THR Here I go again!

@julesglass , glad to hear that your recovery is moving forward, what pain level do you have when resting and moving? I decided I rather deal with some pain than the side effects of taking the heavy pain meds.
When is your bandage coming off? I believe you have the waterproof type, Aquacel Surgical Dressing?

Last edited:
Going two days without pain pills pain was at a 3 resting up to a 5 moving so did very little moving. With pain pill in affect now pain is a 1 resting and maybe a 3 moving. It's best to keep the pain way down to be able to get moving more easily and to sleep better. I'm one that doesn't like killing pain if it's just annoying, however recovering from surgery it is a must to exercise the muscles to heal properly. That's the way I look at it with the oxycodone. As I progress I'll test and see how long I can go between pills to start cutting back on them. This is what separate those who need them from those who don't. Again my way of thinking... they do mess with my thinking however I'd rather be a little loopy than not able to reach my goal with a good stride. Hope you are able to keep your pain down without them so you too will move ahead with a good stride.

I'm one that doesn't like killing pain if it's just annoying, however recovering from surgery it is a must to exercise the muscles to heal properly.

I understand this isn't your first rodeo but please be careful. I'm not certain what you mean by exercise. You really don't need to exercise at this point. Heal first, exercise later. Now that you're feeling better I'd hate to see you sidelined in the ODIC.

Proceed slowly...you're only one week post-op and don't need to be doing much more than taking a few
5-10 minute walks around the house which can usually be accomplished with bathroom trips, or trips to the kitchen to grab a beverage or light snack. Your recovery / your way, just want you to be ok.
@julesglass

Oh I forgot @SelfHelp, I go on the 25th to have main bandage off. There is a lighter one under it that will just fall off. Doc does the "super glue" instead of staples.

Oh no worries @Layla. I don't do any "exercising" I walk paying close attention to my feet going straight and as smooth and slowly to naturally bring muscles back in to health. I hope I don't steer anyone the wrong way with the wording I use. When in doubt always ask, thank you.

Good to know :thumb: We just worry about our peeps! :wink:
Have a good one!
@julesglass

Happy you got some sleep, of course you already know how helpful that can be. Good that you finally got the new meds, they will come in handy. Picked up my new script today as well. Hope things start looking up a bit more for you, you've just been having a crappy time with this. Hugs, hope you get more sleep tonight.
:console2:

So sweet! I always say that this surgery gives us an appreciation for so many things we took for granted before our hip began deteriorating. I'm happy that you were able to sleep in your bed again @julesglass
Wishing you many, many nights of blissful slumber :yawn: :sleep:
Have a great Thursday!

So awesome that you made it to your bed and got some decent sleep, that makes everything so much more doable!

@julesglass
I never tried side sleeping on my incision until week 6. I think it was about week 4 that I tried on my good side with a pillow between my legs. It kind of tugs on the incision, but was comfortable, although it bothered my knee because I tend to pull my knee up. I slept on my incision just last night, but only for awhile. It feels weird yet.

It's been good day. Napped in my lovely bed. Had a scare with the a/c, called service to check it out. Of course this happens after hrs. It's fine, just over worked with hot weather. Hope you all are staying cool and rested.

It's nice to read you had a good day. You're definitely enjoying being back in your bed. Can't say I blame you after all the nights you spent in the recliner. Thankfully your AC is working and you're able to stay cool in the heat many of us are in the midst of. Best wishes for a great weekend!
@julesglass

Morning to all! I was able to make coffee this morning. I've been sleeping good, 4hr stretches. I watched a pbs show about the 8 day trip to the moon. Very well put together with old tv footage along with reenactments. As I watched I was thinking about being a child of 11yrs old at that time. Then I thought about what I have seen in my life. Saw the Beatles first appearance in the States, man on the moon. Others I haven't thought of yet along with having a phone with a camera, calculater and a computer that fits in my hip pocket. Then my thoughts turned to be able to have man-made parts attached to my bones so I can continue to function. It is amazing my friends.

Things sound like they're looking up for you, @julesglass--nice to read. It's just day two for me, first full day home from the hospital. I felt awful and muddle headed yesterday so I've decided to pretend it didn't happen (and focus on today forward). Felt light-headed and weak this morning, poor sleep plus that drugged feeling you get from narcotics. Like so many others, I wonder how anyone could get addicted to those. Sure, they do work well for physical pain, but the side effects like constipation and fog brain are so unpleasant. Your TV watching is more high minded than mine--three solid hours of the Today Show this morning, not that great--but can't read yet due to fatigue and lack of focus. But every day it's going to get better, we all know that and need to cling to this, otherwise we'd be soggy puddles of self-pity, especially early on. Hang in there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back