Here I go again!

Cynrob

Country
United States United States
RTKR done 3 years ago, and I am extremely happy with it! Like many, I had waited way to long to have it done, and I vowed not to do that again. Two years ago I started having intermittent mild to moderate pain in Left knee. This fall the pain hit me suddenly and like a ton of bricks. I've spent the last 3 months going back and forth with an orthopedic doctor that I was referred to. After some useless physical therapy, and several Dr. visits he finally did an MRI suspecting that I might have a meniscus tear. Instead, he admitted that it showed my arthritis was far worse than the xRay (from over a year ago) had indicated. Needless to say I am not happy that it took so long to get to this conclusion. He's now willing to give me a cortisone injection so I am going to get that next week and then find someone new.

The first cortisone injection should give me a few months relief while I find a good knee surgeon. From my past experiences any future injections will not likely be as effective or lasting so I need to get with it. I liked my last surgeon, but it was done at the VA and I'm not willing to go through that waiting process again (2-3 year waitlist). I appreciate the information on this site so much, but finding a good surgeon is still overwhelming. In particular, I need a surgeon that is willing, able and hopefully experienced in doing a cementless knee since I have an allergy to the bonding agents.

Hi @Cynrob! One link that might help your surgeon search is the Consumer's Checkbook for Surgeons. The ratings are helpful and you can find those in your area. Best of luck. I know what you mean about those injections eventually not giving you the relief you'll need.

Just my experience, but I never had any success with cortisone shots. I even had a gel shot that didn’t do anything other than hurt a lot as it went in, then it took 2 days before I could walk normal again. No pain relief, though.

I've had cortisone shots into my elbow. The first one worked very well. The second one, not so well.

I’m another one who had no luck with shot. The novicane wore off in a couple of hours and it hurt more than ever. Hope you have better luck

I've had good luck in the past with the first injection. In fact I looked back at my records and with my Right knee, the first injection gave me 5 months relief, the second lasted 3 months and the third lasted 3 weeks. Also, when I had a foot problem and had cortisone injections it was exactly the same: 5 months, 3 months, 3 weeks. Of course they won't give them to you but once every 6 months so anything beyond the first one is pointless.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom