Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Help with finding soft underwear?

Hibiscus

Country
United States United States
Hello! My mom is having hip replacement surgery in a couple of weeks. She is very concerned about not being able to wear underwear post op. Has anyone found anything really soft and non-irritating? Also, they have to be briefs. Going without is not an option for her. Thanks!

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
The incision will be covered.. Some gals buy mens boxer briefs to avoid the dreaded elastic.

I have thought of cutting off leggings above the knee and wonder if that has worked for anyone.

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
If I were buying for my mom, I would buy a few pairs now of different brands/styles/sizes for her to try on in advance. If you have a look at the “badges of honor” area of this website, you’ll get a sense of the variety of sizes and locations scars might be. One thing to keep in mind is that you’ll want to size up to allow for some swelling and the bandage if you get underwear that will cover the incision. I would also look to see if you can find fabric that has some elastane (spandex) in it, as a little bit of stretch would make the fabric more comfortable. We see other people suggest men’s knit boxers, because the only elastic sits well away from the scar up at the waist.

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
@mainegirl1 I had a look at men’s boxers and saw a newer style called boxer/briefs and I think they may be very close to what you’re considering with your cutoff leggings, as they’re more fitted around the leg than the old-fashioned cut, and made of soft, stretchy knit.

julesglass

graduate
Country
I do like the boxer briefs comfortable. They stretch well and no elastic around legs. I have continue to wear them because of no elastic around the legs which I find uncomfortable. I too will have to have undies due to weaker bladder after surgery. I've bought some men's depends pads to insert underwear.:whistle:

trenna

Country
Canada Canada
Personally, I went with bikini cut because they were out of the way of my entire incision. After my staples were out I bought a pair of long legged "shaper" underware because the compression in them helped with the swelling around my incision.

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I purchased a package of underwear one size larger than I normally wear for the very same concerns as your mom has. They worked fine. The incision is covered so it was not the issue I had imagined. She will make out fine whichever ones she chooses.

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
i had these wide millskin that stretch and were super comfy. Asked hubby to buy more and I had bilateral. It's like nothing and now I no longer have bandages it feels great.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Susaq02
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom