Here I go again!!!

ArmyVet

Country
United States United States
Had a TKR in my right knee 51 weeks ago. Yes, you read that right, one week less than a year!! I started feeling pain in my new knee in November, and it's progressively gotten worse. It seems I am one of the few that have developed an osteolysis very quickly after replacment, and I will need a revision. Just not sure how soon that will be yet, as the doc took fluid out of my knee yesterday, and we have to wait 14 days for complete results. Right now, doc says we have two ways... if the knee is infected, I go and have the revision. If it's NOT infected, I have a bone scan first, then the revision!!!

I am still coming to grips with the fact that I will have to go through this process again so soon after the first one, but I KNOW I can do it, and I know what to do and when to do it, thanks to all the nice people here who prepared me for the first one!!!

I think I might be one of the crazy ones, though, because as soon as I got home from the doc, I got on you tube and watched a revision surgery. I think I'm only comfortable with it because I know I will be asleep for the whole thing!!!

Hello @ArmyVet- and :welome:

Do you have a date yet for your knee replacement? IF so, please will you tell us the full date, so we can add it to your signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is some helpful pre-op reading:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@Celle - no confirmed date yet. Waiting for the results of my aspiration to come back(no later than May 7).

I do have a question for those that have had a revision.

How long can I expect to be in the hospital after surgery? Is it like the original TKR, where I just had to stay overnight, or is it longer?? Trying to plan for hubby to take the least time off work while I am in hospital...

Usually, the length of hospital stay for a revision is about the same as for a primary knee replacement, unless the revision is more complicated than expected.

Usually, the length of hospital stay for a revision is about the same as for a primary knee replacement, unless the revision is more complicated than expected.
Hallelujah!! I can't imagine spending more than one night in there!! They don't let you sleep!!!

UPDATE for today: My doctor's office called today, and told me that my knee was NOT infected. So that hurdle is done. Now we will schedule a 3 part bone scan before setting the surgery date.

Your surgeon is being thorough and no doubt you will end up with a good outcome. Although the process is a little bewildering just when you thought you were like so many others doing the jig with their new knee! Hang in there.

3 phase bone scan is tomorrow morning. Supposedly, he will have the results in 24 hours or so, which means I should have some sort of answer about when I can schedule surgery this week!! I know it sounds odd, but I would just rather get it taken care of quickly, so I don't overthink it too much. I've already watched a revision surgery on youtube!! LOL.. And why is the pain worse now than before the FIRST replacement??

Bone Scan completed today, and results are IN!!! Tibial component is loose and revision will happen. Waiting now on surgery scheduler to schedule revision!!!

Best wishes!

I added my revision date to my signature. They called and offered me May 15, or May 22. I picked the 22nd.. Too much to do between now and the 15th, so I needed the extra week to prepare..

Best of wishes for a healthy and speedy recovery! 2 weeks will fly by!

I'm sorry to read you need to have a revision. I hope it goes well.

My revision recovery was about the same as my recovery from the original surgery - but it did what it was meant to do. My revised knee is seven years old now, and it's working perfectly.

Am I strange that I am glad that my surgery date is really quick??? I don't have too much time to overthink and stress about it, and I think that's why I am so ready for this to happen!! I KNEW there was something wrong with it about 6 months after my surgery, but my surgeon's assistant didn't believe me at first until it showed up in the xray. I went to my preop the other day, and the nurse doing the info sheet was talking to me. She saw that I had just had this surgery last April, and then said, "we don't need to ask you any questions, unless there are any changes" and there were none. I asked if we could do the same anesthesia as last year-- that I didn't want to feel the needle go in my back-- but whatever they used last year was WONDERFUL!! She said if it worked then, they will use it again, so I am happy about that too!! Only 5 more days!!!

Glad you don't have long to wait but enough time to get ready.

Got a call this morning from my surgeon that the Veteran's Administration has DENIED my surgery today. So, after spending the last week in SCREAMING pain because they said no NSAIDs... I get to stay off of them until they hear back from the VA, because as soon as they get the OK, we are doing the surgery!! UGH!!

I will change my signature when I get the new date.

So sorry! Did they say why they denied?

@ArmyVet,
I'm so sorry! Hopefully they will get things worked out quickly and you will back on track. As a vet's wife though, I know that doesn't always happen. Hang in there :beg:

~Cynthia

@ArmyVet,
I'm so sorry! Hopefully they will get things worked out quickly and you will back on track. As a vet's wife though, I know that doesn't always happen. Hang in there :beg:

Cynthia
@Cynof4-- Oh, I know how to get stuff done at the VA!!! As soon as I got the call, I called Tri West, who does the community access program, and told them I needed this done ASAP, since the sooner it got done, the better for them AND ME!! I just got a call, and my surgery was approved!!! I just have to wait until Tuesday next week to schedule, as the nurse that does surgery scheduling is out until then!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie