THR Here We Go Again!

Hey, @mainegirl1, no selfies for this haggard old broad! And I didn’t jilt you, I just am taking the lead to show you how it’s done! And I again had a spinal and it worked wonderfully, a small prick and then lovely “happy juice” for peaceful oblivion for a couple hours, before a gradual wake up but in recovery. Feeling alert and bored (hence posting madly) and just feeling achy/uncomfortable which is manageable for me.

Hi , @Ptarmigan, hubby supplied me that essential latte (even lukewarm I slugged it down) but hospital provides the fruit and cheese plate as a lunch offering which is perfect for lunch into afternoon grazing!

Nurse came in to take vitals and introduce herself (shift change) and she told me that so far I haven’t been given any opioids, just Tylenol and Celebrex! No wonder I am a bit achy! I will take the heavy duty stuff tonight along with a walk before bedtime to tire me out. Will feel a bit wobbly and fuddled in the morning as a result but know it will help me sleep so I am willing to live with that. Gosh , just a few more weeks and you’ll be writing a very similar post! Happy Wednesday!

Last edited:
Ah Celebrex.. the happy pill. I took one that was prescribed before TKR . Just one was prescribed. I got up at five am scrubbed the kitchen floor on hands and knees and then reported to the hospital saying I did not need a knee replacement..

Uh huh.. They said "everyone says that"

I go for pre op Mon.. at least it is the home stretch.. Unfortunately the pain is now horrid on rising from seated.

@Barbaraj You sound like my daughter. She had her gall bladder out outpatient.. Her list for that day included
Get up
No breakfast
Get rid of the gall bladder
Pick up a quart of milk on the way home.

Your day included:
Get up early
No breakfast
Trade in the hip for a new one
Have a cheese and fruit board and latte...

Rest .

What no bon bons?

@Barbaraj Totally appreciate all the medication details! Way to support a hipsister! :) FYI: I met with my PCP today and he had only good news for me about pain management - so happy about this - and it really helps he had ACL surgery in the last year, so could personally relate. @mainegirl1 Celebrex is on my “menu” too - I love hearing about how well it worked for you! So, fingers crossed you get your beauty sleep tonight, Barbaraj!

@Barbaraj Glad to see you posting. And you sound very positive even tho aching right now. Sounds like you have things under control having had experience, I don't think they will be able to slip anything by you that you don't want.
I did not sleep too well that first night, not because of pain but because I had to pee so much. Slept 2 hours at a time only and then rang for nurse to go potty. Was glad when they quit pumping water into me. :yes: Night.....:sleep:♥️

Great news from your PCP, @Ptarmigan! I think it is key to have lots of options for patients in terms of pain relief. My preference is for lighter weight meds plus ice during the day but stronger stuff initially at night when lying flat and having nothing to focus on besides your aching, sore hip is a recipe for terrible sleep! I will be interested to read what your experiences will be!

hello, hello! Welcome to the other side... again! You sound great and I hope your night goes as planned.
it's so good to see you posting and posting quite lucidly. Congrats, friend! :flwrysmile:

Great news about how well you are doing plus lovely munchies. Soon you will be home in your comfortable space and able to relax even more.

Welcome @Barbaraj to the healing side--
Now officially a matched set!
Sounds like you're doing wonderfully well. I was so sick after I didn't eat all day the day of. Going to try to do better next time and tell anesthesia I need a patch for nausea or something.
Congrats on making this milestone and looking forward to hearing your recovery story!

Thanks, @ahipgma. It’s around 8:30 at night as I’m writing this, the end of long, tiring day. Husband just left a few minutes ago, he’s exhausted too as he was up with me at 4:30 this morning. So far I’be avoided taking the “hard stuff” (oxy) and stuck with extra strength Tylenol and Celebrex. Gotta day that oxy is better for full pain relief and I will definitely be taking that at bedtime. But the discomfort I am experiencing is a deep ache and soreness which is manageable when I am distracted during the day (friends, family, Bonesmart) business won’t be tolerable at night!

Sorry you were so nauseous last time—a general anesthesia? I actually had a pretty good appetite today so I was able to eat both lunch and dinner, no problem. Hope next anesthesia experience you get anti nausea meds added to your drug cocktail and you’re not so sick,

Hi @Cecropia—just about time for me ring the nurse bell again for a pee break! Guzzling lots of water today, per directions, plus the fluids the are undoubtedly pumping into me, and it is annoying—such a major production to get out of bed and totter a few feet to the bathroom, trailing an IV stand along the way! But the day almost over and—yippee—home tomorrow!!

@Barbaraj ! :wave:
Great to see you! Sounds like everything is going really well so far and you are taking it all in your stride. Hope you have a peaceful night, ready for home tomorrow.

@Barbaraj Hooray! You did it! So happy to see your posts full of positive news. Hoping things continue to go up from here.

Glad everything went well and you're on top of all the details (pain and peeing seem to be the major things the first 48 hours!). Wishing you home in your own nest soon. :yes!:

I popped on here tonight to see if you had felt well enough to post anything, and lo and behold, I found that you were holding court.....posting all day long, and staying on top of everything! I am so relieved to hear your first day went so smoothly. :loveshwr:

Like several others have reported, the nausea really slammed me, and the fact that all I could take was Tylenol and Tramadol for pain kept me from managing those first days as well as I'd have liked! Already you have one day down---and home tomorrow---well, actually home today.....I am writing this at 1:20 Colorado time---12:20 AM your time!:heehee: There is nothing like being in your own home/chair/bed! You will do great. :flwrysmile:

Welcome to the other side! You sound great - hope you are getting some much needed rest.

I'll leave your reading list here for you to refer to if needed.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello @Barbaraj ! Wonderful to see you all through this and smiling as usual! And no strong pain meds?? That is amazing and I hope that it continues for you. I cannot imagine not having the big guns to start. I will definitely have a spinal when my next one is done! I hope you had a peaceful night and released tomorrow to start your recovery

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom