Here we go again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Maeve Welcome to the knee side. Sorry your knee is collapsing on you. Hopefully time will go by quickly until your surgery date.

Unfortunately no @Jane B. ,my OS is "overseas". for two weeks. My op on 9 Oct is his first available op date! What godly power these OS seem to have! We have to patiently wait for them to deign to give us an operating date,!
Oh dear, I'm feeling very fragile tonight . Hate the waiting! Can almost physically feel my muscles atrophying as I wait.
Had dinner tonight with some very close friends. The original plan was to meet at a local Rowing Club on the water, nice bistro, great harbour views! But...my mobility is so compromised at the moment..knee just collapses without warning, even on two crutches, so dinner at our place was the best option.
Funnily, if I am standing the knee behaves... So lots of cooking! A vert nice Chicken and Chorizo bake, a Greek salad and Sage potatoes. Very nicely accompanied by a very nice Chardonnay and the option of a nice, full bodied Shiraz. Lovely.
Only problem is if I sit for dinner my knee just locks/ freezes and I could barely hobble to the door to bid farewell. So now I'm curled up in bed with a heat pd hoping the muscles, tendons or whatever loosen up!
This is no life !!! I need to really get some positivity going for the next three weeks while I wait for the op!
As someone who is always on the go I am really struggling! Frustrated and depressed in equal measures!

@Maeve Sounds like you made a wonderful dinner! I hate that you have to wait so long when you are having so much pain and problems. Each day brings you closer.

Your dinner is making me hungry. Hope the three weeks flys by, and that your surgeon will be refreshed, recharged and ready to go after his vacation.

Has anyone needed to resort to using a wheelchair during the pre op wait. I got my husband to hire a lighting one today thinking it will give me some freedom to go out to appointments. I have the cardiologist/ physician on Mon and need to get to the hairdresser and a dental check up. I will only use it for outings and use the crutches at home so the muscles and tendons etc keep moving!Hope I've done the right thing ?? I just couldn't see myself managing without it!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oops not a lighting one....a lightweight one!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Maeve If it makes life easier go for it. Just make sure your muscles get some exercising though!

Well, I seem to be responding to other threads and neglecting to update my own!
Still Groundhog Day here. SO!!!!over the immobility of hobbling from bed to couch and never knowing when my knee will just not like the angle I stand up with and just collapse under me. Crutches mean at least I can get some mobility but it's so limited. 6 weeks of this has just about done me in!
Enough of the moaning! At least when I check in next Thursday for the surgeryI will be so happy to be there I'll high five anyone in sight! Who ever would have thought I would be looking forward to surgery...go figure!
At least I have had time to get all the post op props ready and the gear to take to hospital and to have pre packed a bag for my husband to bring when I transfer to the Rehab section.
The other plus is I've been there...done that! Same hospital, same surgeon, same Rehab Unit ...and couldn't fault any part of it!
Except of course it was for a THR and I know that's a very different ballgame!
I've spent a lot of time on Bonesmart trawling the Recovery threads and have found some positive role models ...I find some of the threads quite depressing so I needed to focus on the more upbeat so @marmora and @warriors42 , you're it!! Lol.
I do understand that every recovery is different and some people have real problems and need the support of Bonesmart so I'm not being flippant about that...just my personality copes better with a challenge to make this recovery as quick as possible...wherever I can impact on that by my proactive approach that's what I plan to do!
Remind me now...when I get into a ditch...of my cavalier statements in this post!
Anyway, I have a mini team/cheersquad going into this. @TeeEm and @mystikfairy61! Sort of like the three Muskateers!
@TeeEm and I had our THR's 5 days apart in 2013 and swapped our hints and experiences through that. We now celebrate how great our hips are and look forward to doing the same this time!
Well, that was quite a soapbox oratory you all say ...and I know there's a rollercoaster road ahead.
That's life!

@Maeve there really are a bunch of good recovery threads on here. My hubby's first knee was amazing, and his second was more normal. His knees before TKR were starting to go out on him, almost dropping him. He is just thrilled to have 2 stable knees now, it is worth any pain from healing. The healing pain is going away. Your journey with your new Knee is almost here you will be amazed at how stable your new knee will be. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

You asked about wheelchair.. Through my own fault of putting off surgery, and then having to cancel three, yes I used a wheelchair for about a year.. I only used it when out shopping and felt very guilty about my daughter having to push me around in it, but not guilty enough to sit home all the time.:heehee: The rest of the time I went from chair to chair to bed to chair to couch back to chair.. That was my life for quite a period of time. My muscles got weak from nonuse, but they came back after surgery. You will be fine.. Rememer the waiting is one of the hardest parts for most of us. :flwrysmile:

Well, I think they call this the penultimate day! The countdown is ending. Just got a call from the Admissions but will find out check in time and fasting time tomorrow when the surgery list is finalised. The system for admission is really a 'drop off' husband will hand me and my little bag over. He will be told the room number for after surgery! Then I stay in a sort of "waiting room' where all the prop ablutions etc are done and the anaesthetist visits. I have asked for something for premed as I found it a bit confronting last time to be wheeled in wide awake and alert ith a panoramic view of all the machinery and then was seated on the edge of the operating table for the spinal! I'd like it a bit less than crystal clear this time!
I have also requested the same room as last time for Rehab. I was in a 'spillover' ward a floor above the rehab ward and it was peaceful with bigger, newly painted, sunnier rooms. As the beds on this floorr are only ever used for day eye surgery it was never crowded so the staff were less rushed.
Looks like they can accomodate that request! Good!

Now all that's left apart from packing, is a hobble from car to manicurist to have my lovelly biogel removed and a manicure and pedicure!

My grandaughter lent me her Ipad pillow yesterday and it's great for in bed. ipad slots into a frame on a mini beanbag.
@TeeEm , my partner in recovery is one day ahead of me so I wish her well. We will join up again on the other side!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question? I notice there is acomment at the end of my last thread...Last edited by a moderator: Yesterday at 10.53am??
The question is Why?? And what was edited??

Good luck, @Maeve !!! Fingers crossed for you.

@TeeEm ... I hope this finds you okay. Wondering if you will be wearing the wonderful Teds stockings. There was a discussion of them on Jaycey's post-op thread for Hip Number Two.

Took a while for me to find your thread,
Many many threads here!

I am very humbled to be included as anything like a role model.
Certainly dont feel like that. Just a person trying to reclaim something like a normal life.
Been thirty years downhill for me until the tkr.

I certainly hope you exceed my recovery, and find a new lease of life.
I agree that a positive approach is needed, otherwise you will be discouraged very quickly.
It is not pain free, and not issue free.

But one of the best things I have done for myself.
I dont think it is a surgery of last resort.
It has been a godsend for me. And my family.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back