THR Here I go again, I hope

Hello Lee,
I'm with you regarding the heat and humidity. Especially the combo. It broke here too and it's been a welcome relief!

Trust is a very important part of the equation so waiting on a surgeon you have confidence in is worthwhile in my opinion. You've established a level of comfort and that's important and goes a long way in keeping the anxiety level down I'm assuming.

It's great you're working on something that interests you as you await your surgery date. Hopefully it's helping the time pass more quickly. What a project you have going! I'll bet you're excited for the final result.

Hopefully the next three months slip by quickly. You should be feeling pretty good by the time the New Year rolls around. The year 2020 should be a great one for you.
Enjoy the weekend!
@leejaa

I love our renovations. It is finally the flow I waited and wanted for 25+ years. Right now I wish the finishing touches we are doing were going faster as hip is not cooperating. My husband who is quite wonderful most of the time keeps forgetting that I cannot move very quickly and gets a bit grumpy as he is stressing with the work that still needs doing. As we have said no matter what we say, no one really understands till they have this joint pain and limitations.

I think the 20-50% better that my hip injection provided is totally gone. Getting a bit worn down and having a teary day though it is quite beautiful outside so trying to get outside of myself and focus on the outdoors and sanding and painting the trim which I am doing in the garage in pieces with the doors open so can enjoy some of the outdoors and birds. I know this too will pass but today is going to be one of the more difficult days to get through.

Wow - trying to do projects around the house with a sore hip is very tough. Please don't be hard on yourself. It is just not possible to move very fast with a crumbling hip. And yes, the pain just wears you down.

Hope you enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.

Oh goodness! Hot humid weather, home renovations, and a pre-operative hip? Yikes!!! That’s enough to wear anyone down, even if you’re working towards changes you’ve been looking forward to. There’s no hurry, sweet @leejaa , it’s fine to take things at your pace-for-now. In my book, it’s impressive that you’re working on the remodel at all. Maybe turn volume up for the nice twin on your shoulder - more pats on the back - and turn down the volume on the evil twin - no, you really don’t have to work one bit harder! You’re looking for the happy medium, contribute and feel good about yourself, but don’t wear yourself to a nubbin. Hugs!

Hi @leejaa
4 replacements:wowspring:
All out of hips and knees now!
Will be cheering you on.

Thank you. Less than 3m now. Every day less is wonderful to consider. Have a good day.

@leejaa I just came across your thread. I feel like you are doing very well with your wait. I can sympathize as that OA pain is the pits. I hadn’t realized how draining it actually was until a few weeks after my surgery. All of a sudden one day it dawned on me that I actually had more energy than I’d had before surgery. What a nice side benefit! Then I not only had more energy but I had absolutely NO hip pain. I, too, live in NY state and had my surgery done at St Joseph’s in Syracuse. Where are you in NY?

@GrannyC. You are in my neighborhood. I live in Branchport (Finger Lakes region) near Keuka Lake. I live on 70 acres on a hill not far from the lake. My surgeries have been and will be again at Park Ridge Unity Hospital in Rochester which is now part of Rochester Regional Health System. Are you in Syracuse itself or in the area?

It is so wonderful to get to the recovery and the other side. The waiting is more draining to me than the recovery and surgery drain. I think for me the surgery and recovery is moving forward so it is a positive no matter how it is going.

@leejaa I would say go drink some wine but it's likely you or a neighbor have the hard work of growing grapes! And you are a patient veteran of 3 replacements soon to be a legitimate Bionic Woman ( though not the way you might like!).
I went to Cornell grad school. Hubby is from 'Cuse

It's a small world. I drink wine but do not grow grapes. Neighbors in the area do of course. Our land is leased to our Mennonite neighbor and he plants some crops, and does hay for his dairy farm on it. It's a very nice way to keep the land being productive without the farming. We both had other jobs so farming was not something we had time for. I enjoy going to Ithaca or did when my body parts were cooperating. Such a neat small city. I do prefer living in the country with space around me though. I am very lucky.

My plan was never to be bionic but very thankful for the technology. The knees were issues for a long time but the hips caught me unawares , silly considering the history of OA but I guess I was just hoping this was going to be it for a while.

You will be half bionic shortly and out of pain, very happy for you to be moving forward.

@leejaa Small world! I live about an hour north of Syracuse between Adams and Sackets Harbor and just north of the Tug Hill area. We try not to schedule anything in Syracuse during winter months if it can be avoided because we would have to drive right through Tug Hill and as you probably know, they get inundated with lake effect snows. We are just north of that area so normally don’t get quite as much. Therefore I had my surgery the end of April.

I will probably be bionic one day, too. I have OA in both knees, one of which is bone on bone but it doesn’t hurt at all so I hope that continues. It gets quite stiff after sitting for a bit but that is it thank goodness. I’m sure you will be glad to get this one done and over with so you can move on with your life.

I can understand not scheduling in winter. I had my one knee and hip done at the end of Jan and was worried about the weather and now one hip in Nov. I hope for the best and figure if there is weather coming will go up to Rochester where the hospital is (it is almost1.5hrs away) a day early and get hotel near hospital if necessary. Not much choice as my OS is too popular and I end up waiting 4-5m to get on his surgical schedule anyways and just want to be done.

I am glad that your knees do not hurt you. Hopefully, you can postpone surgery for a while. Have a great week end.

I checked my spreadsheet (countdown by days to surgery) and I have 37 days till surgery Nov.13. It made me smile since the hip is being more and more difficult. I can't wait, even though nervous a bit about possible issues, to get to the other side and start recovery. Already looking around outside as to what I want to do next year since I could not do it this year.

I am so ready though somewhat scared which I know is normal. I had really good surgeries and recoveries the previous 3 times but still I keep thinking I have a few more years on me. Still I know the odds are with me and I still have the same surgeon. In fact I have my pre op with him at the end of the month which makes it even more real. A little concerned that the insurance (one of the Medicare Advantage plans) does not deny the surgery or anything silly like wanting me to do painful PT to prove it does not work. The OS office did not think it would but still I worry a bit since they do hate to pay for things. Might be the dreary rainy day outside that is making me less optimistic.

I will go bake a cake for my husband's birthday which is today and hopefully it will cheer me up even though all I will choose to eat of it is a small tid bit since I have lost 34# since mid May and do not want to indulge in splurges. At 65, it finally penetrated that I can lose weight and keep it off and make retirement even more fun once I get the new hip.

Have a wonderful day wherever you all are.

@leejaa Counting down the days! Not long now.

Of course you are nervous. I think I was more nervous pre-op the second hip. Not sure why. But I can confirm you will be delighted when you wake up in recovery and realise all is done and dusted. No more hips to worry about.

Well done on your weight loss! Tough when you have a bad hip.

What a nice, well thought out update.
You have such a positive outlook overall, but it's certainly natural to be a little nervous!
Congratulations on the weight loss and yes, you will be able to be more active soon! That was a big part of why I wanted to go ahead and ditch this right hip.
Will be interested to follow your recovery. I hope the next month goes smoothly and easily for you.. no fun waiting.

Great for the 34 lbs and a little over a month from now. Double hippy.
:happydance:
Sorry you have the anxious feeling ... certainly understandable...:console2:
Hope you have a restful evening @leejaa

I received electronic notification that my post op appt is made at the OS office for December. It is the one month post op routine visit. . One more thing on the way to surgery. My pre op with him was scheduled months ago. Now cannot wait to get notice from the hospital for the hospital pre op and whatever class I have to do pre op. Can't wait to get those notices and appts done so it will feel like it is really happening.

Sunny day today in the Finger Lakes of NYS. Lovely with the colors starting to really change. I think I will have to do a mow job one more time before fall is here. Maybe tomorrow. Not feeling too spry today.

I hope everyone is enjoying nice weather.

@leejaa You sound so organized and prepared, (spreadsheet count down) plus you did the hard work of losing weight with a bad hip, which is so wonderful for your overall health and recovery. I have lost weight, too, to prepare for surgery. Glad your dates are getting established.

I should be organized by now. 4th surgery in 6 years and all joint replacements. I have also been buying staples for the house and for the pantry so that my husband has a easier time. I try to get a lot of things for 3 m. I will be able to shop before 3m if all goes as previous but I always feel better being more prepared. Soon it will be time to get all my other recovery tools down like the walker and toilet raiser.

I think all these things make me feel better while waiting.

@leejaa I am excited for you. At only 65, the best is still yet to come. I say that because my 70th birthday year was filled from start to finish with tremendous and rewarding achievements. Dust off your bucket list and start making them all happen.

And congrats in particular on the weight loss.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562