TKR Here I go again!

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It's knee 2 the sequel! I'm hoping things will be more straightforward than the last time.
Am still in hospital but have been up and about (sort of!). Had bad reaction to meds but think I'm out of the woods. Here's hoping.

Hi, Spex10.....here's hoping you have the smoothest recovery ever! Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.

Welcome to recovery again, @Spex10 .

Here's your post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Yes, hoping this recovery is different for you, but this time around you’ll know what to do and expect.

It was almost worse this time because I did know what to expect. I've already refused to do some PT exercises (day 2, squats? I don't think so!)
However, I'm up and moving and today's another hospital day.

Squats on day 2? YIKES! Good for you for standing up for yourself :) :-) (:

I get the "know what to expect". Creds for moving forward. Not sure I could, even though its been great for me those first weeks were... You got this!

Well I had a different PT today. Boy oh boy he's good. Sensible and kind and gave me lots of useful top tips. Knee's like a football after it though!
Onwards. Home tomorrow.

Its like a football anyway. He immediately brought me ice and it subsided a bit. He massaged it again and its noticeably softer. I'm pretty pleased. He wants to leave it for 3 weeks with me only doing gentle heel slides etc nothing nasty! He's a gem. I said I wouldn't see anyone else but him from the PT dept Awkward? Moi!?

Great have a good PT! You are sensible and know what not to do! You will do wonderfully this go around!

Things still seem to be OK. I'm being careful not to tempt providence though!
Somehow my quads and other knee muscles seem to be be working quite well in a way that they just didn't after my last TKR. Maybe the OS used a different technique? Don't know. Certainly he used a tourniquet which I didn't have last time.
Pain is manageable by paracetamol. So far. Although I'm just not taking opiodes.

When are you expecting parole? I found I was more comfortable at home

I was discharged home on Monday. It was fantastic to be home. OH is looking after me very well but I find I'm able to do much more for myself than last time at this stage.

That’s great to hear, Spex! Do you suppose it’s because you have one good knee for support?

Still maintaining what seems to me to be a good bend. It's now exactly a week since the op.
My left leg is quite achy today. The quads are sore as though I'd been doing a workout. It occurs to me that yesterday I started to be able to lift the new tkr leg on to a stool or the bed without helping it. I flex my quads while resting and pedal my feet up and down a lot. Have I just built up lactic in my thigh muscle?
My leg seems very strong and stable which is great.

Reading through some of the other threads it was pretty horrifying how difficult it was for people to come off their oxycontin and similar meds. I only take paracetamol in 4 doses over the day. I had explained to the doctors that I didn't want opiates due to the possibility of growing dependent on them but I was assured that would never happen! Hmmm? Glad I stuck to my guns (and paracetamol) only!

The opioids were my main concern to be honest.

I think some people are in agony though and options are limited, you have to take what you need to get through

As long as you have in your mind what you are taking, what quantity and frequency and for how long you should be ok. Reduce to the minimum needed ASAP

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back