help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneegal

Hello. I am a 31 year old who is thinking of a total knee replacement. I have had 5 knee surgeries-(4 cartilege removals and one osteotomy?) I have severe arthritis now and I am wondering if anyone out there has had a partial or TKR at a younger age and any advise? thanks

Hello and Welcome---
Sure, we have had some folks in their 30s with TKRs. (but not me-- I'm 51 with a PKR). You should hear back from some of them.

Last week we were discussing the new wave in custom engineered implants that are made to conform to your knee and require less cutting of the bone itself. Check out the thread "ConforMIS Iduo partial knee replacement" and follow the link Josephine (our moderator and mentor) for more information. I was impressed by the concept and if you are anywhere near one of the surgeons doing this procedure it might be worth checking out!

The technology is advancing rapidly and becoming available to younger patients. There is no reason to live with the disability of severe OA at any age, IMO. Good luck to you!

Hey I havent had the TKR yet but im scheduled for it soon. Im 29 and I kinda have the same story as you, I have had 8 total surgeries and im in alot of pain so I found a dr that will do the surgery and I just took the plunge. Im nervous but also excited because I may finally be getting rid of this pain. You should definitely find you a good OS and talk about it, and keep asking questions on here because everyone here is awesome. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Hi -
I am 42 and had a rtkr on 7/14. While at this point I am totally frustrated and want to beat the tar out of my PT - I would still have done this. I had 4 (I think) other scopes for removal of cartilage over a 7 year period - I guess the description of TKR due to trauma induced OA describes me.

My first suggestion is to determine if the quality of you life is heavily impacted by your knee - if yes - proceed with the TKR. If it can be managed with pt or meds - hang in there until it impacts you - revisions are tricky and seem to require a great deal more in recovery.

If you proceed - don't let your young age fool you. I did great the first few days after surgery and I guess maybe I thought I was superwoman. I went back to work 4 weeks post tkr and was a fool. I haven't been able to devote the necessary time to "healing" which is totally different for each person. Just make sure you can really give yourself the time - if you need it. Each one of us is different. I have done really well with getting on with life - with an 80 degree bend in my knee. Unfortunately that is something we need to fix.

My OS put it well - there will be good days and there will be bad. My first 14 were really pretty good - staples and all. My last 14 have stunk - not pain - well maybe pain when we get stuck - just major frustration. All in all I am glad I have done it - just waiting to get the full benefit -

And just be really prepared to work - and work hard on the pt.

Hope all goes well for you!
Marianne

Thank you to all who responded. I am very lucky to have a good doctor whom I trust. I have tried all of the shots (cortisone and synvist (sp?) ). My quality of life is diminished every day. It goes out, locks up, and is extremely painful. I hate being on pain meds, so I don't take them--(really how can you with 5 kids???)). I am ready for this to be over. I will wait another two months before going for the surgery to let things heal from the last surgery in June and give myself some time to do even more research. This is a great site and I am glad to hear from some real people who've been through the same type of pain. Thanks again all and I will keep you posted.

Kneegal,
With 5 children my suggestion if you do have TKR is to plan the recovery time. For my business I am a Family Child Care provider. I am 58 and had BTKR on June 18, was in the hospital for 2.5 days then moved to a rehabilitation hospital and had PT and OT for 6 days. When I came home I was walking with crutches outside and none inside the house. My suggestion is to have another adult with you at home while you recover. I came home from rehabilitation on the 26th and I had 9 children here in care on the 30th of June. I did have 4 days to rest.
Don't think this will be a piece of cake. It will definitely make a huge difference in your quality of life post op, but the initial 8 weeks are tough. You will need both an AM nap and a PM nap in the first couple of weeks. You will be on narcotics.....
So, plan to have help in the home. How old are your children? Can the oldest be of some help? If none of them are in their teens, I would suggest you get help from the local home health agency in your area.
I had a parent with me daily for 7 weeks. I have been on my own caring for 5 children for the past 3 weeks. I am still tired at the end of the day. I also still take pain medication in the AM and PM daily.
I hope this helps!
Good Luck with the surgery as it is definitely worth it!
Best,
Crystal

I do have 3 teenagers--so they will be of help. My hubby is a great help and he will be home with me as long as I need him. The winters here are very rough and I am hoping that my knee will last through the next few months. The pain at times is horrendous, but I still want to give it some time. The five weeks I spent on crutches after this last surgery was really tough for me and I am not looking forward to another surgery, but I am feeling as though there is no other choice. I am going to hold off as long as I can, but I am tired of limping and tired of the pain!!!! It is extremely frustrating to feel so old and yet be young. More to come. I saw my doctor again and he has given me the same advice as so many of you---so I will continue to hold out for a while, but I don't know how much longer I will last..

Hi Kneegal
I'm 45 and had a tkr and I have to say that at one month the pain that I have suffered with for so many years is gone! But that is not to say that all pain is gone. On the contrary the healing goes on and will go on for some time. All this aside you fit the typical prospect for a tkr and unfortunately you have played all of your cards as best as you can. Now it is time to do your home work and find the best OS that you can and settle into the fact that surgery might need to happen. I wish you all the best......
Ralph

Hiya Kneegal
I am 42 and had my tkr on 10th september which was a Wednesday and I was home by 13th September,with a knee bend of 95 degrees and could lay my leg flat along the bed for the first time in two years I hav my first physio on Monday yes it was hard work and yes it was painful,but I have had my first nights sleep without the awful grinding pain of the past two years which no pain killer would touch,the pain I have now will go,and is tolerable with the right painkillers.....the people on this site are so knowlegable and if your down they pick you right back up,and all ahev some experience to share with you,best of all they have all been there done it and have the t-shirt.
Best of luck
Nin

Kneegal,
I'm a 39 year old mother of 3 boys, and I had left TKR on June 9. True, it has been tough, but SO worth it! I woke up in recovery on the CPM machine with no more joint pain. True, there is a lot of surgical pain, but that will go away (when, I can't say, I'm not there yet). I rode a bike for 6.5 miles a couple of weeks ago, and I have never been so thrilled with myself. I truly could not believe it! When I have a bad day, I try to remember the growing number of good days! Good luck, and keep your head up!
Hess

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties