PKR HelloMako’s patellofemoral recovery

Today is 6 weeks for me and I’m feeling good about my recovery. Earlier I struggled with tendinitis in both patellar and quadriceps tendon...probably a tendency of mine aggravated by trying to be too “good” of a patient both in the hospital and my one home PT visit at one week post op.

But I love my outpatient PT! He practices the McKenzie Method of mechanical diagnosis therepy (MDT). Work to discomfort, never pain, stays with me the whole time wanting feedback about how what I’m doing feels and will modify if any part of a movement hurts. I do a stretch where I put my foot on a chair with arms and just lean forward to the point it becomes uncomfortable. Because of the tendonitits other stretches just made me feel worse, but this one doesn’t activate my muscles and I’m completely in control, it’s been really beneficial.

My leg is weak and visibly much smaller than the other one, so just yesterday was given a simple strengthening exercise that doesn’t load the tendons too much, and warned not to do more or do foot over foot stairs yet (though I’m able to going up) as it will prolong tendon healing. I feel like this approach has really helped me, very different than any other PT I’ve had, and I’ll be more knowledgeable as far as handling my own rehab when I’m discharged!

So, the stats...0/125 ROM, slight to moderate swelling, stopped percocette 2 weeks ago, now just take Aleve at bedtime. Walking without a limp but if I’m up to much it gets tight, and it buckles sometimes due to weakness. Still get tired so easy, and still not sleeping well at night. Can pedal all the way around on the bike! I think things are going great and the gains between weeks 5 and 6 have made me feel so much better!

Thank you for asking!

That is an awesome report!

So, I noticed at about 3 weeks post op I had some thinning at my hairline and more hair in my hairbrush.

Now at 6 weeks the fallout continues and my hair feels thinner all over. I suspect it’s related to surgery, which lasted about an hour, and general anesthesia. I’m trying not to be too alarmed, but frankly I’m a little alarmed!

Anybody else experience hair loss after surgery?

Anybody else experience hair loss after surgery?
I didn't, bu tmy husband did, after major surgery last year. It continued for about a month and then returned to the normal amount of hair loss. His hair is a little thinner, but he still has plenty.

I haven’t noticed a hair loss, but it does seem thinner/different, even now at 2 years post op. I guess it could also be aging in my case, I’m 63.

Hi there, I hope you enjoyed a lovely Easter Sunday.

No worries on the thinning hair, you're not alone. Hair loss post op has been discussed here before. Possible causes can be a combination of the surgery (body trauma) stress, general anesthesia, NSAID's, anti-inflamatories, and some prescription meds. The good news is you should see a full reversal once your growth cycle normalizes, typically happening within six months. Following is an article from our Library that may be of interest to you ~
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hair-loss-following-surgery-trauma-stress.22564/
I hope the info eases your mind.
Best wishes for a great week!
@HelloMako

Hi everybody. For those of you that had Synvisc injections before your surgery, I would love to know your experience with it, either positive or negative. If it worked for you, how long did it take to be effective, and how long did you get relief?

It’s 14+ weeks since my right patellofemoral PKR and I’m feeling good with just some mild patellofemoral tendinitis. My left knee is also bone on bone but had been feeling really good...right up until the day it didn’t! It’s now more painful than the right ever was.

During my “feeling good window” we planned a trip to Glacier National Park and I’d like to at least do some easy hikes. Thanks!

@HelloMako I had the injections maybe 3 times and I never felt a significant improvement. Don't want to say it did nothing for me but my insurance didn't cover it and at, I think, it was $800 I stopped because the results didn't seem to be worth the cost. I know there are people out there that it did help. I heard from more than one doctor "if you think it helps.....", had it been free or cheaper I would have kept at it.

I'll be interested to hear what others experience of it was.

Last edited:
I had the shot once, before my surgery, and it did nothing to help.

It hurt a lot going into my knee and it took me 2 days to walk normally. I guess it should have been a huge red flag for me going ahead with my Patellofemoral which has had a poor outcome.

My surgeon was really good to me regarding this shot, at the time since I hadn’t met my deductible, it was going to cost me about $700, so they made a bunch of phone calls and got it as a sample. I only had to pay my $50 copay for the office visit to get it.

@Benay I’d take a small improvement at this point, just to make it through our trip. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I don’t have to worry about the cost as we met our out of pocket maximum for the year. Lot of money spent this year, on not a lot of fun...but worth it.

@Jockette, that was so nice of your surgeon to get you the sample! You know, I don’t think I would have thought of it not working as a red flag. It would have probably made me think even more strongly that I needed the surgery. It sounds like you were a good candidate for it, you had no way of knowing.

Then I'd do it, it never made me worse and the injection didn't hurt and no after effects. Think I was told takes 2 weeks for full improvement to show. Good luck! Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
@Benay thanks! I’m scheduled to get it two weeks before we leave, so perfect. I’m planning to finish a prednisone dose pack before we leave, my surgeon even prescribed a few tramadol to get me through if I need them. I think it will work out but plan to enjoy whatever I can do. Sometimes I think I wish I’d done bilateral PKR and this would be all behind me, but really, that sounds too hard. Kudos to all you bilaterals!

Looks like you have it all taken care of. Plenty of prep and back up!

@HelloMako, I hope you have recovered well from your right patellofemoral replacement. I have been offered a patellofemoral replacement for my left knee. I have stubbornly kept thinking that I am too young, but I think it's time to consider it more seriously. I have stopped doing my favorite activities (walking and hiking).

I have traveled to the Hospital for Special Surgery, but I would like to get surgery closer to home if possible. I notice you live in Michigan. Would you be willing to share the name of your surgeon? I live in the Detroit area.

Thanks so much

@rubia76 Welcome to BoneSmart! HelloMako has not been on BoneSmart for quite awhile. Off living life with that new knee I guess.

I looked in our database and one of our members recommended Dr Sam Nasser. He has a practice in 3 offices in Troy and Dearborn.

You can also try our Surgeon Locator tool - top of page on the blue bar.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back