Help finding a doctor for partial knee replacement

tmward86

Country
United States United States
I was in a motorcycle accident in May 2018 and hospitalized for 2 days before they bounced me. Xrays showed no breaks or fractures. Took almost 2 months before they would MRI my knee. Came back as a lot of fluid on and just below my right knee. I did the whole RICE thing along with PT.

Finally in November 2018 (right before Thanksgiving) I underwent an arthroscopy to see if the orthopedic surgeon could find any problems. It was then discovered that there was next to no cartilage in the trochlear groove (right under the knee cap). My knee was going bone on bone and I had developed severe arthritis. It is over a large area.

I was referred to another Doctor to see if stem cells would be an option, but since the area was so big it wouldn’t work. After that, my doc wanted me to wait and see how things worked out. Instead I opted to see a doc who did partial knee replacements within this group of doctors. I saw him and he said I was “too young” to have a partial and I had to try all the options first anyways. So I gimped out of there with a steroid injection.

The other things I have to do are exercise to make my quads stronger and lose weight. As if I didn’t know it would be better for me to lose some weight as I have gained quite a bit since the accident. This doctor said I need to “hold out 5 to 10 years” before he would consider doing the surgery.

My question is, is there a doctor in Iowa that would do a partial on a 32 year old? I’ve done (and do) the PT, I’ve tried different medications (still needing to find one to help with pain), done the shot (which didn’t work), and as for loosing weight: it’s hard to do when you're in pain and don’t have a local gym to go swimming at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely find another doctor. I get it they want to try everything before replacement, especially with younger patients but it is lousy being stuck with the pain in the meantime. Good luck Tim

My knee was going bone on bone and I had developed severe arthritis. It is over a large area. I was referred to another Doctor to see if stem cells would be an option, but since the area was so big it wouldn’t work. After that, my doc wanted me to wait and see how things worked out. Instead I opted to see a doc who did partial knee replacements within this group of doctors. I seen him and he said I was “too young” to have a partial and I had to try all the options first anyways. So I gimped out of there with a steroid injection. The other things I have to do are exercise to make my quads stronger and loose weight.
Hello @tmward86 - and :welome:

I'm sorry your knee is giving you problems.

It used to be that you had to wait until you're "old enough" for a knee replacement. Nowadays, that's a very old-fashioned idea. We've had people here in their thirties, and even in their twenties, who have had knee replacements.
You need to look for a surgeon who deals with younger patients and who will look at the state of your knee before he looks at your age.

Start by using the "Find a Clinic" tab (in the blue band at the top of the page. Make a list of doctors who might be suitable, and then start phoning. Ask if the surgeon does knee replacements on younger patients, and how many (in total) replacements he/she does in a year. You want a surgeon who does about 500 knees and hips per year, because a skilled surgeon is one of the most important factors in getting a good result.

Jamie may be able to recommend a surgeon, if you ask her. Tag her, give her your zip code, and tell her how far you are prepared to travel.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...er-how-to-answer-when-someone-tags-you.15223/

Since your knee is already bone on bone, nothing is going to help it, except for a replacement. Injections and physio aren't going to cure it. While they may allow you a little more time, I can't see the point of them. Why live your life in pain, spending time going from one temporary "fix" to another? You're too young for that.

It may well be advisable to consider having a total knee replacement (TKR) instead of a partial (PKR). While PKRs may last for about 15 years, many do not. Some even have to be replaced within the first year. A TKR can last much longer, more than 30 years.

One of the main reasons why PKRs fail is because arthritis has spread from one knee compartment to other compartments of the knee. Since you said that you already have severe arthritis, this could happen to you.

Above all, don't have a patello-femoral knee replacement. They don't seem to have a very good track record.

In case you think that a TKR would limit your mobility, have a look at some of these stories:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Yes, they've done you a big favour. You need a total, not a partial. Persist and you'll find someone who will do it for you.

I see you are fairly near Des Moines. Here are a couple of surgeons you could obtain another opinion from:

Des Moines

Dr. Devon Goetz
Dr.Mark Isaacson
DMOS Orthopedic Center
Des Moines, Iowa
515-224-5328

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member