TKR Hello, I'm new here, just registered.

GordonG

Country
United States United States
Thought I'd drop a note here. I've been reading some here off and on for the past few months. I really appreciate all the information that is on this site. It has helped a lot.

I've known for about 6 months now that I'll be needing TKA surgery. I was just scheduled this week for February 7th. I was a little surprised that they are able to do it that fast.

I'm growing more and more anxious/nervous about it. I've got my pre-surgery doctors appointment tomorrow morning. I've got
a whole list of questions for him.

Hi and Welcome!

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I recently came across this list and saved it. You may want to look through it and see if there are any questions here that you haven’t thought of and are interested in asking.

Good luck with your appointment! Let us know how it goes. We‘ll be here for support every step of the way if you need us.

How many THRs do you perform per year?
Surgical approach?
What type of prosthesis?
Cement or non-cement?
How long does the procedure take?
Can I have anti-nausea meds?
Will I have any weight bearing restrictions (if yes for how long)?
Anaesthesia (spinal or GA)?
Will I have a catheter post-op?
What other restrictions will I have and for how long?
What is your post-op pain management plan?
Stitches, staples or glue wound closure?
Bathing/shower how soon?
Can I function on my own at home from day 1?
PT how soon (home or outpatient)?
When can I drive?
Who can I contact with any post-op problems?
@GordonG

Hi @GordonG: Welcome, and congrats on getting a surgery date.

Pre-op anxiety it totally normal! And it does indeed become more intense as we get closer to our date. We've all been through and we're here to help!

How did your doctor's appointment go today?

Thanks for the welcome posts.
The doctors visit was good, actually met with his PA instead of the Dr, but that's ok, he is very knowledgeable and actually helps with the surgery. All of my questions were answered. He actually told me that there was a limit of 72 questions when I told him I had a list of them. (He was joking!) I told him then we're good cause I only have 71. Actually was about 18-20.
I will have surgery at a major hospital in the area. I may or may not have to stay overnight. I guess it depends on how well I do in recovery and with pain after surgery.

Hardest part is the mental game. All the best to u for a speedy and stress free recovery;)

Hardest part is the mental game. All the best to u for a speedy and stress free recovery;)
Thanks! I know that having been through other more minor surgeries. This one is the biggest, most severe.

Had my TKR in March 2023. Was tough on me, my family and my career but the best decision I ever made to be honest. It’s all about small victories all along the way.

Focus on the next step, in your case, preparing yourself for the TKR. Lots of good people with good advice on here. You will wake up feeling overwhelmed but it’s normal. Push yourself but don’t hurt yourself. Believe that you can and you will have success

Had my TKR in March 2023. Was tough on me, my family and my career but the best decision I ever made to be honest. It’s all about small victories all along the way.

Focus on the next step, in your case, preparing yourself for the TKR. Lots of good people with good advice on here. You will wake up feeling overwhelmed but it’s normal. Push yourself but don’t hurt yourself. Believe that you can and you will have success

---------------------------------------
I think you meant March of 2022?!?
Anyway....
Thanks for that.

New developments today. Got a call from doctors office saying that they forgot to give me the "special soap" to use prior to surgery. And that they have no results of a nicotine test. I told them that I don't smoke or use nicotine, but that they need the test. So I had to make a special run into a local lab for another blood draw for the nicotine test. And next week I get to drive 25 miles back to the surgeons office to pickup the soap they forgot. Uggg!

Then got another call later in the day today from the PA that I saw yesterday saying that he forgot to mention what medications to not take and how many days before surgery to stop. Oh, and not to eat after midnight the night prior to surgery.

Makes me wonder sometimes. Hopefully they won't forget something in the middle of surgery. :dubious:

Got a call from doctors office saying that they forgot to give me the "special soap" to use prior to surgery.
And next week I get to drive 25 miles back to the surgeons office to pickup the soap they forgot. Uggg!
This is nonsense. I would call and ask them what type of soap you need to use and purchase it at your local pharmacy or even big box retailer. You can purchase it over the counter. Any CVS or Walgreens should carry something like Hibiclens which is one that is commonly used.
Look for it in the First Aid section.

I don't smoke, but I never heard of the nicotine test. I don't blame you for your apprehension, but I'm sure all will go off without a hitch. Not long to go now. I wish you comfort as you wait.

I was given the Hibiclens with a lot of paperwork listing all pre op info when I scheduled the surgery. The pre op info said if you dont have Hibiclens to use Dial anti bacterial soap.
My husband is having surgery on Monday and his pre op instructions also say Dial antibacterial soap.
To save yourself the trip you could call and ask if there is something otc you can use.

Best Wishes on your surgery tomorrow!
Hopefully you'll begin sharing your recovery with us when you're back home resting comfortably. Please join us on the Knee Recovery Forum when you're feeling up to it, we'll have some guidelines to share. Hope to see you there soon!
@GordonG

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562