THR Here I go again, I hope

leejaa

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
Like so many before me, feeling frustrated that my right hip kicked up with extreme pain. It has been 2yrs since my left hip was replaced and life was really good. I actually go to put in some veggies last summer and clear up some of the flower beds. It was so good not to be hurting anywhere. About 3wks ago I noticed pain in my right hip (groin area) after riding the exercise bike which is a recumbent and I was not using a high level of tension - just trying to get some muscles back from winter so I could actually ride my outside bike this year after some years of no riding due to knee surgeries/recoveries, hip surgery/recovery and work. As you can sense from this I am not too happy with the timing - I know it will be better but I still want to cry.

My husband and I went to New Orleans last week for vacation and I found I had very bad pain with walking (uneven sidewalks) and especially sitting and getting up (changing the position where the hip as to move is agonizing at times). Also sleep became an issue since moving the hip hurts. Just like last time, I cannot lift my leg up to step on stairs or put on clothes and especially socks easily and always with pain. I tried explaining to husband that it was my hip and I could not keep up with the speed of his walking but he still thought it was because I was out of shape (yes, I am but it was the pain that was causing the problem). He is normally supportive but it was our big trip and his frustration was palpable. Unfortunately, the same thing happened a few years back when we had a vacation in Chicago and my right hip was not cooperative. Emotionally this was hard to take along with the pain even though I understood his frustration. He has never had anything major wrong except some back pain that goes away within 1-2d.

Right now, I have seen my PC and he agrees that my hip will need attention. I have scheduled an appointment with my OS or rather his PA as his first appt. is in September. I will be seeing the PA on Thursday 5/2 which is great. I just want to get this moving along. The frustrating part is that I saw the OS in Jan 2019 for a 5yr check on my knees and 2yr check on my hip (missed the 1yr check) and everything was great with me and on x-rays. I know that these silly joints do not always cooperate.

I am stealing myself for the surgical wait which might be as long as 5m - I hope no longer. He is very good and very busy and has done my other 3 joints with no issues and great care so I do not really want to go to someone else. I just hope that the x-rays show the damage clearly so that there are no more delays with getting an MRI and approval for such or recommending PT which last time just extended my torture and pain. I am trying to pace myself and hopeful. The worst part is that I cannot find a comfortable spot to sleep. The only good part is that I am now retired so at least I do not have to try to go to work.

I am not afraid of the surgery though I am sure I will get more nervous the day before. I am more concerned with the wait and getting through it and dealing with my husband's frustration. He is much better once I have the surgery - he is then very helpful.

I am so glad to have this site as somewhere to go, read other people's stories and feelings and not feel so alone. This site has helped me through all 3 joint replacements and I know it will help me again with this hip.

So sorry that your other hip has started to play up.. it’s so hard when you get used to the freedom of not having pain.

Glad you are seeing someone and hope you get a date sooner than you think.

I so understand about your hubby’s frustrations. Mine booked 3 holidays last year as my hip was only displaying minor symptoms... by the time we went to Scotland in May I struggled but coped ....by July when we went to Estepona I had to use a wheelchair everywhere... and then late September we went to Malta & I couldn’t leave the hotel....I stayed by the pool.
my husbands frustration boiled over on several occasions and I found myself wishing hip problems on him...just so he knew how difficult it was... of course, I didn’t really mean it... but like yours my hubby has been very healthy & hasn’t a clue how much hip pain really gets you down.
You’ve been here before with your hip & knee ...you know how good the results are but it’s hard to cope in pain. I understand you wanting to cry .... life seems very unfair sometimes.
So glad you’ve got Bonesmart to sound off on!!! Doesn’t it help!

I’m 6 weeks nearly from 2nd THR & doing well... you will be there soon...xxc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind reply and you made me smile. Like you, I was wishing he could feel and understand the toll a joint takes on you and how it affects everything but in the end I would not really wish this on him or anyone.

I am very glad that you are out of pain now. I am sure that the next vacations your husband plans you will enjoy much more.

I am trying to take one day at a time and just waiting for my Thur. appt. to get to the next step.

I'm so sorry to hear that your second hip seems to be telling you it's time. These joints can be such demanding toddlers sometimes! It is difficult for a spouse because I'm sure your husband feels both pain at seeing you hurting and frustration knowing that you can't do all the things he'd like to. But keep reminding him that it's temporary and you'll be good as new here soon. Be grateful that this surgery exists as the alternative of living in pain and disability would be really horrible.

I hope you are able to get a date for your surgery soon.

I knew my second hip would speak up at some point and make its wishes known. Yep...just 9 months after the first surgery. I did wait a few months more to get past the worst of winter. Here's the good part about the second THR...I knew the drill. And I knew that it would be great to have a matched set of healthy hips. And indeed that's exactly how it turned out.

So I hope your appointment this week results in you being able to schedule your surgery, and sooner rather than later. Be sure to let them know you would be happy to take a cancellation.

As for hubby...you need to make Simon and Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge song your theme song, and keep playing it for your husband....slow down, you move too fast.... :)

Good luck with it all, leejaa. I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

Sharonslp - I love your idea of playing Simon and Garfunkel.

I am very grateful that this surgery exists. I watched my mother have increased hip pain and increased limited motion not even being able to go from sitting to laying down without excruciating pain in the hip. This was even when the surgery existed but her PC would not clear her due to her heart issues and she did not want to push and take the risk. This was about 20yrs ago. I am grateful that I have had the surgeries on my knees and hip and hopefully the other hip soon so that I can be pain free.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I tell many people about this site and how wonderful and informative it is.

He is very good and very busy and has done my other 3 joints with no issues and great care so I do not really want to go to someone else.
Maybe he'll slot you in sooner since you're a returnee. I too have had 3 other joints done by the OS who will do my hip in May and although I had to wait a bit, it was less time than it would have been if I came in cold.

You and I are in the same place! My left hip was replaced four years ago and after recovery it felt wonderful to work out again and just plain move with no pain. About a month ago little warnings started to rear its head and bam..hip pain and even more radiating pain just exploded few weeks ago. I can’t sit without pain. XRays clearly showed bone on bone in the right hip. I just want to get the surgery done ASAP. But can’t see surgeon till June..so the ortho is trying injection to temper pain in two weeks..hopefully. My husband has been pretty good cause he just got done with hernia operation in February and is just now feeling good. We were planning a trip also but not now. Life certainly throws hard curve balls sometimes! It is good to hear others experiences with this and to know we are not alone. Keep us updated on your progress!

Update on OS visit. I saw the PA which is just fine. I think I see her more than the OS most times since he books 5m out and pain and issues pop up at inconvenient times. Had x-rays which do not show any major bone on bone BUT her exam and my symptoms agree that I need a new joint. Thank goodness for a place with enough experience to know the symptoms and know that it is more important than plain x-rays.

Now for the not so good news. It appears that the insurance companies are even more adamant about approving total joints than ever. They want proof of conservative treatment or will deny at last minute. Again, thankfully the OS office is aware of the issues and has some ideas how to deal. First of all, she will note that I will do home exercises which she knows I cannot do much due to pain but it will be noted in the chart (thank goodness that I do not have to spend energy, time and money on PT like I did last time just to have increased pain). She will also note that she is counseling me regarding weight loss which I will try to do anyways since I am not happy with where it is.

Additionally, I will have a right hip injection next week (5-9-19) to have something concrete on record. This will postpone any surgery for 6 months since he will not do surgery for 6m after injection, but we have scheduled the surgery mow for 6m out (the date right now is 11-13-19). Since he normally schedules 5m out this is a relief. I was really scared that we would have to wait 6m to schedule and then wait an additional 5m to get on the schedule. I do not have much faith in the injection lasting but I am meeting the requirements of the insurance game. If it helps in the meantime that will be great also since maybe I can do some yardwork and maybe plant some veggies. I just started a mini veggie garden last year again after years of not being able to due to work and pain and it felt so good to pick some tomatoes and cukes and chard.

It is not that I am eager to go through another surgery but I really want to get to the other side of this. After waiting for the other joints at different times, I know it will not really go away so I just want to get on with it and get my life back.

This last hip is hitting me almost harder than the others. I think it is because I was finally without pain and retired and had plans to enjoy more and pain is such a bummer. (just a bit of whining) I know all of us get upset when our bodies refuse to cooperate with our plans. I do feel better to a degree that at least now there is a plan and a timeline.

Since so many things are painful again, I have dug out my reachers so I do not have to bend to pick things up as well as my sock assist to get socks on since bending over is painful. Luckily I help everything from my left hip experience and it is helping to get through. For those who have these appliances from previous surgeries don't forget to use them now in the pre op wait and if you do not - check out what is available out there and see if any of the items would make your life a little bit easier now depending on what is painful with your particular hip.

@leejaa It sounds like you have a plan, even if it does mean a long wait for the surgery. I hope the injection brings some relief. I think we need a handy term for those of us who have had both hips and knees done--maybe just bionic!

I use my reachers all the time--in fact I have 3 of them stashed in various places around the house.

Yes, love the reachers - so handy even when not in pain as I am vertically challenged as well with tall cabinets and when something falls in tight corners.

I kidded my PC that this hip is it - I am not having another replacement of anything (luckily my shoulders are OK). He laughed but said really the shoulder replacements have come a long way and are very successful. It was a funny moment at the time and again reminded me how thankful we can be that the technology exists instead of having to live in pain.

Fingers, toes, elbows, shoulders--we could be truly bionic!

Oh I sympathize with you.We did not have a vacation because I was too stiff to walk much. I told my hubby to go without me but he wouldn't. But what I am hearing is all my friends and their travels and that is difficult- more about their mobility as I dont care about the other. I hope your surgical date will be moved up and in the interim that beast pain is at bay. It is difficult when you are ailing and you still have to consider how your pain/incapacity affects them when you surely did not wish this upon yourself.Keep coming here and you will find support, answers and wonderful advice.

Well, had the hip injection yesterday. The word is that yesterday I should have had no pain due to the marcaine injected into the joint which is quick acting and then back to pain for 2-3 days while the the steroid works into the joint. Semi correct. Pain was greatly diminished yesterday by about 50-70%. Still had trouble sleeping though which was a big disappointment. Today the hip is about 20% better than original. Every little bit helps. I am hoping by Monday it will improve more. I know this is not a cure - though hoping I can get some relief so I can sleep and get some things done.

At least I have my surgery date set so I know it will end at some point.

Now it is day 3 since the hip injection and the pain is decreased by 90% and about 80% after being up and around a long time. It is a welcome relief to be able to get in and out of bed fairly easily or sit and walk. Actually got to mow the lawn yesterday (riding lawnmower). I love mowing grass - it is restful and more fun than cleaning house. Sleep has improved also. I am thinking maybe I will plant a few veggies if this continues for the next few weeks. Hoping very hard that maybe at least the summer will not be too painful. I realize this will not last so am extra glad that there is a surgery date set in the future and I will not have to start waiting all over again.

I am glad I am able to walk some without the severe pain though the leg/knee tightness comes back and I start limping but not as severe. This will help keep some muscle tone before surgery.

Good for you you, are one of the lucky ones! My hip Injection only got me to about 50% better, but it didn’t last more than about 6 weeks.

I have my injection tomorrow..I just hope it will help so I can get back to school and finish the last few weeks of teaching!

Glad to hear the wheels are turning in the right direction, leejaa. I'm sure I would be fuming at the idea of the insurance company dictating my medical treatment, but at least the injection is giving you relief. Summer and fall always fly by too quickly anyway, so your 6 months wait will up in no time.

Update on injection. Not as good of a day today. I noticed last night that I had increased pain with movement in bed and trying to find a comfortable position. This morning the discomfort/pain/stiffness has increased. I would say there is still a decrease but markedly less - about 50% from pre injection. Still better but as much as I did not expect miracles still disappointing. I am just focusing on the fact that at least there is a date in the future for complete resolution of the hip.

J-nice, I hope your injection helps you to get through the work and waiting. I will be interested to see how you do with it.

I am trying to keep updates on the injection here for my own record since sometimes days tend to blur and also for anyone else who might want to get a sense of it though we and our hips are all different at times.

leejaa, thank God that injection only lasted a few minutes...did not enjoy it at all. The ortho that did the injection moved the leg around about 30 minutes later in positions that normally hurt..it didn’t hurt. He said that was a good sign all the pain is from the hip....but he then said we shall see , though, in a few days if the pain diminishes to make sure all the pain is from hip. I was like what??? He just finished telling me earlier (before he did the injection) that my hip was in bad shape..bone on bone. Now I’m confused. If the injection doesn’t diminish pain that means the pain is not from hip? Confused. Right now the radiating pain is strong but I expected that since it does take a few days to settle down from shot.I see surgeon on Wednesday. I’m sure he will have me wait for surgery due to injection, too. Time wise..we are on the same path!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics