HELP! Double TKR in six weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowdy66

graduate
Having both knees done April 7. Saw my surgeon last Tuesday and got steroid injection in each knee, which usually gives me about 10-11 weeks of a bit of relief, (each day the relief is a little less) and this time got less than a week of relief. Today I am in more pain than I have been in since the inception of my knees going out about a year and a half ago. Can't believe that I have been in this much pain for this long and am just now getting around to having the surgery but I wanted to lose weight and have lost about 50 pounds or so. I was really encouraged to read the post of the lady who had double TKR and was in hospital 2 1/2 days and in rehab 1 day. My surgeon says I will be in hospital three days and in rehab facility for a week. Hopefully I will do really well and won't have to be away from home that long. Have always been pretty resilient but I know this is a tough surgery and that it is going to take time to recover so I don't have unrealistic expectations. Even though my husband and son, who lives with us, are always urging me to sit down I have really fought through the pain to keep moving but today has been the hardest day I can remember having. Have been on strong pain meds for a number of years due to cervical spinal stenosis and severe arthritis degeneration in my spine in general but I have to say that nothing touches the pain in the knees and I would really appreciate it is anyone can give me any advice on how to get some pain relief from now until the surgery. I think we have bought every pain relief cream on the market and nothing works. I know I am not alone in the pain I am going through and that there are many, many people who would gladly trade their pain for mine. It just becomes difficult to stay focused when you hurt all the time. I am so grateful to have found this board and look forward to reading everyone's posts. Thanks for listening. Rowdy66

Hey, Rowdy! Welcome! You have found the right place, for sure.

My latest song on here is, have you tried a TENS machine? You can put the electrodes a pair on each knee or all four on the knee that is worst. But they will act as a bit extra to the pain meds. You can get good ones, 2 channels meaning pairs of electrodes, on Ebay for around $20 + shipping.

As far as the op goes, just do remember that even though you spend such a short time in hospital, a bilateral is still MAJOR, MAJOR surgery and you shouldn't expect to bounce back like you've had a tooth extraction! Read around the threads. You can look forward to 3-6 months of feeling life is a struggle, unending pt and pain meds not to mention the post op blues!! (I said DON'T mention the post of blues!!)

But the up side is that we will all still be here, 24/7 and ready to help you pick up the pieces in the middle of the night when you feel it's all too much or you want to rejoice over your latest little triumph! You won't regret it one little bit.

Glad to have you on board.

Thank you for such a speedy reply Josephine. Today has been my down day it seems. Yesterday was my day to wake up at 1am and lay in bed scared to death of the surgery and the whole process, hurt so bad today I certainly am not worried about the surgery. LOL. One thing I have never lost is my sense of humor, hopefully it will hold me in good stead through the rest of this process. I have a pretty good idea about what I am going to have to go through but compared to what I am going through now at lease there will be an end to look forward to.

I had a tens several years ago for my back but it didn't work all that well, which doesn't mean I would not be willing to try it for my knees. I may skip (yeah!) over to EBAY and see what they have to bid on. That is just one of my favorite sites anyway.

Had not thought of post surgery blues but am certainly glad to be aware that it will be lurking. You know what they say, to be informed is to be prepared. At least I won't be caught unaware and now I have this site to add to my arsenal.

Glad to be on board, glad you guys are here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie