THR Help?

@Lisako76 Thank you for sharing your decent experience. I’m trying SO hard not to cancel right now so that helps a lot

I asked my husband the other night what if I’m not better off?
Oh but you will be SO much better off. And no more danger of a collapsed hip. If your surgeon has already said that hip needs to go, it's not a good shape at all. Your only option is THR. Getting the hip replaced before you are majorly limping around is the best option.

Please don't even think about cancelling. You are one of the lucky ones who can move forward on this. Just get it done and get on with living again.

Just keep coming here and posting.

I was a basket case pre-op my first THR. But posting here really did help. By the time my day came I was totally at peace with getting my hip done. And quite honestly, the recovery was not anything like I imagined. I left the hospital only on anti-inflammatory medication that I was already taking for spinal issues. Any discomfort was mainly swelling that is addressed with icing and elevation.

Post my second THR was even better as they now flood the joint capsule with pain medication before closing. It really helps give you a good start to recovery.

You've got this my friend! You are going to be just fine!

Thank you @Jaycey. I keep thinking it’ll be agonising and impossible, and absolutely terrifying. Apart from the hip I’m totally healthy and my surgeon has given me incredibly low risk markers for everything (1% potential complication rate) so I know on paper it sounds better, but I’ve heard some real horror stories out there and I remain terrified. I’ve never known a fear like this in my life, and I’m usually pretty brave about everything!

First order of business - do not use google to research hip replacement complications. In truth there are very few "horror stories". These days complications are extremely rare. And if you have low risk markers you are there!

One thing I found helpful was watching videos of the hospital where I was having my THRs. Then you can visualise yourself in that space. I also found an animated video of the procedure (cartoon or model only, not the real thing) and watched it over and over. It helped me to know what was going to happen and where I was going to be.

@ReluctantHippy we were all pretty much basket cases leading up to our surgeries, totally normal feelings, especially if you've not had a major surgery before.

Try to concentrate on getting everything ready for your trip to the hospital and your recovery nest set up at home. This helps keep the mind busy and gives you a purpose, other than worrying.

One week to go and I’m incredibly nervous. Had my pre op yesterday which went very well (better than the four NHS pre ops I’ve had!) They were very kind and listened to my pain fears and promised a good pain management plan to be discussed with the anaesthetist and ward staff. The physio was very positive, said my daily hour of physio over the past two years has left me very strong considering how bad my hip is. X-rays looked dreadful.

I’m just incredibly scared! Also have developed an awful snapping sensation in my knee every time I move my hip from a sit to stand. I’ve had my knees checked recently and it’s nothing mechanical, it’s been suggested it’s a tendon or my IT band being out of alignment. I really hope it goes, it’s worse than the hip cracking! I couldn’t even turn my foot inwards for the X-ray, they had to prop it and the leg hurt badly afterwards. It’s been a very long road (six years from diagnosis) and I am exhausted now.

To everyone who is battling through this, or who has been there and done that - you are really a bunch of tough cookies!

I’m just incredibly scared!
Of course you are scared. No one likes to face major surgery. But look at it this way - eye on the prize! No more planning life around a sore hip. You have lived with this faulty hip for long enough. Time for a shiny new one and getting on with living again.

One week to go and I’m incredibly nervous.

Hi @ReluctantHippy. It's normal to be scared. It's a big surgery and surgery is always scary.

That said, I'd like to share my own -- very positive -- hip replacement experience in hopes that it will make you feel better about your decision.

I started struggling with hip pain in mid-2018. Finally went to see a ortho, who took x-rays and sent me to PT. Despite following the protocol, I continued to go downhill -- and over the next year had to give up yoga, then my daily walks. By late 2019, I was at end-stage osteoarthritis in that hip and needed a cane to walk.
I had myhip replacement on December 13, 2019 ( Friday the 13th! :nah:). The next day, I was up, walking, and released. The first couple of weeks were challenging, but not as painful as I feared. I used a walker for 2 weeks, then switched to a cane with the help of in-home PT.

I started outpatient PT in January, but the pandemic soon shut everything down. My surgeon told me that all I had to do to recover was to walk daily. So that's what I did. By April, I was walking 2 miles at a time with no pain and was attending my yoga classes again (and doing almost all of the postures!)

Long story short: I'm really happy I made the decision to have my hip replaced! It gave me back so much that I decided to have my bad knee replaced. I'm now almost 3 weeks post that surgery and eager to get back to life.

@benne68 Thank you for your kind message. My surgery is also on the 13th, just not a Friday! :heehee:
That sounds exactly like me - I followed protocol to try and extend the shelf life as I’m only in my thirties, two years ago it became too much and I went back, but then COVID brought everything to a halt. I’m now on a crutch and have also given up yoga and I haven’t been able to go for a walk without real pain for about three years. I’m hair stuck indoors working from home and feeling miserable! The challenging initial weeks are the ones that scare me the most…

The challenging initial weeks are the ones that scare me the most…
I all sounds daunting but in truth it's just a slow and steady journey to mobility. Since you are in the UK I think you will leave the hospital on crutches or a cane. Even if you are on a walker it will be a matter of days before you transition.

Unlike pre-op pain, post op pain is controlled. Work with staff while you are still in hospital to get your pain management cocktail just right.

Have your mobility aids like grabbers at the ready and your recovery nest set up - and you are good to go!

All sorted @Jaycey, I think I’m probably over prepared with a whole cupboard of kit! They’ve said to leave on crutches, so I’m taking my own in as they’re fancy and I’m quite used to them now…

Hello all,

I left work yesterday for three months, I am packing my hospital bag today and feeling very afraid and tearful. Very humbled by a friend getting a PAO last week which seems a much more difficult surgery to overcome and who is facing recovery with a grit and determination that I wish I possessed.

My running joke is that I want to run for the hills but the crutches won’t let me. The fear is just awful today. Am I allowed a glass of wine four days beforehand as I think I might be in need of one?!

Six years of waiting to be ‘bad enough’ and then two years of waiting on a list due to COVID haven’t helped me at all. I am truly amazed by everyone who has managed to do this. I am a puddle of anxiety and wracked with fear and doubt.

Thank you all for your kindness so far, you’re a very nice bunch.

It won't be long until you are also on the list of everyone who has managed this :egypdance:
You got this.

Remember for every person posting their troubles, there are very many who haven't had anything but ordinary mundane to-be-expected problems. It's a huge majority!

Maybe if you ask here about your specific fears someone will respond with reassurances for you. Maybe just typing them out will help to dissipate the anxiety.

Sending calming vibes your way!

Awww, big hugs to you! I’m sorry you’re feeling so anxious. Many if not most of us understand and have been there. You will be in good hands, the medical professionals you deal with on Wednesday will make this easy on you, keeping you engaged as they prep you for surgery. This will be just another day on the job for them, doing what they‘ve trained to do and what they do best. You will be safe and well cared for.

It’s been a long road on your way to surgery and all of the emotional ups and downs will soon be over. Be confident in a positive result and try to keep your focus on a brighter future, recapturing life as you knew it before your hip began deteriorating. Realize that joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

As difficult as it may be, try to stay busy in the days leading up to your surgery, it will help.
Accept that you’ve made the right decision and this is the right time, a week from now you’ll be days into your recovery and I’m sure doing well. We will be there with you as your biggest cheerleaders every step of the way. I’m wishing you comfort and will say a prayer for your peace of mind. We’re here whenever you need us, day or night, and if you need to be talked off the ledge over the next few days (extreme exaggeration, lol) we’ll be here for you. We understand and we do care. :console2:

PS I certainly don’t see why you can’t have a glass of wine.
@ReluctantHippy

@ReluctantHippy
We are all terrified, and want to run for the hills, and like you ,our crutches won't let us.
A glass of wine 4 days ahead, should be fine.

Your surgeon and surgical team have done this 100's of time with all of scared to death patients and will calm us down. Once you sign consents they will give you something to relax you.

Take some deep breaths, and look out your window for a minute, while you are enjoying your wine,

The challenging initial weeks are the ones that scare me the most…

Just read back and saw what you’re fearing…
Try not to project. You’re young and I’m assuming healthy. With good pain management, ice and lots of rest you should be able to remain comfortably mobile. Time will pass more quickly than you’re imagining now and week by week you will grow stronger and be steadier on your feet. You will most likely be wondering why you didn’t do this years ago.
I waited for this extreme pain to grab hold and truthfully, it never did. Think positive and keep moving. I’m sure you’ll do very well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom