BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Here I am again!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by heathersmom, May 6, 2019.

1. heathersmom

heathersmom junior member

United States United States
    I had a RTKR in 2010 and a LTHR in 2015 and have done great with both. I'm scheduled for a RTHR on June 6 and I am ready to get it over with! I could have had it done May 21 but my post-op caretakers (my daughter and my sister) are going to Norway for a week on May 22. :) Oh, well. I've had the groin pain for a while now, still can't figure out how that relates to a bone-on-bone joint, and now the hip pain has begun, so it's time. The last 2 times, I was able to go back to work in 3 0r 4 weeks, but this is my driving leg, so that won't happen this go-round. Looking forward to being part of this group again.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @heathersmom Welcome back! Sorry that you have a bit of a wait for that THR - but make the most of it. Join the June group here and have a read in the hip recovery section. We are with you through this again!
    Very wise decision. Unless your surgeon formally releases you so early out it is not a good idea to drive. Should you have any kind of accident your insurance would probably not pay.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome back! Sorry you’ve got to have another THR but at least you know how it goes & where to come.

How was your TKR in relation to your hip? I’ve just had 2nd THR & need a TKR (in 6 months they said)

Wow back to work in 3-4 weeks was going it some ...I’m 6 weeks post op & could possibly just contemplate work (but I’m retired now so don’t have to!)

June is not too far away... hoping the pain doesn’t get too bad in the meantime x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Hi... I had bilateral 3 weeks ago. Starting to work from HOME today. It will likely be another 3 weeks before I’m ready for the office. Can you work from home in your position? I know I’m fortunate in that way.

Also.. I was cleared for driving once off pain meds and I drove yesterday. But each OS has its own protocol and this is a case for “better safe than sorry” if there ever was one. And to be clear, I drove for 10 min on a Sunday. I’m not even close to ready for a morning commute!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Welcome back. Like you I cannot wait to get it over with and get to the other side. Don't forget as always to listen to what the hip says in your recovery and do not over plan how fast you will be able to return to work. You and the hip come first. Just a month away - it will go quickly and give you some time to prep.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome back! I hope time flies for you. Only a month to wait.
    Stop back often for support and encouragement. We're here for you.
    Wishing you comfort as you await your date.
    @heathersmom

• Like Like x 1
  7. gertie

gertie post-grad

Yep! I'm with you on that! Let's just get it done. In the meantime, I hope you're enjoying some spring weather.

• Like Like x 2
  8. heathersmom

Oh, brother. In the course of my pre-op workups it was discovered that I have a large hiatal hernia...as in, my stomach and my pancreas are in my chest cavity instead of my abdominal cavity where they belong! So, as soon as my ortho doc deems it safe for me to have surgery again, I'll have that repaired, hopefully by robotic laparascopic surgery.. On the bright side, less than 3 weeks now! Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  9. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Three weeks away sounds great. You are on your way to a pain free life and then can deal with the other issues. Isn't it wonderful what can be done laparascopically now. It makes recovery so much easier.

10. heathersmom

However...that soon may interfere with my PT. Ain't happenin'!

11. heathersmom

And the saga continues. Last Thursday the anesthesiologist called twice and my surgeon called once. They don't feel comfortable doing the surgery until after the hernia is repaired. They're concerned that I'll have breathing issues after the surgery because the hernia is so big it's restricting my lung capacity. So I called the other surgeon Thursday afternoon, and they were supposed to call me back Friday. I haven't heard from them yet so I'm going to call them today and see if I can go ahead and get the hernia surgery scheduled. I need my hip to be fixed! But it'll all be done in God's time so I can't really worry.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. heathersmom

I finally heard back from the other surgeon. I go for post-op tomorrow (Friday)" and have my hernia surgery on Monday. That's the best news I've heard in a while. I should be coming out of surgery for my hip today, but it will happen sooner than later.Thank You Lord Jesus!

• Like Like x 1
  13. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Oh my @heathersmom! Your moving on up! This is for you, go girl!!:happyfeet: