THR Here I am again.

Dmcfad2

post-grad
Country
United States United States
It has been 5 years since I had a LTHR. I had quite a bit of thigh pain for many more months after my surgery and still have it from time to time. But, all in all, my left hip is much better since my surgery.
My right hip has been bothering me for a few years now and I have put off doing anything about it because I am a bit gun shy after my rough recovery. Plus, my ortho at the time felt it might get better after I had my left hip replacement. Well, it hasn’t and the pain has gotten to a point where I am finally ready for another new hip. The difference this time is that I have different insurance now and can choose my surgeon, whereas before I was stuck in an HMO and could only use their doctors. I have found a surgeon who comes highly recommended here in San Diego and I am feeling much more confident this time around. I met with his PA yesterday and have decided to go through with the surgery. I meet with the surgeon on July 30 and will probably have surgery in September after I get through some trips I have planned.
So.....because this site was so helpful to me last time, I am going to be visiting it often. I just wanted to say hi!

Welcome back. As you already know this is the best site for support and answers. Sorry you need another surgery but sounds like you have found a good surgeon and that is a huge part of the process.

Hello @Dmcfad2. Welcome back! I'm back also after just short of three yrs for first hip. This is the best place to be. :cheers: This is the first place to go after I knew lefty needed to go. I plan on riding horseback spring, what's your first? I feel like I'm just about to fly soon or dance.:happyfeet:

Hey, @Dmcfad2, congrats on making it five years before hip #2 needs attention! I'd have loved to have five years, but it didn't work out that way. Hip #2 started whining within a couple months of recovery from hip replacement #1, so here we go again. Good luck on getting your September surgery scheduled and then let the countdown begin--cheers!

Last edited:
Hi :hi:
Welcome back to BoneSmart! Thank you for joining us again.
It's good to hear you've found a surgeon who comes highly recommended and are feeling more confident this time around. Hopefully with this THR you'll experience an easier and uneventful recovery. Stay in touch and let us know how your meeting with the OS goes....if you don't drop by before then. We'll be here, lights never go out.
Have a great rest of the weekend!
@Dmcfad2

:wave: and welcome back...
Luckily, each hip is different along with each recovery so hopefully you got the tough one out of the way!
:ok:

Thanks. I love the support I get here. I will check in from time to time until my next appointment!

I have a date for surgery for my RTHR, November 25, 2019. They worked around my schedule and gave me the date I requested.
My new surgeon has informed me that my previous LTHR 5 years ago left me with a longer leg on my left side. It is quite clear in my x-rays. My pelvis is tilted. I am actually quite a bit longer on my left side! I always knew there was something wrong and I believe this is why I had a rough recovery and have had thigh pain ever since my last hip replacement. Unfortunately, he says trying to equal the leg length with my upcoming surgery is not a good idea. I really trust him. He is an excellent surgeon with over 20 years of experience. Anyway, I am confident that this upcoming surgery will be an easier recovery and I am actually looking forward to it somewhat. My hip is getting worse and worse. Soon I will be a double hip replacement recipient. Looking forward to meeting new friends here and posting during my recovery.

New double hippy coming soon.
Hope it improves things for Lefty.

We will be here to cheer you on to a hopefully uneventful tecovery.:happydance:

Hi Debbie. I believe I remember you from your first THR. Welcome back, and I hope the second time's the charm.

I wonder, even though your OS can't even up your LLD with this surgery, perhaps now that you know about it, you can address it with the help of an orthotic later on. It would nice to be able to think there is something proactive you can do as you look ahead to post-recovery.

At any rate, it sounds like you still came out ahead in spite of the thigh pain. That's a win no matter what.

I'm glad you're back here for your new surgery. :)

Hope the pain isn’t too bad at the moment Debbie...
My 2nd THR was so much easier than the 1st one... perhaps because I knew what to expect.
My first one has always been a bit ‘clunky’ & sometimes a bit painful...
Glad to be able to see you again on BS...You know how helpful & supportive it is here.

cheers Chrissie xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Dmcfad2 ! I got lucky in that having the second hip done improved the first one noticeably. Maybe OS evened my legs out, or maybe simply the new hip put me better in balance. I noticed that improvement most strongly in maybe the first 6 months of second recovery, and since then I think I've forgotten what the old way was. I hope the same for you!

Hi Debbie. I believe I remember you from your first THR. Welcome back, and I hope the second time's the charm.

I wonder, even though your OS can't even up your LLD with this surgery, perhaps now that you know about it, you can address it with the help of an orthotic later on. It would nice to be able to think there is something proactive you can do as you look ahead to post-recovery.

At any rate, it sounds like you still came out ahead in spite of the thigh pain. That's a win no matter what.

I'm glad you're back here for your new surgery. :)

I remember you, Sharon! You helped me a lot when I was having a rough recovery.
He did mention a heel lift. He said he might be able help the LLD a little. My thought is that I am too long on my operated leg and he doesn’t want to make this one longer to match because it might mess up my entire skeleton. Nice to see you are still here.

@Hoppy Nanny I am not in too much pain. I have good days and bad days, but it has been a general decline over the last few years. My LTHR still gives me thigh pain on occasion and I walk funny because I kind of throw my pelvis forward when I walk. Hoping things will be better after the next one! I feel more confident with this surgeon. He comes highly recommended.

:hi: @Dmcfad2
Best Wishes for your surgery tomorrow.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. Will look forward to following your recovery as you're healing.
See you on the bright side soon :wave:

Sending healing mojo in advance :loveshwr: bye bye hip pain :yes!:

Debbie...sending you only good wishes for your surgery tomorrow... looking forward to seeing you in recovery mode soon...
Love & hugs Chrissie xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics