THR Here I go again, I hope

I was worried reading your post thinking it was the same hip you had surgery on 2 years ago! Glad to hear you have a plan. I'm having my left hip done in September, but in the past couple months I can feel my right hip is playing up as well :sad: It's only a matter of time.

Every time we go on holidays my hip plays up and I am no fun. I honestly think I over do it trying to pack and get everything in order.

Sounds funny but I am starting to dread vacations. Hopefully, after the next hip recovery I will be able to really enjoy going away. It probably is the extra work packing and getting things together that does not help and then the extra activities.

J-nice
It was surprising to me how painful the injection was - most likely due to lack of space in the joint due to all the arthritis. Check with your surgeon as to what other doctor meant. The only thing I can think of is that he wanted to make sure you had no reaction from the injection at the site. I do hope it decreases your discomfort some since you are still working. Keep us posted.

I got an injection in October. Though not pleasant I was able to leave the office five minutes later at a fast painfree walk..
The injection was targeted with x ray assist so it was direct to the joint
Things were GREAT.
For nine days..

My OS did not even suggest another one this May.. Apparently not all get relief from them and if so for varying time. Or it could have because I was going to get surgery sooner than six months.

I can relate.. I have had some back pain but to the side not the spine.. And the shot took it all away even after the dufus PA said that pain was because I must have a bad back and the shot would not help that. Anyway x rays don't lie and I expect that my knee and back will be better after the hip is done..

Of course after I readjust my gait!

Leejaa and J- nice keep doing as much as you can. and enjoy what pain free moments are possible. You know what has to be done.. don't be me.

No, just waiting to have it done. I did the postpone and waited too long with the first knee and the last hip. I told myself never again postpone - just get it over with and recover and reclaim living freely.

Amen !
:angel:

Update on post injection: Well, the injection is helping about 20-50% depending on what I am doing. If I am up and around more then the leg and groin starts hurting plus feels all stiff. Walking more than a few steps is still not possible. Sleep is improved some nights but still not sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time. I did get to mow the lawn (riding lawnmower) which is nice though watching me get on is a hoot. Of course, when I get off, and try to straighten - ouch ouch ouch. It is still worth it - I actually love mowing (we mow about 5 acres) it looks so nice when done and does not get dirty like the house.

I also joined weight watchers Sat. - doing the strictly digital version to try to lose some weight before surgery - just for me and something I was planning on doing with exercise this year especially with the nicer weather. I have done it before many years ago and it did work but with all the joints not cooperating and work stresses I did not keep up with it or maintain the weight. Well, now I am retired so at least I do not have to deal with work stress or trying to work with pain so I am doing this for myself. I want to live healthier and longer so I can last as long as all my metal parts.

Hi, @leejaa, what I still don't understand is why an insurance company thinks that conservative treatment (like an injection) is really going to do the trick. Even if it temporarily relieves the pain, it is NOT a permanent fix. My understanding is that only hip replacement is going to fix the problem. Seems like the insurance company will end up paying for that replacement eventually when those injections will inevitably stop working, assuming you get complete relief to begin with (and many don't, is my understanding). That being said, I think getting healthy before any kind of surgery is sensible. If you need to lose a few pounds, go for it. If you are able to do even modest exercise (especially for your core and upper body, muscles you'll need after surgery), then that is also a plus. If it's arthritis, which I assume it is, that's causing your problems, it doesn't get better with injections or with exercise--or at least that's what I've been told. Much as I hate the thought of surgery, it's really the only show in town that is going to fix that problem. Hang in there.

It is always a game with the insurance companies and their unwritten rules. I am lucky that my OS understands and went ahead with the injection so I would not have issues months from now when the surgery came up and also let me schedule the surgery now so I did not have even a longer wait.

Many years ago I had a fibroid embolization ( I will add that I was a Radiologic Technologist at that time and assisted with this procedure many times and saw its success without surgery) instead of a hysterectomy for fibroid. First my gynecologist tried talking me out of the procedure saying it was not successful and not performed much in my area but a California kind of thing. I did not listen to her and went ahead with the procedure - quick recovery, no surgery and end of pain. After that the insurance company did not want to pay as there was not a long record of me having pain - no I did not run to the doctor every time I had a pain if it went away. I did end up in emergency with excruciating pain finally and the gynecologist wanted to do an emergency hysterectomy the next day. I figured that was enough of an indication that I needed something done. Finally, after working with the secretary at the gynecologist and sending the hospital emergency dept. notes they paid for the procedure. The weird and interesting part is that the procedure was much cheaper than a surgery would have been. Some things just do not make sense but the game must be played.

Wow, @leejaa It does make you wonder about these insurance companies! But I agree, in the end you just have to play the game and do what those insurance companies want so you can get the coverage and the procedures you need done to be covered (as they should be!) I think your approach is sensible--do what you need to do and keep moving forward.

“It is always a game with the insurance companies and their unwritten rules.”

Isn’t that the truth...

I am so glad you have a capable ally in your OS and PA. It shouldn’t take this kind of help to navigate “the system”, but since it does, I am glad you have it.

It is funny but I am more frustrated waiting for surgery than last time. I think it is the fact that I am now retired and there is so much I was planning on doing this spring/summer around the house and going places that involve walking. I think as hard as it was with working and the pain - I had less time to be irritated and frustrated. Strange stuff.

I am very relieved that we did our huge house remodel last year since it involved lots of packing and unpacking and organizing. I could not have done it with this hip. I guess I should thank my hip for lasting out last year so we could get the house done. I still have some things to organize and unpack and finish up and it is very much more difficult with this silly body part.

The lack of uninterrupted sleep is getting to me. I really just want to turn as I want in bed but I can't because depending on the motion the hip screams at me. The injection is not really doing much of anything that I had which was what I expected. I think the relief is down to 10-30% from before the injection.

I realize that I have a date and try to concentrate on that - now it is almost 5m away - I tell myself I have waited this long last time for surgery and I can do it again but maybe I am more tired of waiting for relief from all those other surgeries than I thought.

This too will pass and all things will get back on track. Unfortunately just to increase my irritation I find that I have a cold and this adds to my inability to sleep.

Enough whining from me for today. I hope all of us on the waiting train have a great day.

Hey, @leejaa, this time waiting for surgery is the PITS! Pain fluctuates during the day sometimes, but always seems to cause most folks restless, uncomfortable and interrupted sleep. Even if I didn't have an angry, bone-on-bone hip, I had these awful times in the middle of the night when I would scare myself with irrational worries about sedation/spinal, whether the pain would really go away for good, whether it would be months (years!) before I would fully recover, that my husband would divorce me because I was such a demanding, whiny patient, etc. You're right that time will keep chugging along. Stay distracted and busy as you're able. A glass of wine in the evenings sometimes helped with some of the jitters, as did getting together with girlfriends to gossip and laugh. Do whatever it takes--you ARE going to get through this! Hang in there!

The lack of uninterrupted sleep is getting to me. I really just want to turn as I want in bed but I can't because depending on the motion the hip screams at me.

That is maddening. I remember it well, my heart goes out to you.
I hope your cold is easing a bit and you're able to enjoy the weekend.
Blue skies, sunshine and perfect temps...my wish for you :wink:
@leejaa

I am somewhat over my funk. I still wish I could have the surgery sooner than later so I could move on or is that move freely. All the same in my book. It is probably helping that the cold I have had for over a week (longer than I have ever had a cold before) is almost gone along with the post nasal drip and cough.

Weather was crummy and rainy all day - gray and so my hip and other joints that will not be getting replaced but are painful are acting up and ouching. Hoping for some sunshine next week which will especially help lift the mood.

I hope everyone has a restful night and a good week ahead.

Made my hip extra ouchy today trying to be more normal. Last year we renovated the whole house which is great because it is very open now and recovery will be easier to move around. Unfortunately we still have boxes to get through. My husband built me some shelves and a couple of bookcases ( I am a bookaholic though recovering since I use my nook app on the phone and my kindle). I thought I would get going to unpack. Well it seems moving boxes and bending and lifting and shoving books around is too normal. I did not want to leave all the box moving for him so was doing it myself. Silly I know but like so many of us I am used to just doing things for myself. I did ask him to move the other 10 boxes into the room with the shelves for me so that tomorrow all I have to do is open them and move the books around - hopefully should be easier.

He is being extra nice and going to town to get a roast chicken and some deli salads for dinner. I was even too popped and ouchy to go to a restaurant and sit. I did take some extra strength Tylenol in the hopes it helps even a little bit.

Thank you all for listening to my ramblings.

Leeja I found that sleeping is much better pre op for me if I have a pillow between my thigns. That prevents the hip from rotating internally.. I have mastered rolling over with it too.
Have you tried something like this? I tried to put in the link from amazon and its not taking.. Its called a Knee Pillow Leg Positioner and is very firm

I had a whiny self pity party too

Thinking of you while we both try to have "normal" days..!:ice:

@leejaa and @mainegirl1 we are all so used to doing it ourselves and seem to really have a hard time giving it up. :snork:

We just have to learn to pace ourselves, now and after surgery. We've got this fellow hippies!
:egypdance:

I use regular firm pillows between my legs and it does help to keep the hip in just the right position. I will have to check out Amazon for the knee positioner though. Thank you.

Don't those pillow between your legs make you hot,@leejaa ? I tried those before surgery, in an attempt to prevent the aching wake-up calls during the night, but it never really helped as I'd still wake up, sweating along my thighs and often just tossing the pillow(s) on the floor. Post surgery it worked a little better only because I was often a zombie at night (thank you, opioids!) but fairly soon in my recovery process I ditched them for good. I had the anterior approach, so no real restrictions (except "if it hurts, don't do it") and I did just fine with no pillows after that. I am a side sleeper mostly, although spent a good chunk of time on my back initially. I think it's just a tedious process of trying to find out what works best for YOU. Sleep really is the holy grail for all of us, and seeking it out is a difficult and frustrating process. Before and after surgery, I tended to have a bad night's sleep followed by a fairly good one, undoubtedly because bad sleep equals exhaustion and that really helped me zonk out and stay that way for at least a 4 hour chunk of time.

Happy Monday! :wave:
I hope your hip has bounced back from the activity of yesterday. I'll bet the renovation makes your house feel brand new. With any luck you're feeling up to finishing the project of putting your books on shelves.
It looks like you're planning to make it almost three years in between both Hip replacements.

Wishing you comfort as you wait. Have a great week!
@leejaa

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties