Knee Infection* Here I am again

Another ‘medical’ day today. When I woke up this morning I had a large, painful lump in my left groin. As this is the same side as my infected wound I was a little bit concerned. Also the redness and warmth had spread again today. I rang my GP’s surgery and was eventually able to persuade them to give me an emergency appointment. I saw a doctor I hadn’t seen before and she was concerned about the redness still spreading. She rang the orthopaedic department at the hospital and they told me to go straight into A & E and someone from the department would see me there. I saw an SHO who took more bloods and arranged for a Registrar to come and look at me. He came very quickly and was still sure that the infection is just in the skin and not in the knee joint itself. However, he has changed me onto a different antibiotic for another week, and said that my Consultant will look at the blood results and will decide with me when I see him on Thursday whether anything else needs to happen.

Oh, and the GP said the lump is an enlarged lymph gland caused by my body dealing with the infection. Hopefully nothing else will happen before Thursday!

I hope that when you see the surgeon on Thursday he will have good new for you. Do let us know, won't you?

I promised to let you know how I got on with my surgeon on Thursday. Well this is the first opportunity I’ve had as when I saw him he immediately admitted me to hospital! My CRP was 158, and an ultra sound scan showed a large haematoma which may have been infected. So for the past 5 days I’ve been in a hospital bed, having iv antibiotics, and with the doctors deciding whether I needed surgery for a washout. Thankfully my CRP has gone down almost as quickly as it went up, and at 6.00pm today I was told I could come home. I have to take strong antibiotics orally for 2 weeks and see my consultant again next week.

What a nightmare, but at least you're back home and have the meds to fight the infection! Please keep us updated.

I hope things are going better and I have my fingers crossed and prayers going your way Linda. I haven't been on for a little bit and was just catching up with you.

I saw my consultant again yesterday and he was pleased with the improvement in my knee. I had more blood taken to check that my CRP is now normal and I have to see him again next Thursday. He said that I still have to be careful with my knee and not overdo things as the bugs will still be around. However it feels as if finally things are getting more normal and at last I will soon be able to have my life back. Thank you for all the prayers and support. Linda x

I've just read through everything, oh my goodness you have certainly been put through the wringer. I guess the adage slow and steady will be your mantra. Just be certain to not overdo.

Is the CRP the C Reactive Protein? Curious about that as my surgeon ordered massive blood draw and that came back very elevated.

Happy healing.

What an ordeal! Glad you are on the mend and hope the nasty bugs stay away.

Yes CRP is C Reactive Protein. Mine was 8 and then 36 hours later 158. When I left hospital it was down to 14 and hopefully, when I get the results of the latest test on Thursday, it will be back below 10. Linda x

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought but wanted to make certain I understood.

Mine is 9, but all of the other reading suggest its not infection but inflammation. Just look at my knee and you know its inflammation!! Hope your numbers keep dropping.

Yesterday was a good news day - I saw my surgeon again and he has discharged me. My CRP was down again so the infection is well under control, but he said I still need to be very careful with my knee - don’t over bend it, no kneeling on it and definitely no knocking it. Apparently it will still take a while for the haematoma to disperse and be reabsorbed into my blood stream but he is happy with the way things are going. So it’s onwards and upwards. Linda x

We’re currently spending a long weekend away in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales and I’m so pleased to be able to report that I’ve completed 3 longish walks, on consecutive days, without any pain in either of my knees - the first time I’ve been able to say that for many years! I’m now even more convinced that the healing process goes on for far longer than we expect or realise. If you’re feeling frustrated that your recovery is too slow, or not happening at all, please don’t give up hope. Things are happening without you necessarily knowing, and you will get there in the end! Linda x

So happy to hear that Linda! Your great "words of wisdom" or experience are so true :)

What an awesome report, I’m so happy for you!

Good to hear from you and that you’re doing well. Yes, it usually does take more than a year, but it’s totally worth it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom