows propping up my legs. This time I’m going to use the Lounge Doctor that I eventually bought. You might want to check into that. It kept me on my back and still gave me some support. It also kept swelling down as it puts you toes above nose. The only chair I could comfortably sit in is one of my dining room captain chairs with the arms. It was perfect. I had the posterior approach and sitting is a real problem. I’m not sure how that works with yours.

I also can’t understand how someone would take the very strong opioids except to control severe pain. I did use them for the first few weeks and I plan on doing that again. Better fog than that amount of pain. Last time i reduced by taking fewer pills over longer hours. It just kind of stopped on its own. Both oxy and Tramadol make me groggy but they do help me sleep which is so important in recovery.

❤️

@Barbaraj glad you are home, sorry you had a rough night, those first couple nights are rough. Ah yes, mindless TV, what a great sleeping pill. Hopefully the rough patch clears out soon and you get back to a little more yourself.

Hang in there, @Barbaraj we're all rooting for you. With my surgery 10 days away, I so appreciate the moment by moment honest account of your progress. While I hope for a pain-free and quick recovery, I hear your realistic descriptions and think, okay, I can do that. Even in your struggle, you're showing me the way forward. Thank you.

I so enjoy your unique brand of self-talk: “think: giant soft raisins!” And I admire you more than I can say for those positive habits of mind. They are so much a part of who you are - look, you can effectively rely on them even when you look like “death warmed over” and “feel like you’ve been rammed by a truck”! :) I remember how thoughtfully you tucked that wonderful soup into your freezer ahead of need - so glad it welcomed you home. I know you’ll find the adjustments to sleep and medication and activity that will make this recovery a great success, now that it’s clear this hip has a mind of its own.

I have to put giant soft raisins on the list! I am still looking forward to whatever the op brings including the brain fog after.. I had no trouble after TKR so here is hoping.. My TKR was only months after the five months of brain fog brought on by chemo so I don't remember it being so bad.. Maybe cause the fog from painkillers could only get better. The more chemo I had the worse it got.. I eventually discontinued chemo and my doc was unhappy.. But I am still cancer free.

Man I hope my hip heals as my knee so I can swim before the water gets cold.. My knee incision closed entirely at 12 days

Here is to ever better nights!

As I saw on your post a wish for things to get better, @Cecropia, I thought to myself, "from your mouth to god's ears". I know intellectually it WILL get better but it's hard when I'm feeling so exhausted and uncomfortable. But I do know from recovery round 1 that things do improve with time, and even reading other's postings where folks had way worse first week experiences than I am having, they all recovered in time. I am sticking to that vision!

Thanks, @ceezee, for gently reminding me why I take these opioids. They do help me sleep, although I continue to intensely dislike the brain fog effect. I haven't taken any oxy (didn't even fulfill the prescription they gave me as I still had some left over from hip #1) but I have to have the Tramadol at night. I think you're smart to go ahead with a second surgery now and get it over with. As badly as I'm feeling right now, I know if I waited until I was really incapacitated it would be worse--no use putting off the inevitable. I hope you do great on the 30th. Like me, you know what to expect although I would suggest that you, like me, have probably buried the real awfulness of it in the back of your mind! But I consider you, and everyone who is opting for hip replacement, as tough and strong! Nobody ever "forces" you to have surgery so choosing to do something like this takes a resolute and tough gal approach.

And @Elf1 and @enoughpain, thanks for the encouraging messages! Just knowing folks care enough to stop by my thread and post some kind words makes me a bit weepy almost. Everyone has been so sweet, and I am very appreciative. I am not sure I am a terrific role model, @enoughpain, but having you say that to me makes me sit a little straighter in my chair and resolve not to whine so much. I know this first week is the pits but I also know "this too shall pass" and with every week that passes it will get better. I hope you have a pain-free recovery, although mine isn't pain free--it's manageable and as I rise from sitting on the edge of the bed, tighten my core and pull my chin up I realize that I've got this. I can do this, and so can you!

And @Ptarmigan, how nice that you think my positive (well, sort of positive snarky) comments are enjoyable. This first week is just hard, as I suspect it is for everyone (except for that anonymous person you sometimes hear about who had no pain, kicked meds to the curb on day 3 and was back golfing in four!)

And, @Jaycey, how nice to read you got frustrated with the second go-around, too, and bad language and throwing things must have been satisfying even if it didn't make things easier. I'd do that too but I have a huge incentive to try to be a model patient as I'm so grateful for my husband's care. I just woke up from another 2 hour nap (who am I?!) and while sleep is restorative I almost feel more exhausted when I wake up, groggy and slow. But, one day at a time, one step at a time, eye on the prize, etc.

Last edited:
while sleep is restorative I almost feel more exhausted when I wake up, groggy and slow
You have been through major trauma. At this stage groggy and slow is normal. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know! Onward and upward @Barbaraj !

Remember it's just 72 hours since your 'controlled trauma' called a THR. I was discharged from hospital on day 3 morning. Went to bed and didn't surface till the next day! That first week was rough but as you know it gets better very quickly. You did great prep beforehand and have an attentive hubby so I'm confident you'll be looking gorgeous and zooming around really soon! :spin:

Oh forgot to say I bought a fairly easy large print crossword book that kept me occupied in hospital and those first sleepless weeks at home. I could pick it up and put it down, and it kept the brain cells going yet wasn't too mentally challenging. You are a woman of exceptional vocabulary so might do the trick for you too? Cheers.

Good morning @Barbaraj

You sound like you have a wonderful hubby. So glad you have someone to watch over you this first few weeks.

It is encouraging to read others stories. Especially when in pain, as you can see them recover and know you will too with a big dose of patience. I watched a lot of mindless TV. Could not focus on reading. Even holding a book seemed like work. Lol

Hoping this second hip heals quicker than the first and that this is all a distant memory. ❤️

Morning @Barbaraj. The mind fog from oxy is a small price for me. So is the dull ache in my head like a mild hang over. I have found there was a lot I had forgotten from the first hip. I'm just starting to sleep 4hrs stretches instead of 2hrs. Yesterday was my first day on my own due to the heat is hard on Deb. Tv is my only distraction so far however I'll gear up to word puzzles and drawing soon. At this point I could look like death warmed over I don't care. I don't like messy tables either however I can do organize cludder. As long as I can find what I want when I want it, like "now". Sounds like a pretty good first week for you. I didn't get the dishes done last night like I wanted, i pooped out. When I get bored with tv or sitting I just take a nap. You've got this even if it's a little different from first round. We've just got to twick the game plan here and there. I'm going to take my coffee outside even if it's just 10 minutes. Let up off yourself, this is temporary. Remember, it's all good even when it's not. :friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom